How to move disk from slot 14 to 4

Hi, just a quick question, had a search around and can't find the answer to this.

I list the disks in the unRaid menu in the same order as they physically sit in my server to make it easy to identify which they are if I ever need to remove or replace any.

I've physically moved disk 14 into slot 4 in the server. How do I re-number disk 14 to disk 4 in the unRaid menu please?

If I try like the screenshot it states all data will be deleted when I start the server so this option doesn't work.

What is the correct way to do this please?

Is the only way to use the initconfig command to reset the array configuration data, re-add each disk in the unRaid menu, then fully rebuild parity?

Hoping there's an easier way where parity would stay valid as it takes about a day and a half to rebuild the parity then it will need to recheck too.

Thanks,

Ben

Move disk 14 to slot 4.PNG

7 minutes ago, mrbens said:

Thanks, that did the trick. I think that is the same as the initconfig from the command line but I hadn't thought about telling it to trust parity so that has saved me having to rebuild the parity from scratch.

Note that if you have dual parity and tell unRAID to trust parity then you would find that the contents of parity2 are invalid as the calculations for deriving parity2 include the disk positions.   This means you cannot swap disks to new slots and have parity2 remain valid.   Parity1 calculations do not use the disk positions so parity1 is not affected if disks are reordered.

• 2 years later...

Same situation as OP, but I’m physically moving my Parity Disk to a slot currently holding a data disk. Just completed an unrelated Parity check, so timing seems perfect.

Anything I need to do differently, or swap disks / new config / re-order in GUI / trust Parity works just as simply for (single) Parity In 6.8.3?

Thanks for any guidance!

Edited by wheel
4 hours ago, wheel said:

Same situation as OP, but I’m physically moving my Parity Disk to a slot currently holding a data disk. Just completed an unrelated Parity check, so timing seems perfect.

Anything I need to do differently, or swap disks / new config / re-order in GUI / trust Parity works just as simply for (single) Parity In 6.8.3?

Thanks for any guidance!

If you are only physically moving the drives and don't want to change the logical slots in the GUI, then you don't have to do anything. The new config is only necessary when you want to assign different drives to the logical slots, nothing to do with the physical location.