Trying to remember a UPS feature I need to look for

I remember reading something a few weeks ago about UPSs. Someone had a UPS that worked with unRAID's APC daemon and it would shut down the server properly during an outage, but it would not display the UPS load or runtime or anything while running on AC power. It was explained that the UPS that this person had lacked a certain feature that was required for this information to be displayed.

Now that I am actively shopping for a UPS, I want to keep a watch out for that feature, but I don't remember what it's called and now I can't for the life of me find that discussion again.

Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Furthermore, can anyone confirm some UPS models that will display all info within unRAID?

Edited by Phastor

Well, I have a CyberPower CP600 and an APC Back-UPS XS BX1000G.  Both display all of the data on the unRAID UPS plugin.  (In fact, there is where I got the model numbers from.)  I would think any of the mid-range (price wise) APC or Cyberpower UPS's would do the same.   Just avoid the off-brands and the super cheap ones from APC and CyberPower.  You might also want to be careful of anything that is on the really high end range (>1600VA) as they are probably intended for commercial use in Data Centers, etc. and may have some special interface requirements necessary for use in that type of environment.

Edited by Frank1940
  • 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2017 at 7:55 AM, Frank1940 said:

Well, I have a CyberPower CP600 and an APC Back-UPS XS BX1000G.  Both display all of the data on the unRAID UPS plugin.  (In fact, there is where I got the model numbers from.)  I would think any of the mid-range (price wise) APC or Cyberpower UPS's would do the same.   Just avoid the off-brands and the super cheap ones from APC and CyberPower.  You might also want to be careful of anything that is on the really high end range (>1600VA) as they are probably intended for commercial use in Data Centers, etc. and may have some special interface requirements necessary for use in that type of environment.

Thanks for the info!

I looked up the BX1000G, but it doesn't appear to be available on Amazon. I'm looking at the BR700G right now. Doesn't have as much capacity, but more fits my price range. Looking into whether or not it will display all info or not.

Edited by Phastor

You might want to read through this thread:

My suggestion (for when you get any UPS) is to set the time-on-battery parameter to about thirty seconds.  (This time should be selected by your experience with how long the power might be out before your power company can quickly resume supply without requiring extensive field work that will usually take longer than a hour.  This interval covers the  automatic cycling of lightening arrestors and circuit breakers as well as power surges and brownout conditions.)  I also provides for battery capacity to handle a second outage that occurs after the power comes back on and your decide to restart the server.  (Battery recharge times are usually longer than eight hours!)

Thanks again! I'll look through that.

Whenever I have an outage, I usually wait a good long while after power has come back up before I bring the server back online for that reason.

I actually forgot about this thread and my UPS research until we had a power outage last night. Currently having to suffer through a parity check reminded me really quick, so hopefully now I'll get into gear and get that thing ordered sooner than later.