Business Class Router/FW suggestions

kopuz

Hello UNRAID community,

I move a great deal of traffic at home for business and pleasure and I am interested in purchasing a business class wired router/fw.  I move a HUGE amount of traffic in house and externally so I want something that can handle my activity.  I do not want my router to be wireless as I will setup a couple AP's separately.  The type of traffic that is present daily is multiple VPNs, multiple Plex streams, large file transfers internally and externally, upwards of 20 devices connected internally, a DMZ for web-hosting and so on and so on.

Would anyone have any suggestions on a router/fw that would fit my needs?  Thank you all in advance!

Not sure what your budget is, but I use Watchguard products exclusively and have done so for 15 years. I am an IT professional and sell them to all my clients. If you are in the USA I have the following link from Amazon. This firewall can do everything you require and then some. It has a yearly renewal for the security suite and support which is currently $385, these prices are USD of course.

https://www.amazon.com/Watchguard-Firebox-T30-ports-WGT30031-US/dp/B0174X7102/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1501188748&sr=1-1&keywords=WGT30031-US

I'd take a look at Ubiquity equipment too.

When I had 500mbit internet I used a ubiquity edgerouter lite, also had a few static VPN links up and the router never broke a sweat

I also generated a huge amount of traffic locally and externally pretty much 24/7, but my setup wasn't 20 connected devices though. The lite router might be a bit too small for your needs.

Unifi security gateway or bigger variants of edgerouter could also be an alternative depending on your needs, price is quite good vs business grade "higher end" gear (i.e cisco, juniper etc). Management is superb too. 

I am using IPFire on an Asrock Q1900M Board, 4GB-RAM (max. 16GB) with two Intel i210-T1 Server-Adapters. This hardware can easy handle a 1000Mbit-WAN connection with various clients and VPNs.

Most important are the both Server-NICs so don't use Onboard-Realtek crap xD

Edited by Zonediver

What is the Internet connection type and speed/bandwidth?  How many VPNs?  Will the VPN clients/servers be on this router or just the tunnel passing through this router?  If hosted on the router, what is the VPN encryption type (AES?) and level (128bit, 256bit, etc.)?  Are you looking to buy ready-to-run with OEM support or roll your own?

Edited by unevent

i have a good experience with Microtik products - bought RB750Gr3 (https://mikrotik.com/product/RB750Gr3)  with builtin  IPsec Hardware encryption recently and use it as primary router(and VPN Client to main office) for my out-of city house. and then their Cloud Host Router which i use in main office as VPN server(installed under ESXi as VM). i'm using these cos i'm very pleased with their proper RouterOS which have plenty of various features..  

• 2 weeks later...