[solved] disk errors - "md: disk0 read error" What do I need to do next?

Hi there,

I'm not 100% sure what I need to do here. Is my parity drive shot?

First, can someone please confirm that disk0 is the parity drive?

I suspected it was so I ran SMART test on it. (My parity drive is the one:

"WDC WD20EARX-00PASB0")

As you can see from the diagnostics attached, the drive seems to fail SMART test also.

Is there something I can do to fix this? Only just installed that drive a few months ago and ran a full days worth of pre-checks on it with preclear so I assumed it would be all good.

thevault-syslog-20170731-1145.zip

thevault-diagnostics-20170731-1145.zip

Edited by Josh.5

That disk is bad.  I would replace ASAP.

BTW, you should understand that passing any type of screening test does not guarantee that a hard disk will last any given period of time.  It could fail three minutes after completing the test or it could last ten years.  Preclear testing will usually catch those disks which are going to fail very early in life (~100 hours--- often called infant mortality) but three plus months is not an infant mortality type of failure.  You just got hit with a bit of bad luck with that disk.  Luckily, it should be in warranty. 

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me exactly what parts of it failed? I couldn't get my head around it. To me, it looked like it had just reallocated a sector. Is this not right?

At any rate today I went into the shop and grabbed a new WD Red to replace it. It's currently running through a pre-clear as I'm writing this. Hopefully, this is the end of my issues.

Is there any hope for an HDD like that which fails? I was thinking of using it for a temp torrent DL cache drive which incurs heavy read writes but affords me no major issue if I suddenly lost all data on the disk one day

The thing that is bad is the number of Pending Sectors (i.e. sectors that cannot be read reliably) being non-zero.    It is possible that some might be ‘false positives’, and disappear if you tried a pre-clear on the disk, but it is unlikely that all of them will disappear (at least permanently).    If another disk failed then a non-zero value of Pending sectors on the parity drive would result in significant corruption of the rebuilt drive.

you MIGHT get away with using it outside the array for non-critical data but I would be very wary of doing so as Pending Sectors can lead to silent data corruption.

Edited by itimpi
  • Upvote 1