unRAID box

wobblewoo

Hello.

Rather than buy a NAS (Synology etc) for home use to hold photos, Music, Video etc (Will have a second machine running Plex accessing the data) i was thinking of buying an HP microserver and filling it with Hard Drives (WD Reds) and just run unRAID on it.

My question is, would a Celeron G1610T (2 core, 2.3 GHz, 2MB, 35W) in a Socket H2 (LGA 1155) be fast enough?

The machine im looking at will hold 4x3.5inch SATA, i can put an extra SSD in and boot from a USB.

Standard 4Gb RAM 1600MHz

https://www.serversdirect.co.uk/p/1039108/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen8-intel-celeron-g1610t-dual-core-.30ghz-mb-4-x-non-hotplug-

The G1610T is dual cores and has 2,322 Passmarks and the system you linked has 4GB of RAM.  That's more than sufficient to run unRAID as a NAS, and maybe a couple of lightweight dockers.  If you don't setup any Dockers you don't necessarily need the SSD, it depends on whether you really need to do write-caching to the array.

• Upvote 1

I will mainly use it for file storage for family photos etc, an ITunes library and repository for films etc. Home use.

No idea what a docker is - il look. (Im new to unRAID)

Not really fussed by the write-caching as it will be recording video in real time - so a 5400 WD Red will do just fine.

Ive a i5 at home spare so may swap that out (1155 slot that ill have to check) so i can transcode Plex on it too - or upgrade to a Xeon. Plex isn't RAM hungry to that will be fine.

I will prob put a 275Mb SSD i have in bay 1 for the OS and for faster Transcoding for Plex but everything else will go on 3x 3Tb WD Reds i will buy. Is that a good combo, buying 3 of the same drive?

Im starting at the bottom of the learning curve.

Thanks for your help so far

Yeah, ill get a GUID USB Key.

So here in the UK prices are £39.95/Tb for 2Tb; £33.16/Tb for 3Tb; £31.25/Tb for 4Tb. Prices for 6Tb go up.

I was planning on Parity (due to the family photos more than anything). Unless i just back those up to an External drive or Cloud space.

Will adding Parity take out a complete drive, i guess it will? So with 3x 3Tb drives I will get a total of 6Tb storage, is that correct?

If a drive fails - have i then got to get another 3Tb Drive?

Yes, parity requires an entire drive.  Your parity drive needs to be as large as, or larger than, your biggest data drive.  It make sense for it to be at least as fast as your data drives, too.  Therefore your calculations are correct - a 3x3TB array results in 6TB of usable space.  That's another reason why if I only had 4 drives slots that I'd use larger drives.

It's important to keep in mind that parity is *not* a form of backup.  Parity makes your primary form of storage more robust via the redundancy it provides.  You absolutely should have your critical files backed up elsewhere, though - an external drive kept offsite or a cloud storage provider.

• Upvote 1

Perfect.

Was also thinking of getting my SSD into the CD area for VMing. Then i can get a 4th Drive in.

Have you done that?

HP do a build with that processor in place (8Gb Ram vs 4Gb). Should i have got that model. As far as i can tell its the same except the RAM and Processor.

So all up and running. That was easy.

On 8/1/2017 at 11:17 AM, HellDiverUK said:

I used an E3-1230LV2 in a Microserver no problems, replacing the 1610T.

I can't find a 1220L, only 1220 on ebay and their TDP is too high.

The 1230 has a TDP of 69W - do you have extra cooling HellDiver.

Many thanks for your help so far.

• 2 weeks later...