How are you using your unRAID server?

Living Legend

4 hours ago, CHBMB said:

I was going to watch it, but my wife beat me to it and watched it first whilst I was at work, now I can't watch it in the evening as she's already seen it..... :/

Your wife's betrayal should force her to watch it a second time with you. That's only fair.

Plain Jane user here...

File Server

Sonarr/NzbGet Dockers

Pre-Clear/USB Backup Dockers

That's about it.  I had at one point used Windows VM to run apps on like Sonarr/NzbGet just due to confusion on usage of dockers.  Been fairly happy moving to dockers for my small needs.

Considering a DB docker to share Kodi DBs but quite honestly don't mind the simplicity and flexibility of just using the standard kodi DBs even if data isn't "synced".

On 8/5/2017 at 3:08 PM, CHBMB said:

I was going to watch it, but my wife beat me to it and watched it first whilst I was at work, now I can't watch it in the evening as she's already seen it..... :/

Lol, That's when I would say... "Sorry Honey, but guess what your going to suffer through and watch with me again" :D

• Upvote 2
27 minutes ago, kizer said:

Lol, That's when I would say... "Sorry Honey, but guess what your going to suffer through and watch with me again" :D

See, that's where you and I differ, I'm guessing you're the boss in your household, whereas.... I am very much not. :D (Although the office and garage are mine! Rest of the house I'm just allowed to occupy)

5 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

Although the office and garage are mine!

You're living the dream.

I've got the garage only for tool storage, and my office I have to share with our freezer and furnace.  >:(

When the last of the kids moved out I started making plans to relocate the office to one of the extra bedrooms and was told in no uncertain terms "No".

2 minutes ago, binhex said:

That is why God in his wisdom made 'the tablet' emoji16.png

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

No.   Why should @CHBMB be relegated to watch a show on a itty-bitty tablet when he's got his 82" 4K TV with 7.1 surround and subs installed within his theater lazy-boy.

16 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I have an 82" 4K TV with 7.1 and a lazyboy?  If it ain't in the office or garage, it ain't mine.... 

You're right.  I misinterpreted the picture.  But at least the audio system is Sony.  (And you have a kick-ass cellphone)

Debs_ghetto_home_theater.jpg

Edited by Squid
  • Upvote 1
23 minutes ago, binhex said:

Speaking of garage, does anybody other then me keep their unraid server there?

I don't, but only because I think it's too dusty, temp variation is too extreme, and my platters might freeze in winter.

20 minutes ago, CHBMB said:

I don't, but only because I think it's too dusty, temp variation is too extreme, and my platters might freeze in winter.

Me too.  -20 lows in Winter potentially (usually around 20-30 inside the detached garage ) and summer 115 in the garage just two weeks ago.

1 hour ago, binhex said:

Speaking of garage, does anybody other then me keep their unraid server there?

I have mine in a basement/garage. My servers are there in a 2x4 constructed, plastic wrapped clean room with filtered air. Basement gets to the 50's in winter (while being 20's outside) and 70's in the summer (when it's 90's outside.)  Cost about 100 buck to build, but worth it to move the noise and heat out of the house.

2 hours ago, CHBMB said:

See, that's where you and I differ, I'm guessing you're the boss in your household, whereas.... I am very much not. :D (Although the office and garage are mine! Rest of the house I'm just allowed to occupy)

Boss? Hardly. I normally end up in my office watching things on my 37" or in our other room similar sized TV. Never mind the 58" Plasma and complete surround system is in the room shes claimed as her reading area.  >:(

And for the record she doesn't like Game of Thrones so I know exactly how you feel. Lol    I'm just glad I was smart enough to have network access in most of the rooms and access to Plex or I'd be seriously mad half the time. 

dust in garage - surprisingly low, in fact my machine is actually extremely clean inside, i had much bigger problems with fluff and dust in the house

temp difference - whilst this can be a concern and for some countries just impossible, for me it works out relatively well, in summer its actually cooler in my garage than the house (around 5-10 C lower), and in winter i simply turn off all the fans and keep the platters spinning, this generally keeps the temp around 10 C higher than air temp.

so its now year 4 of me doing this, and so far i have only had a single drive go bad, not trying to say you all should do this but its actually quite practical, love the fact i have the server out of the way not cluttering up any rooms and i dont have to give a monkeys about the noise from the fans either :-).

@1812 thanks for the response, nice to know im not the only one :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I built an unRAID server about six months ago to replace my existing SageTV server as the current devs for SageTV are mainly using the docker version of SageTV so it is more current and has more functionality than the Windows version.  (FYI - SageTV is similar to Windows Media Center Edition but it is better in most ways - and MCE was killed by MS.  SageTV has had hardware extenders for over a decade that make it easy to have a centralized media server that can record TV and serve up ripped media content to multiple spots in your house.  SageTV was bought by Google several years ago but it was Open Sourced a year or two ago and development has resumed.)

My SageTV unRAID server is connected to two HD-PVRs which are connected to cable boxes so they can record all cable TV content at 1080i or 720p.  I also have two dual tuner HDHR OTA tuners.  All nine TVs in my house have SageTV HD200 or HD300 extenders and this is how we watch media for the most part - watching recorded TV shows or ripped DVD files.  The only downside is that SageTV cannot directly serve up streaming video like Netflix.

My unRAID server also runs Ubiquiti Unifi to control my networking needs as I have five Unifi WAPs and a Unifi router.  I also run other dockers like Letsencrypt, Plex, AirVideoHD, etc.  And, of course, the unRAID server acts as my file server.

My first and only server has been online for just under a year and it's doing so many things, I still find it amazing to think one machine can do so much.  

Specs are in my signature and it's currently delivering (it's the only PC in my household):

1. File Server
  2. Windows 10 VM which is my daily driver
  3. 2x W10 VMs for my two kids so we can all go online at the same time
  4. pfsense VM (although I'm considering a dedicated box as I'm running out of storage so will need the slot to put a SATA card in)
  5. Movies, tv, music, ebooks library via sonarr, CP, Sabnzbd etc served to various clients in the home
  6. Plex for my family when out and about and a few friends and family.  My parents live overseas and just purchased a samsung smart TV and they are now my biggest users!
  7. MineOS server for my kids and their friends
  8. Kodi & musicbrainz database
  9. VPN Server
  10. TV Server with tvheadend
  11. Unifi controller
  12. Bridge for some my smart plugs so they work with Smartthings

It just works so well considering how much it does - best software purchase ever!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/22/2017 at 8:07 PM, DZMM said:

My first and only server has been online for just under a year and it's doing so many things, I still find it amazing to think one machine can do so much.  

Specs are in my signature and it's currently delivering (it's the only PC in my household):

1. File Server
  2. Windows 10 VM which is my daily driver
  3. 2x W10 VMs for my two kids so we can all go online at the same time
  4. pfsense VM (although I'm considering a dedicated box as I'm running out of storage so will need the slot to put a SATA card in)
  5. Movies, tv, music, ebooks library via sonarr, CP, Sabnzbd etc served to various clients in the home
  6. Plex for my family when out and about and a few friends and family.  My parents live overseas and just purchased a samsung smart TV and they are now my biggest users!
  7. MineOS server for my kids and their friends
  8. Kodi & musicbrainz database
  9. VPN Server
  10. TV Server with tvheadend
  11. Unifi controller
  12. Bridge for some my smart plugs so they work with Smartthings

It just works so well considering how much it does - best software purchase ever!

For people operating multiple VMs, what are you using to connect to these VMs?  Do you have some sort of thin client, or is your monitor and peripherals attached directly to your server?

9 hours ago, Living Legend said:

For people operating multiple VMs, what are you using to connect to these VMs?  Do you have some sort of thin client, or is your monitor and peripherals attached directly to your server?

Each VM has a GPU, mouse and keyboard all connected to the server.  

For me it's simply a Laptop running rdp client to connect to a single workhorse VM, might sound a bit of a waste but it's actually easier to do most of my Dev on a VM and just keep the Laptop clean for normal family use