"7 Days to Die" Server without virtualization?

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place so apologies in advance if not. I'm looking to run a 7 Days to Die server and wanted to see if this is possible without virtualization. I see the following dockers but don't really know how to pull them to get this to work:

https://hub.docker.com/r/zobees/7daystodie/

https://hub.docker.com/r/didstopia/7dtd-server/~/dockerfile/

I have added the URL's to the template repository but they don't show. What are my next options?

Thanks in advance.

3 hours ago, cr0nis said:

Hi All,

Not sure if this is the right place so apologies in advance if not. I'm looking to run a 7 Days to Die server and wanted to see if this is possible without virtualization. I see the following dockers but don't really know how to pull them to get this to work:

I have added the URL's to the template repository but they don't show. What are my next options?

Thanks in advance.

There's a few posts in the Real Docker FAQ about running docker containers that don't have templates available.

• 5 months later...
On 8/2/2017 at 12:19 AM, cr0nis said:

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

Did you get a server to work? which docker did you use and what was your experience?

Thanks!

Edit: Nvm, it seems the reason it doesnt work is because steamcmd is 32bit and Unraid is running 64bit without enabling the emulation for 32.

Edited by Necrotic
  • 1 year later...
On 1/2/2018 at 10:02 PM, Necrotic said:

Did you get a server to work? which docker did you use and what was your experience?

Thanks!

Edit: Nvm, it seems the reason it doesnt work is because steamcmd is 32bit and Unraid is running 64bit without enabling the emulation for 32.

Just to follow up on this, emulation flag has been enabled in Unraid (at least on version 6.6.6 that I am running now, not sure where it got changed) so we can now run dockers like this 7dtd server and other steamcmd servers.

- For setup, I went into apps. Bottom left in settings I made sure to enable DockerHub. Went back to apps, did a search for "7dtd" (which reveals no results, but also a link to dockerhub). Once clicked on the link it shows me various versions of it, I used the one from didstopia.

- This brings up the docker setup menu. I went to the dockerfile and looked up the folder, ports and variables I need to set. I set up a path for /steamcmd/7dtd to a folder on my cache drive. Set up all the ports, and set up all the variables (in case I need to change them in the future they will be ready). See below for an example (though the variables aren't shown in this view). Note that you don't need to add "" as part of the keys, just type in the stuff and it adds it automatically.

image.thumb.png.89e57c20ba458e3ddb23f243053409fd.png

- I set up port forwarding on my router for 26900 thru 26902 to my unraid server.

- The docker was started the first time for it to build and download all the files though it promptly crashed (using A17.2). Stopped the container.

- Had to log in thru telnet to the server. Go to my 7dtd folder on the cache and navigate to the server_data folder. This is where the real serverconfig.xml is stored (ignore the one in the main 7dtd folder). I had to "chmod 777 serverconfig.xml" in order to make changes.

- Then I navigated to my folder thru SMB and found this serverconfig.xml file and opened it using Notepad++ (not the regular notepad). I had to delete the complete lines for ZombiesRun and BlockDurabilityModifier. This is critical, I tried to comment them out but didn't do it right, took me a while to find out that I just needed to completely wipe it out to make sure I was doing it right.

- I went ahead and altered the files to my preferred settings, and I added some of the new setting for A17.2. See this.

- After this it was able to start, and I was able to log in.

I hope this helps anyone that may be wanting to add 7dtd or other similar dedicated server dockers to their unraid. I found help all across this forum and others (some of which are linked), but also the good Docker FAQ here in the forums helped quite a bit.

Update: There is now a proper docker maintained by ich777, its what I use now and he made it very easy to install!

Edited by Necrotic
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I'm doing a similar setup, one docker will be navezgane and one docker will be randomgen.

My host is a surplus Dell R720 with 12cores/24threads, 64gb mem. I am consolidating all of my pet projects to one host, 7days docker is a big one as I had a linux box just for it. Does not seem to be very popular, also surprised to see it here. Been lurking threads and learning as I go since joining unRAID.

• Like 1
  • 10 months later...
3 minutes ago, mikokonut said:

Hey guys, do you place serverfiles of both 7 days and steamcmd in cache? Or can you put those in shares?

Cache is part of user shares. Depends on the settings of each user share how it uses cache, but any folder in cache is part of a user share. 

I currently have both files pointed to folders in appdata which sits in the cache drive, however you can point them to any other share either on your array or to  a drive attached via unassigned devices.

image.png.955a64144a3154ff196a9a1b87cd3225.png

As the bulk of the install sits in appdata, this is not part of your docker img file. My docker image is currently around 11GB of 30GB and I have 3 x 7d2d server + lots of other dockers etc. It increased very little on adding 7d2d.

I'd recommend an SSD for 7d2d via unassigned devices if you don't want it on your cache, the game is still poorly optimised so the very low access time of an SSD makes a signficant difference when streaming lots of indiviual assets into the game.

My cache is a pair of 500GB Sata SSD's and  don't notice any issues though only one instance is usually in use.