NORCO RPC-4220 w/20 drive bay + Free mobo - $360

Senjo

Good god, the Norco 4220 is the LOUDEST case I have ever heard.  Seriously, very, very loud.

Try an IBM xSeries 345 they make the Norco sound like a cat purring, but I know what you mean. A mate of mine swapped out his fans the same day he bought his and it was going in his data centre!

I got this built out over the weekend.  After reading online reviews, I swapped out all six fans for Arctic Cooling F8 80mm fans.  The noise level is just fine and I didn't need to shell out for a new fan mount board.  The included motherboard works fine.  All told I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far.

I got this built out over the weekend.  After reading online reviews, I swapped out all six fans for Arctic Cooling F8 80mm fans.  The noise level is just fine and I didn't need to shell out for a new fan mount board.  The included motherboard works fine.  All told I'm pretty happy with my purchase so far.

These ones?  A little expensive, but cheaper than the custom fan plate.  I too am interested in swapping out the existing fans instead of going to the trouble of modding the fan plate.

I ripped out the stock fanplate and replaced it with 3 140mm fans that I glued together. Once I do some more "cosmetic" fixes, I'll post my results.. (so far, works great, quiet and cool.. - even with only 1 80mm fan on the back running)

Ah, ok, thanks smeehrrr.  I thought those others looked kind of odd.

Sweet, Msan, excited to see your results!  I finally got my SAS - SATA cable in the mail today, so I'm starting to actually use the Norco's HDD bays.  I've only got three drives installed now, and with minimal active cooling (fan plate unplugged, rear 2x80mms running) they stayed under 35 C during a parity check, which I think is acceptable.  I do expect them to heat up more as I add more drives, though, so this cooling issue is important to me.

I ripped out the stock fanplate and replaced it with 3 140mm fans that I glued together. Once I do some more "cosmetic" fixes, I'll post my results.. (so far, works great, quiet and cool.. - even with only 1 80mm fan on the back running)

I'd be interesting in seeing this.

I've been flip flopping over the 4220 for a while. I had planned to put it in my garage - so noise would not be an issue - but due to the construction of my house and the length of the cable run that would be required it looks like it's not really feasible to drop a cable into the garage with ease.

So I was going to just expand and quieten my existing CM 590 case. However if you can get the 4220 down to reasonable levels then it could sit happily in the study in a corner and would be a much better solution...