SavellM

Plugin list takes a long time to load

28 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've done a clean fresh new install of rc7a, installed a few plugins, about 4 total.

But clicking on the plugins tab I get the message: Please wait, retrieving and updating plugin information ...

And it takes a good 3/4 minutes to load.

So much so I used to think it hung until once I clicked it, got distracted and came back and it had actually loaded.

Is this normal?

Plugins I've installed:

Dynamix Cache Directories

Dynamix SSD TRIM

Fix Common Problems

Preclear Disks

I've done a clean fresh new install of rc7a, installed a few plugins, about 4 total.

But clicking on the plugins tab I get the message: Please wait, retrieving and updating plugin information ...
So much so I used to think it hung until once I clicked it, got distracted and came back and it had actually loaded.

Is this normal?

Plugins I've installed:
Dynamix SSD TRIM
Fix Common Problems
Preclear Disks
I've had the same issue recently.
Loading plugin page was definitely faster on previous rc.
I noticed that clicking off plugins to docker, and then back to it made it load faster.
Same exact issue with calculating disk usage for shares.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

+1 Thought this was just me!  I'm on RC6 and it's slow there as well

2 hours ago, SavellM said:

Is this normal?

Plugins I've installed:

Dynamix SSD TRIM

Fix Common Problems

Preclear Disks

The plugin page makes an online check for each installed plugin to verify the latest status. How are your network settings, especially DNS?

To omit automatic online checking and introduce manual checking, change "Plugin update notificationd" to "Never check", see Settings-> Notification settings.

All network settings are left at default.

DNS would be done by my router

The plugin page makes an online check for each installed plugin to verify the latest status. How are your network settings, especially DNS?

To omit automatic online checking and introduce manual checking, change "Plugin update notificationd" to "Never check", see Settings-> Notification settings.

This would mean that plugins would never get notified at all on an update being available. Could it be that the check setting such as mine is 4x per day and subsequent notification but delink the page loading from a plugin update check?

yeah, this is an unwelcome change.  I see absolutely no benefit from checking for updates at the exact moment I just want to see the page.

Load the page, then check, or check when I ask to check, or on a regular basis, but forcing every single person to wait for a check when they probably don't care about updates at that exact moment is a step backwards, IMO.

I just checked, and I have it set to check once per day.  So, why check every single time I hit the tab?  I only want to check once/day.  if I've not checked that day, I guess I could see doing the check at that time, but i see NO benefit to checking every time I open the tab, it really makes no sense to me at all.

(please remember, not everyone has GB fiber to their house, some of us have shitty, shitty satellite service, which takes forever to do anything, and these kinds of things are little, constant jabs into the open would which is satellite internet)

Edited by JustinChase
more info

I thought it was just me. ....

Plugs do take a lot longer on my Xeon machine. 

Athlon 6.3.5 running 2000 Passmark

Xeon 6.4.0 running 7000 Passmark easy takes 2x-3x longer to pull the plugin list. 

They are both on the same Network and both use the same cabling and both use the default settings. 

If anyone seeing this behaviour is also utilizing the auto update module of CA to install plugin updates they can safely disable dynamix checking for updates as the plugin will automatically check on its own schedule in the background. Net result is that the screen will show up faster and the check for updates button will also be there

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk because I can

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JustinChase said:

I see absolutely no benefit from checking for updates at the exact moment I just want to see the page.

There *is* a benefit. However, depending on the speed of your network you might not appreciate it.

Let's say a plugin author updates a plugin at 11pm and then your system checks for updates at midnight and sends you a notification that it is out of date.  Then at 1am the plugin is updated again to fix a bug that was just introduced.

In 6.3.5, when you go to the plugins page it would show that a plugin update was available because of the check it did at midnight. However, when you click the update button it will fail because the plugin was updated again after the midnight check.  You have to manually check for updates before you can update the plugin.

To avoid this in 6.3.5, I always hit the Check for Updates button before doing any updates, which is somewhat annoying :)

In 6.4, this issue is eliminated because the plugin status is guaranteed to be correct when the page loads.

I have 12 plugins installed on my 6.4.0-rc8q VM and the delay is noticeable, but not too bothersome.  However, my main system (currently on 6.3.5) has 27 plugins, and I am a little concerned about what the delay will be when I update to 6.4

also sucks when you have multiple updates to do.

page updates when you get to it and you see you have 3 to update.

you tell it to update a plugin.. it updates but then page  has to refresh/re-fetch the same info..

then you update the next.. rinse and repeat. lots of wasted hits for the same info (also if site is unreachable.. long wait times for timeout).

1. needs an update all button
  2. add logic to cache results, only fetch new info if data is older than 5? mins
Edited by zoggy

Just now, zoggy said:

also sucks when you have multiple updates to do.. you do one.. then it has to refresh/re-fetch the same info.. so you can then do the next update.. needs an update all button.

rc8q does not behave this way. It detects when you are coming from the plugin page and skips the check the next time the page reloads.

4 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

rc8q does not behave this way. It detects when you are coming from the plugin page and skips the check the next time the page reloads.

im on rc8q, i do not see it skipping any check. looking at devtools/firebug I can see 4436ms response time for the  "/plugins/dynamix.plugin.manager/include/ShowPlugins.php?audit=1" call. I click on 'Plugins' on the top navbar.. ~4000ms response again. I tell it to update plugin.. another delay as it checks.

Edited by zoggy

Just now, zoggy said:

im on rc8q, i do not see it skipping any check

Immediately after updating a plugin, the plugins page should load very quickly as it does not check for updates again. If you leave the page and come back, then it will check again.

Just now, ljm42 said:

Immediately after updating a plugin, the plugins page should load very quickly as it does not check for updates again. If you leave the page and come back, then it will check again.

After updating a plugin, when it reloads the page  it behaves the same as if I've never been to the page before. It shows the " Please wait, retrieving and updating plugin information ... " and after a few seconds shows the data.

not sure why berg is doing a cookie to know when/if to update:

https://github.com/limetech/webgui/commit/1128540c8823ce134cea3d9b4f891d3f73187d8a

I would just pass a timestamp of auit request, compare to last and know if its worth updating.. or use any long poll methodology...

then use the an argument to force update if thats needed

Edited by zoggy

3 minutes ago, zoggy said:

After updating a plugin, when it reloads the page  it behaves the same as if I've never been to the page before. It shows the " Please wait, retrieving and updating plugin information ... " and after a few seconds shows the data.

That is normal, your browser still has to retrieve the data from unRAID. This happens via javascript, so it displays that message.  Depending on how many plugins you have and how fast your server is, it could still take some time.  However, it should happen significantly faster because unRAID does not check for updates in this corner case.

meh, the plugin page is faster on 6.3.5 than 6.4.x for me. I was just adding my two cents that I see it do the update check and it just seems inefficient with the new flow (especially when there is multiple things to update).

21 hours ago, ljm42 said:

There *is* a benefit. However, depending on the speed of your network you might not appreciate it.

Let's say a plugin author updates a plugin at 11pm and then your system checks for updates at midnight and sends you a notification that it is out of date.  Then at 1am the plugin is updated again to fix a bug that was just introduced.

In 6.3.5, when you go to the plugins page it would show that a plugin update was available because of the check it did at midnight. However, when you click the update button it will fail because the plugin was updated again after the midnight check.  You have to manually check for updates before you can update the plugin.

To avoid this in 6.3.5, I always hit the Check for Updates button before doing any updates, which is somewhat annoying :)

In 6.4, this issue is eliminated because the plugin status is guaranteed to be correct when the page loads.

I have 12 plugins installed on my 6.4.0-rc8q VM and the delay is noticeable, but not too bothersome.  However, my main system (currently on 6.3.5) has 27 plugins, and I am a little concerned about what the delay will be when I update to 6.4

meh, I don't think that is a very likely scenario honestly.  Yeah, on the (probably much less than) 1% chance that an update is done, then checked for, then updated again, this might help prevent an issue/error, but it seems like coding around that error would/shouldn't be much more difficult than coding to check for an update upon every page load; and would save us all from (almost completely) unnecessary waiting EVERY TIME we go to that page.

We can't/shouldn't try to save everyone from highly unlikely events, which would result in minor annoyances if they aren't avoided; at the expense of every day annoyances. 

i.e. I don't put 6 deadbolts on my door to prevent the one burglar that would take the time to pick 5 locks, at the expense of my having to lock and unlock 6 locks every day

Edited by JustinChase
typos

My objection to the change is that the check for updates takes place whenever I open the Plugins page, despite the fact that I have configured it to check just once per day. Until it's fixed I've switched it off, as Squid suggested.

If anyone seeing this behaviour is also utilizing the auto update module of CA to install plugin updates they can safely disable dynamix checking for updates

Where is the switch to disable Dynamix update checking?

unRAID 6.4rc8

3 minutes ago, tstor said:

Where is the switch to disable Dynamix update checking?

unRAID 6.4rc8

Settings - Notification Settings

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

Settings - Notification Settings

Thank you - I'd been looking for this.  At last the page loads immediately

Thanks from me, too. I did not expect the notification setting to be responsible for that, now I know :-)

unRAID 6.4rc8

FYI.  If you don't want auto updates to happen, you can tell CA Auto Update to not install any updates, but still have it run on say a daily schedule.  Then when you go to the plugins page all the updates available will be there without any lag in loading.

Personally, I have auto updates enabled as I can't be bothered to read each and every release note and figure out for myself if I want to install or not.