Why am I getting slower speeds when moving files on array?

Now that most of downloads are automated and done directly using unraid I have noticed moving files from one share to another I am only getting around 40-50 MB/s

But if I download something on my Windows 10 desktop and move it to a unraid share it flies across at 110 MB/s

I have tubrowrite enabled, ssd cachce enabled on all shares. Iv only noticed as my TV shows dont move automatically so I do it manually at the moment.

Sounds about right, since in the first instance you are reading from one array disk and writing to another, in the second you are reading from your desktop and writing to an array disk. Parity protected writes are complex and involve all disks with turbo write enabled, it makes sense that reading from one of the other array disks would cause a slowdown compared to a pure write.

• Upvote 1
30 minutes ago, gubbgnutten said:

Moving the files locally instead can in many cases be virtually instantaneous.

If  both shares exist on the same disk, then a move is just a rename, and is instant. If the destination share  isn't allowed to exist on the source disk, then the data still has to be copied to the destination disk to move it.