A separate Emby instance

boxtor

How do I create a separate instance of an Emby docker running with a different /config directory and network port?  I tried using Community Applications to add another instance, but it updated the pre-existing instance.  I had the revert the changes in the pre-existing instance in order to connect to it again.

Why would I do this?  It's Emby's recommendation to do this if you have content you don't want everyone to see.

32 minutes ago, boxtor said:

How do I create a separate instance of an Emby docker running with a different /config directory and network port?  I tried using Community Applications to add another instance, but it updated the pre-existing instance.  I had the revert the changes in the pre-existing instance in order to connect to it again.

Why would I do this?  It's Emby's recommendation to do this if you have content you don't want everyone to see.

From CA, within the Installed Apps section, install Emby (but don't edit the existing installation -> reinstall using the default settings).  Then change the name of the container, the applicable ports, and the applicable paths.

Edited by Squid

I think I'm missing something.  While following the instructions, I set the port to an unused port and changed the directories.  I also had to edit the WebUI string since it was still pointed at 8096.  I attached a screen shot of the settings.  The instance always fails at start up since it's still trying to use  {"EnableUPnP":true,"PublicPort":8096,"PublicHttpsPort":8920,"HttpServerPortNumber":8096,"HttpsPortNumber":8920,

And 8096 is already in use.

The only way I've successfully used the new instance is to shutdown the original and leave the port at 8096.  I was able to get to the set up wizard.5998f319bea6a_embysetup.thumb.png.a094643b8b11bd82354fc9a7e85e9c33.png

Ah   I missed that emby is running as network mode host   try switching it to bridge and try again.   If it still doesn't work then you have to find out all the ports emby uses and assign them individually (or upgrade to 6.4 and assign emby a different IP address)

Also, you pretty much never need to change the webui entry regardless of how you assign ports