CrashPlan Home Ending

Smackover

14 minutes ago, Skraut said:

Looking around a bunch, I may do something like Duplicati https://www.duplicati.com/ for the family, provided I can get it running in unRaid, then something like Backblaze B2 to send that to the cloud.  It'd make my system the primary backup point, then dump all that to Backblaze, but maybe we can use the money saved by not buying Crashplan subscriptions to set up a few more unRaid systems amongst each other for more points of backup.

I'm struggling with the best way to do this securely without a ton of setup on the client side... that was what was especially nice with Crashplan - the clients could 'find' one another without a ton of work - just put in the short code.

• With the complete lack of privacy on the internet any more with some of the recent administrative changes with ISPs and such, I'm really uncomfortable sending my entire life up to the cloud from tax documents to photos to videos to comic book database, bank records, etc. I desire to stay computer -> computer. You guys all fine and dandy with sending everything up to some server somewhere? Encrypted or not. Maybe I'm being paranoid and I'm willing to re-evaluate. Or do we just throw our hands up in the air and say there's no privacy any more with facial recognition once you walk outside your house and just not worry any more?

So far I've seen.

Both open source alternatives that seem to support most of the features I would want. I don't have experience with either of the above, but I do have experience with Mono and duplicati is .Net so I would prefer to avoid it unless someone has a compelling reason it's a better choice. Borg looks fairly good, and I would think the plugin system in Unraid would make setup fairly painless even with out a gui. Including a free dynamic dns services in the container/plugin with borg would IMO be a fairly good alternative.

52 minutes ago, Henry Thomas said:
  • With the complete lack of privacy on the internet any more with some of the recent administrative changes with ISPs and such, I'm really uncomfortable sending my entire life up to the cloud from tax documents to photos to videos to comic book database, bank records, etc. I desire to stay computer -> computer. You guys all fine and dandy with sending everything up to some server somewhere? Encrypted or not. Maybe I'm being paranoid and I'm willing to re-evaluate. Or do we just throw our hands up in the air and say there's no privacy any more with facial recognition once you walk outside your house and just not worry any more?

To each his own, but there have been both cloud and home server options discussed. I personally have someone I can swap space with for off-site so I'm looking for non-hosted solutions myself. I would point out that good encryption is still as far as we can tell safe against even the most advanced attacker. Storing pre-encrypted files on a cloud provider isn't necessarily insecure. If you're concerned with nation state style attacks on your encryption, you should consider if your off-site server can really withstand that sort of attack as well because odds are it can't.

1 hour ago, wayner said:

Wouldn't Nextcloud or Owncloud be a good solution for backing up other family members?  You may still need to backup the "mothership" to the cloud, but this could do the computer to unRAID backups for family members, friends, etc.

It could probably work, but I think of those more like dropbox, only keeping the most recent version of each file. I know my parents have restored older versions of files before (similar to Apple Time Machine) which I don't think those systems have (or maybe I just haven't looked at them in a while)

20 hours ago, Homerr said:

If I stay with Crashplan and migrate to the Crashplan for Small Business will the Crashplan plugin still work with unraid?

It'd be nice to not have to re-upload 1.7tb of data and would sway me for $30 for 2018 and $120/yr thereafter and just stay in the Crashplan ecosystem.

Self-quoting above, I got this response on a reddit thread about this:

Yes. I just did this. The application that runs inside of the docker will auto-update to small business.

Hi Guys,

As a 13TB Crashplan user, I am not the happiest of bunnies after this announcement.

I've had a look around at possible alternatives.

My requirements are:

Very large, preferably unlimited storage.

Don't want to break the bank (about £10/Month)

File versioning.

I'm busy trying out a combination of Duplicati (available in community applications) and Jottacloud, and so far it looks promising. I'm testing Jottacloud with the free 5GB account, but if it works I'll be upgrading. 

I must say, I'm not looking forward to uploading 13TB again, last time it took 7 Months!!!

I emailed them asking for a refund as I'd bought a years subscription less than a month and they've refused, claiming that they're honouring all subscriptions. Why would I want to continue with them after for more money and living in fear that they'll do this again? Bunch of cowboys if you ask me.

On 8/22/2017 at 1:07 PM, wayner said:

I use Backblaze for $50/yr unlimited.  But it took months to upload all of my data as they appear to throttle your upload speed.  This is for my older media server which is on Windows - I have all of my content mirrored between my new unRAID server and my older Windows server (so that I have an onsite backup) and then the Windows server backs up over the cloud to Backblaze.  Plus I occasionally backup to an external hard drive.

edit - But Backblaze doesn't support Linux so it wouldn't work directly from unRAID.  Maybe you could do it from a Windows VM running on your unRAID server - but I am not sure since Backblaze only lets you backup local drives if I remember correctly.

That's right.

Backblaze is not an option at all, they prohibit use of network paths in backup

On 8/22/2017 at 4:22 PM, bdillahu said:

I'm struggling with the best way to do this securely without a ton of setup on the client side... that was what was especially nice with Crashplan - the clients could 'find' one another without a ton of work - just put in the short code.

So, here's were I'm at so far.  I set up NextCloud and the family has started to backup to it using Duplicati clients over NextCloud's WebDAV protocol.  I could probably have them SFTP or FTP the backups to me but didn't want to deal with setting up those accounts to my server, and they'll probably use some of the other features of NextCloud now that it is set up.

Now I just need to figure out what to do next. Either use Duplicati on my Unraid box to send all that data to Backblaze B2, or just build another Unraid box, have it hosted at another family member's house, and distribute the offsite several places.

On 8/22/2017 at 0:14 PM, dsmith44 said:

I can only assume they're on the rocks or they'd have given 6 months notice. They'll be banking on 20% moving to a plan that's twice the price and 20% moving to their partner that they'll get a kick back for, clearly in need of a cash injection. On that basis alone I'm off.

If only it were just twice the price.  Instead of $5/mo, it's $10/machine.  Right now I've got 3 machines on Crashplan Family, which was $150/yr basically.  Crashplan SB is $10 per machine, which for me would be $30/mo or $360/year.

Carbonite is even worse.

So now I'm off to search for options.  The "easy" one is to just keep using Crashplan.  Realistically, two of my machines don't need cloud/offsite backup, so I could start backing those up to my unRAID server, and then I'd be down to $120/yr with Crashplan SB, so it would actually be cheaper.  The real question there is:  Will Crashplan SB be as easy to integrate with unRAID as Crashplan Home (docker container).

Some other options I saw in the Crashplan docker thread, some people are using CloudBerry and backing up to Backblaze B2, which seems interesting.  BB B2 seems pretty affordable I think.  Anyone have thoughts on CloudBerry with BackBlaze B2 or Amazon?  The main thing that sits wrong with me there is paying yearly for the software, plus the storage...

FWIW, while I understand the frustration with the change, I think we have to remember that it's just unrealistic to expect companies to never change or end their products/services.  While it's unfortunate that Code42 is ending CP Home, I don't see a reason to get bent out of shape about it, I think overall they've handled it well, giving users advance notice and even extending subscriptions at no extra cost (though for those who have just signed up, I do think they'd have been well served to provide refunds).

I guess I'm glad I posted this (in addition to getting in on the community thoughts/knowledge) it made me think through my situation, and sticking with Crashplan but changing what I backup is seeming like an attractive option for me.  Actually now that I think of it, CloudBerry would end up being more expensive than CP SB too probably....

4 hours ago, stanger89 said:

If only it were just twice the price.  Instead of $5/mo, it's $10/machine.  Right now I've got 3 machines on Crashplan Family, which was $150/yr basically.  Crashplan SB is $10 per machine, which for me would be $30/mo or $360/year.

Carbonite is even worse.

So now I'm off to search for options.  The "easy" one is to just keep using Crashplan.  Realistically, two of my machines don't need cloud/offsite backup, so I could start backing those up to my unRAID server, and then I'd be down to $120/yr with Crashplan SB, so it would actually be cheaper.  The real question there is:  Will Crashplan SB be as easy to integrate with unRAID as Crashplan Home (docker container).

Some other options I saw in the Crashplan docker thread, some people are using CloudBerry and backing up to Backblaze B2, which seems interesting.  BB B2 seems pretty affordable I think.  Anyone have thoughts on CloudBerry with BackBlaze B2 or Amazon?  The main thing that sits wrong with me there is paying yearly for the software, plus the storage...

FWIW, while I understand the frustration with the change, I think we have to remember that it's just unrealistic to expect companies to never change or end their products/services.  While it's unfortunate that Code42 is ending CP Home, I don't see a reason to get bent out of shape about it, I think overall they've handled it well, giving users advance notice and even extending subscriptions at no extra cost (though for those who have just signed up, I do think they'd have been well served to provide refunds).

I guess I'm glad I posted this (in addition to getting in on the community thoughts/knowledge) it made me think through my situation, and sticking with Crashplan but changing what I backup is seeming like an attractive option for me.  Actually now that I think of it, CloudBerry would end up being more expensive than CP SB too probably....

Last I checked, 2TB on BB B2 was $10/mo, so it seems to only be cost effective if you need less than that. Otherwise, just stick with CrashPlan Business for your unRAID box, and backup all other machines to it.

Other than that, I'm still researching. 

19 minutes ago, Smackover said:

Last I checked, 2TB on BB B2 was $10/mo, so it seems to only be cost effective if you need less than that. Otherwise, just stick with CrashPlan Business for your unRAID box, and backup all other machines to it.

Other than that, I'm still researching. 

To add to that, you can use duplicati to backup to B2 instead of CloudBerry

Why don't we start a list of available offline backup companies we find here and list their pricing pros/cons. Even ones that just support Windows. Now that Crashplan is going business only we are sure to see some "new" services pop up in the industry just to get some good money up front and then drop the ball when you really need them. I backup approx 8 or 9 Window computers and several of my unraid folders. Crashplan always has worked great for me, but it is a daunting task to move. I may try that Google G Suite for $10/month. I'll get unlimited cloud storage for $120/year. I paid Crashplan like $429/4 years. And with the Google name and/or backbone behind it, 24/7 support that might be my best option. I have to check and see what kind of interface they have. The user who said they moved to G Suite, can you post some pictures of what the local interface looks like? Does it run as a service, as no one needs to be logged into the computer? I liked Crashplan a lot because it was just there working all the time and I never paid attention to it. I hope that's what G Suite is like.

Mike

• Upvote 2

Well after a night of searching I was unable to find any good options!

I took the migrate free offer to CrashPlan Pro and they extended my service till 8/18 then it 7.30 for all 3 machine a month till 8/19 then it jumps to 30.00 a machine. 

I also switch my Google G Suite Basic (via Domain.Google) to Google G Suite Business it says it has a 1TB limit if under 5 users and I only have 2 users so I will see if they are horning that limit as it been said they are not. 

I have my Synology Backing up via the Google Drive Client while I look for a unraid client. in hopes to leave CrashPlan by 8/18

Migration Link Here (If Anyone Is Looking for it) NOTE: They only move backup set under 5TB. You have to re-upload if you over that.

CLICK TO GET CRASHPLAN FOR SMALL BUSINESS

UPDATE: Following other and testing out Duplicati for Google Drive backup on unRaid - Support Thread

Edited by rguinn
On 8/22/2017 at 1:13 PM, Homerr said:

If I stay with Crashplan and migrate to the Crashplan for Small Business will the Crashplan plugin still work with unraid?

It'd be nice to not have to re-upload 1.7tb of data and would sway me for $30 for 2018 and $120/yr thereafter and just stay in the Crashplan ecosystem.

I was about to post this same question.  Does anyone know if the existing unraid crashplan docker will work if we were to migrate to a crashplan for small business account?  The discount they are offering for the first year is very compelling and would give lots of time to consider alternatives and in my case, not have to re-upload 3.4TB of data somewhere else.

So again, does anyone know if the existing unraid crashplan docker will work with a crashplan for small business account?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, Ned said:

I was about to post this same question.  Does anyone know if the existing unraid crashplan docker will work if we were to migrate to a crashplan for small business account?  The discount they are offering for the first year is very compelling and would give lots of time to consider alternatives and in my case, not have to re-upload 3.4TB of data somewhere else.

So again, does anyone know if the existing unraid crashplan docker will work with a crashplan for small business account?

Thanks!

See the CrashPlan Docker support thread for a discussion on this. The bottom line is that, yes. if you are using the gfjardim CrashPlan docker, after account migration from Home to Pro, the cllent in the docker will automatically upgrade to Pro; however, if you have to reinstall the docker, you will lose the ability to login to your account as the client will again revert back to Home since that is baked into the docker and your Pro credentials will not work in this client .  If you are using the jlesage/djoss CrashPlan docker, as I am, he has implemented a very slick migration path that will not cause any issues with future installs.  He has a new CrashPlan Pro docker that you can migrate to, possibly without having to go through the CrashPlan adoption process, and you can move to this docker from either the gfjardim Crashplan docker or the jlesage/djoss CrashPlan docker.

Edited by Hoopster
20 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

See the CrashPlan Docker support thread for a discussion on this. The bottom line is that, yes. if you are using the gfjardim CrashPlan docker, after account migration from Home to Pro, the cllent in the docker will automatically upgrade to Pro; however, if you have to reinstall the docker, you will lose the ability to login to your account as the client will again revert back to Home since that is baked into the docker and your Pro credentials will not work in this client .  If you are using the jlesage/djoss CrashPlan docker, as I am, he has implemented a very slick migration path that will not cause any issues with future installs.  He has a new CrashPlan Pro docker that you can migrate to, possibly without having to go through the CrashPlan adoption process, and you can move to this docker from either the gfjardim Crashplan docker or the jlesage/djoss CrashPlan docker.

Thanks for the info!  Yes, I am using the gfjardim docker... so I will look through the link you provided.  Appreciate the help!