CrashPlan Home Ending

Smackover

1 hour ago, Ned said:

Thanks for the info!  Yes, I am using the gfjardim docker... so I will look through the link you provided.  Appreciate the help!

Thought I'd post an update for those in a similar situation...

Just migrated my account to Crashplan for small business, installed the new crashplan pro docker and did the adoption process since I was using the gfjardim docker previously.  Adoption was virtually instant, it recognized all of my files and folders that I was backing up previously.  Left the new docker 100% full default settings.  It also creates it's own appdata folder so just needed to shut down the old docker and can go delete the files/folder from it later on.

It is now synchronizing block information, been running for 20 minutes and already 10% complete on a total backup size of 3.4TB so in roughly 3 hours it looks like it should be back to normal!

For a 75% discount for 12 months plus retain the existing subscription term and can cancel at any time, I think this move was a no-brainer - at the very least I will have until early 2019 to decide if I want to continue and pay the $10/month or go somewhere else...

11 hours ago, Ned said:

Thought I'd post an update for those in a similar situation...

Just migrated my account to Crashplan for small business, installed the new crashplan pro docker and did the adoption process since I was using the gfjardim docker previously.  Adoption was virtually instant, it recognized all of my files and folders that I was backing up previously.  Left the new docker 100% full default settings.  It also creates it's own appdata folder so just needed to shut down the old docker and can go delete the files/folder from it later on.

It is now synchronizing block information, been running for 20 minutes and already 10% complete on a total backup size of 3.4TB so in roughly 3 hours it looks like it should be back to normal!

For a 75% discount for 12 months plus retain the existing subscription term and can cancel at any time, I think this move was a no-brainer - at the very least I will have until early 2019 to decide if I want to continue and pay the $10/month or go somewhere else...

I can also Verify that I did the same. installed the Pro Docker and adopted my unraid backup and was good. However, my unraid backup was under the 5 TB migration limit. My Synology box was not the same and is having to backup the files again as it was over 5TB  

I am probably going to upgrade to Crashplan business to fix my unraid backup needs seems like $10 a month is pretty standard in that space, however I am putting money down on Crashplan raising the price in 1-2 years time.

I wondered what is everyone doing for an alternative to the computer to computer backup problem that crashplan home provided?

I currently have a few pcs in my house backing up and my family pcs backing up to my server via crashplan and i do not know what to substitute it with. Currently looking into nextcloud but that's more of a dropbox access anywhere solution where I want a client side encrypted pure backup solution. Any suggestions?

Edited by Tango
6 hours ago, Tango said:

I am probably going to upgrade to Crashplan business to fix my unraid backup needs seems like $10 a month is pretty standard in that space, however I am putting money down on Crashplan raising the price in 1-2 years time.

I wondered what is everyone doing for an alternative to the computer to computer backup problem that crashplan home provided?

I currently have a few pcs in my house backing up and my family pcs backing up to my server via crashplan and i do not know what to substitute it with. Currently looking into nextcloud but that's more of a dropbox access anywhere solution where I want a client side encrypted pure backup solution. Any suggestions?

Personally I back up all of the computers in the house to unraid and then that is backed up to the crashplan cloud.  That solves the problem and you only need to pay for one crashplan device license if you do it that way.. so I never personally used crashplan home's computer to computer backup feature.  Also consider that if you back up your PCs to unraid, is it even necessary to then back up those backups to the cloud?  After all, they are backups already and the original files are on the PCs which are still running...  with that in mind I actually exclude pushing those PC backups sitting on unraid to the crashplan cloud and only backup the content on the unraid box that does not live anywhere else...  I know everyone will have their own unique situations but that strategy works for me.

12 hours ago, Ned said:

Personally I back up all of the computers in the house to unraid and then that is backed up to the crashplan cloud.  That solves the problem and you only need to pay for one crashplan device license if you do it that way.. so I never personally used crashplan home's computer to computer backup feature.  Also consider that if you back up your PCs to unraid, is it even necessary to then back up those backups to the cloud?  After all, they are backups already and the original files are on the PCs which are still running...  with that in mind I actually exclude pushing those PC backups sitting on unraid to the crashplan cloud and only backup the content on the unraid box that does not live anywhere else...  I know everyone will have their own unique situations but that strategy works for me.

I'm using nextcloud to offsite my data.  I use a drive on the unraid server to store backups. Nextcloud then shuttles off the backup files to a secure offsite computer. As an added safeguard, the backup files at the offsite location are then backed up so that offline copies are available. (Ransomware) The backup files are in shares that are otherwise not accessible to the user. Only the backup software.  So hopefully if I get hit with a ransomware or similar virus, it won't be able to touch the backups. 

By using nextcloud, I know where the data is, and there are virtually no size limitations.  I also use nextcloud for other general usage.

On 8/26/2017 at 9:09 PM, Ned said:

I Strongly belive in the 3-2-1 Rule 

In other words, the 3-2-1 backup rule means you should: Have at least three copies of your data. Store the copies on two different media. Keep one backupcopy offsite

1 minute ago, rguinn said:

I Strongly belive in the 3-2-1 Rule 

In other words, the 3-2-1 backup rule means you should: Have at least three copies of your data. Store the copies on two different media. Keep one backupcopy offsite

Makes sense but it depends on how important the data is that you are backing up as well, vs the cost of backing up.  Backing up PCs that don't store any user data locally as an example is not worth keeping three copies - if your PC failed and you lost your backup you can still re-install the OS and any other applications.  And user data is often also stored in the cloud on Dropbox or something like that as well.  But overall it's a good rule of thumb.

What am I missing, how come no one is talking about Amazon Drive as an option? It's Unlimited storage for $60 a year. Did i miss something? i had planned to use duplicati to encrypt my files and upload to ACD. What horror stories have i missed that no one seems to consider it an option?

2 hours ago, Kewjoe said:

What am I missing, how come no one is talking about Amazon Drive as an option? It's Unlimited storage for $60 a year. Did i miss something? i had planned to use duplicati to encrypt my files and upload to ACD. What horror stories have i missed that no one seems to consider it an option?

You are missing that Amazon no longer offers the unlimited plan. $60/year is just for 1TB, not unlimited storage. They do say unlimited photos and videos but that is not drive space and you have to upload using their photo apps

6 hours ago, yippy3000 said:

You are missing that Amazon no longer offers the unlimited plan. $60/year is just for 1TB, not unlimited storage. They do say unlimited photos and videos but that is not drive space and you have to upload using their photo apps

Do you have a link about the change? I just logged in and it still says unlimited Photos, Videos and Files. I see nothing about 1TB. This is Amazon Canada, not sure if that matters.

Edit: Never mind, i see the articles. Weird that it still shows unlimited for me. That's a pity.

Edited by Kewjoe
19 minutes ago, Kewjoe said:

Do you have a link about the change? I just logged in and it still says unlimited Photos, Videos and Files. I see nothing about 1TB. This is Amazon Canada, not sure if that matters.

Edit: Never mind, i see the articles. Weird that it still shows unlimited for me. That's a pity.

Yes, on the US site there is no longer unlimited for files. This is what I see when I go to sign up in the US

https://www.amazon.com/b/?node=15547130011&ref=sxts_snpl_3_0_3072085762&qid=1504096906&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=3072085762&pf_rd_r=E8D7044CWATC92CGE7FN&pd_rd_wg=mHHKa&pf_rd_s=desktop-signpost&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_w=uYEhX&pf_rd_i=Amazon+drive&pd_rd_r=086JYQBK63YQ5BBE0DV1

IMG_3623.PNG

5 hours ago, Kewjoe said:

News Link (For Anyone Else)

https://www.theverge.com/2017/6/8/15761306/amazon-data-storage-unlimited-cloud-over

Edited by rguinn
2 hours ago, Loch said:

For those interested in the peer-to-peer backup ability of Crashplan, this seems interesting: http://blog.quindorian.org/2017/08/diy-cloud-backup-replacing-crashplan-home-family-diy-style.html/   Uses Duplicati as a client and Minio as an S3 server. It looks like there is a Minio docker for unRaid here: https://hub.docker.com/r/topdockercat/minio-unraid/

That looks interesting, couple of bad points as far as I can see. You need to run multiple instances of Minio to keep computers data separate (management nightmare, ports etc). Also Duplicati is a web browser front end, looks good but might be a bit jarring to family members who are used to native os applications. Closest thing I've seen so far however.

3 hours ago, Loch said:

For those interested in the peer-to-peer backup ability of Crashplan, this seems interesting: http://blog.quindorian.org/2017/08/diy-cloud-backup-replacing-crashplan-home-family-diy-style.html/   Uses Duplicati as a client and Minio as an S3 server. It looks like there is a Minio docker for unRaid here: https://hub.docker.com/r/topdockercat/minio-unraid/

what would be the advantage of using this server instead of having Duplicati just use Unraid over FTP/sFTP ?

6 hours ago, isvein said:

what would be the advantage of using this server instead of having Duplicati just use Unraid over FTP/sFTP ?

I am not sure. I sounds about the same whether you have different directories for different backup versus different "buckets". It sounds like Minio will encrypt everything and the remote users control the keys, but I don't know if Duplicati does that as well. My ideal would be for only me to be able to see and access my data however it's done. I do agree that it sounds like you may need a Minio server for each person that wants to back-up data, versus running one sFTP server. So I guess both would have to have ports open to the world.

Edited by Loch
23 hours ago, Loch said:

I tested this out, and it does indeed work.  Got it working in about 10 minutes.

@Tango mentioned that you would need a different Minio instance for each user, but that may not me the case. In my instance, I remote into each of my family member's computers to set up and manage their backup to CrashPlan now. This would not change. So, I would still need to enter the Minio access key on each computer.  Each user would have their own bucket, and their uploads would be encrypted on their respective computers by Duplicati (with a passphrase).  So, neither me, nor the other users would be able to access the other user's data, even if they were to see the other user's bucket on the server.

If you were just handing out a Minio access key to a friend, then yes, you wouldnt really want it to be the same one others are using.

That being said, it only takes a few minutes, and very little server resources, to roll out multiple Minio dockers, each with its own port number and access key.

wvWI64N.png

Edited by StevenD