6.3.5 CRASHPLAN HOME CANCELED, POTENTIAL REPLACEMENT?

the Home backup solution which is how I backed up 5 clients plus two drobos plus my unraids.  but this is no more.  At the end of my annual contract I'm toast.

They have arrangements to sign up for their business product or carbonite at an initial discount.  We will see.

The other set up and forget it is EMC Retrospect, which I beta tested a long time ago on Macintosh and they have Linux support, what I need is one of you geniuses to tell me what flavor of linux would be best or to just setup the server:  

http://www.retrospect.com/en/support/kb/which_versions_of_linux_and_unix_does_the_client_support

This software will set me back some bucks, it will cost me 1 or 2 8TB drives depending on what I get...

Perhaps this would be a good thread to cover your backup strategy...

@TinkerToyTech

Edited by TinkerToyTech
fixed hotlink

A couple options I found:

Crashplan Business is $10 per device/month with unlimited online storage, no local backups.

Duplicati: software is open source, supports many cloud based storage solutions, supports local backups

Cloudberry: software is ~$30 with a 5TB backup size limit.  $150 for unlimited size.  Supports many cloud based storage and local backups.

My opinions and how I picked my solution:

Crashplan is in the business of selling backup solutions.  They feel that their solution is improving and they can charge more for it.  So they increase their price/reduce service.  For me I need to trust that the backup solution will continue to exist and not be phased out.  The backup solution market is pretty small, and not very competitive.  Just try finding a good linux backup product.

Duplicati: software is free, you buy storage.  Cloud based storage is a commodity and will just decrease in cost over time.  There is no incentive for cloud based storage providers to increase cost, it is a pretty competitive market.

Cloudberry: sells you the software for a one time cost, reasonably priced, storage is the same as Duplicati.

cloud storage:

Today I see that Amazon Glacier is the "cheapest" at $4/TB/month but retrieval is expensive and I don't know how you verify your backups without paying for downloads, etc.  Backblaze is 20% more at $5/TB/month, but it has normal access, so verifying a backup is easy.  There is a download cost as well, you get 1GB/day free, not sure how backup verification works, but I would imagine you don't need to download the entire thing.

I was concerned that using Glacier I may end up with corrupted backupfiles that when I needed them, they wouldn't work.  All software has issues, and you could easily run into this issue.  So I went with Duplicati/Backblaze B2.

I may go with Cloudberry/local unmapped disk for local backups.  As I want both cloud and local, I figure that may increase my chances of having a valid backup, but at the same times increases my chances of issues as I'm using two solutions. . . .

Other considerations:

I backup unRaid, 4 laptops, and two desktops for a total of 2TB.  Staying with Crashplan would cost me $80/month for 8 devices and 2TB of data.  Duplicati is free for each machine, and 2TB of data is $10 per month, much cheaper than Crashplan, and provides local backups.

hopefully this helps someone,

david