[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business)

7 hours ago, Djoss said:

You can look at the file at /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO/conf/jvm_args.  It should have something like "-Xmx6144m".  This same value should also be seen in /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO/log/engine_output.log.

The figures in both areas are showing as correct. Is there anything else I can look at to try to resolve this?

On 6/9/2021 at 9:58 PM, Djoss said:

Is the issue you have about a "Local destination" ?

I get very slow write speeds to  a local disk (call it disk A), it typically writes at 1GB/hr (similar to the upload speed I get to Crashplan Central). I have another disk that is used for the same backup sets as disk A (call it disk B). Data  is written to both disk and they are alternated and stored offsite when not in use. Disk A takes about 2 days to sync when I add and mount it in Unraid, disk B takes about 12-15 hours to do the same operation. I'm not sure of the write speeds of disk B, but it is substantially quicker that disk A. Both disk are 4TB, disk B is newer though, having recently replaced a faulty (clicking) drive that was the same model and batch as Disk A. The data stored on disk B is only about 10% less that the data stored on disk A. Disk A is not showing any errors on SMARTs, but I understand that the tests are not always reliable.

On 6/3/2021 at 9:29 AM, jademonkee said:

My account hasn't backed up for 15 days now because it is constantly "Synchronizing File Information."

Just popping in to say that 30 days later I FINALLY have backups completed again.

Thanks again, everyone, for your help.

Edited by jademonkee

Hi

I keep getting emails saying my Crashplan hasn't backed up for xx days.  Checking via the docker gui it clearly is.
There's an update, but this will not install.  I assume it's due to this newer version not being installed (is this correct?).

Any fix for this?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.9599d77ae76c096ae6aeea8e23f038ea.png

On 6/23/2021 at 1:18 PM, Flemming said:

Anyone know what this message is?

image.thumb.png.827c978a07556dfbc7738a26a3533373.png

See this post:

TL;DR increase the limit using the tips n tweaks plugin. There's no magic number, so don't ask for one. The bigger it is, the more RAM you'll need. However, I have mine set to 2097152 (16 GB RAM, no VMs) and it works well for the number of files I"m backing up (and also Plex).

Learn more about inotify here: https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/inotify.7.html

5 hours ago, grantt said:

Hi

I keep getting emails saying my Crashplan hasn't backed up for xx days.  Checking via the docker gui it clearly is.
There's an update, but this will not install.  I assume it's due to this newer version not being installed (is this correct?).

Any fix for this?

Thanks

image.thumb.png.9599d77ae76c096ae6aeea8e23f038ea.png

Try restarting the Docker. I believe that should have it upgrade to the latest version (I may be confusing it with another Docker though).

If it doesn't upgrade, try a 'force upgrade' in advanced settings (the toggle switch at the top of the Docker page).

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/18/2021 at 4:49 AM, jademonkee said:

Just popping in to say that 30 days later I FINALLY have backups completed again.

hey @jademonkee did you have to DO anything?  I feel like i'm having a real similar issue.  I had some system problems around the beginning of the month and now that i'm stable again, I keep seeing "Synchronizing block information" but it climbs to 100% then just starts over.  It looks like i changed the memory in the RIGHT place 😉 a few days ago to 3072 from 2048 which had been working fine. 

or did you just let it sit and after a LONG time it finally got itself all synced up and is working correctly?

55 minutes ago, allroy1975 said:

hey @jademonkee did you have to DO anything?  I feel like i'm having a real similar issue.  I had some system problems around the beginning of the month and now that i'm stable again, I keep seeing "Synchronizing block information" but it climbs to 100% then just starts over.  It looks like i changed the memory in the RIGHT place 😉 a few days ago to 3072 from 2048 which had been working fine. 

or did you just let it sit and after a LONG time it finally got itself all synced up and is working correctly?

If you've confirmed that your max memory variable is set correctly (see earlier in the thread for the command in CrashPlan that allows you to check), then that's all I had to do to solve my problems. FWIW I'm using 4096 MB memory and backing up 3.6 TB. Most of the time the Docker only uses around 1 GB, but it may have climbed during sync and I missed it (which may be why mine was resetting), so if you can spare the memory, might as well set it high.

If you've set the memory correctly, try reaching out to Crashplan support, too - the can take a look at the logs and see if your block sync is failing for another reason.

How do I turn off backup but let Crashplan still run to complete the local maintenance?

Otherwise it does maintenance for  a little bit and then backs up for a little bit and then does synchronization for 9 hrs in a loop. This has been going on for 25 days.

Thanks again for the docker!

Edited by Jagadguru
typo
12 hours ago, Jagadguru said:

How do I turn off backup but let Crashplan still run to complete the local maintenance?

Otherwise it does maintenance for  a little bit and then backs up for a little bit and then does synchronization for 9 hrs in a loop. This has been going on for 25 days.

Thanks again for the docker!

Maybe try to set the backup schedule to limit when CrashPlan is allowed to backup files?

• 3 weeks later...

Crashplan help necessary.  I just got the Crashplan Pro 30 day trial and installed the docker.  Able to access the docker fine (most of the time) and the scan revealed about 1.6 TB of data to back up (this is accurate).  Backup starts but then stops randomly and without warning or notification.  When I log on to crashplan (via my account on Chrome), it shows my Unraid Server as "offline".  I restart the docker, server then shows up as online and begins transferring data again.  After some random period of time (generally less than an hour), it'll show up as "Offline" again.  When this happens, I often cannot log into the Docker GUI either. 

What causes the server to keep going offline sporadically?  I didnt change any docker settings form the defaults.  I just added the maximum memory to be 4GB's (something I didnt do before).  Could this be the issue?  It's going to take forever to upload my 1.6TB at this rate.    I noticed in my logs that I keep getting things like this -- have no idea why it keeps randomly "disconnecting" from backup destination:

08/12/21 10:55PM [Unraid Server Backup Set] Starting backup to CrashPlan PRO Online: 464,907 files (1.70TB) to back up
08/13/21 12:22AM [Unraid Server Backup Set] Stopped backup to CrashPlan PRO Online in 1h:26m:31s: 2 files (19.60GB) backed up, 3.60GB encrypted and sent @ 4.7Mbps (Effective rate: 13Mbps)
08/13/21 12:22AM  - Reason for stopping backup: The backup destination was disconnected

08/13/21 12:43AM [Unraid Server Backup Set] Stopped backup to CrashPlan PRO Online in 0h:20m:28s: 1 file (20.20GB) backed up, 303.90MB encrypted and sent @ 9.4Mbps (Effective rate: 13.8Mbps)
08/13/21 12:43AM  - Reason for stopping backup: The backup destination was disconnected

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Hawkins12
additional info
54 minutes ago, Djoss said:

This seems strange to me.  What the browser is showing exactly when this occurs ?

So I left it running all night while I slept.  Looks like some progress was made but at these rates, it'll take a month to upload 1.6TB.  Here is a history of the last 8.5 hrs.  You can see I had a pretty good clip there (222 mbps) but outside of that, it has been a slow go.  image.thumb.png.44ecf8ea422e30af927efb4ccc936d78.png

Also, below are my settings -- it seems I am allocating enough RAM to it for the size/storage space I am trying to back upimage.png.20661ab8852efc93aa6403d38dfab63a.png

Edited by Hawkins12
update
3 hours ago, Djoss said:

This seems strange to me.  What the browser is showing exactly when this occurs ?

On top of my post above, I seem to have a lot of trouble with the docker and connecting to the GUI.  My chrome is updated and when I go to the GUI port, I get this:image.png.6baf1166657bc3301c84f1a4a0a56c5c.png

The GUI does open in Edge but that is not my preferred browser (if I can help it).   The other oddity I noticed is that when I log on to Crashplan from the GUI, I see this: image.png.94d532721f3b1bfaec2511c72662ac54.png  However, when I log onto my crash plan account via a web browser, it shows me this: image.png.2a697c94472b0eedb0672e4130b0933a.png which indicates a lot more stored data  vs. what the gui shows.  Are these issues unique to me?  

On 8/13/2021 at 12:51 PM, Hawkins12 said:

On top of my post above, I seem to have a lot of trouble with the docker and connecting to the GUI.  My chrome is updated and when I go to the GUI port, I get this:image.png.6baf1166657bc3301c84f1a4a0a56c5c.png

Try to clear your browser's cache.

On 8/13/2021 at 12:51 PM, Hawkins12 said:

The other oddity I noticed is that when I log on to Crashplan from the GUI, I see this: image.png.94d532721f3b1bfaec2511c72662ac54.png  However, when I log onto my crash plan account via a web browser, it shows me this: image.png.2a697c94472b0eedb0672e4130b0933a.png which indicates a lot more stored data  vs. what the gui shows.  Are these issues unique to me?  

May the "completed" number is since the backup started?  I.e. if you restart CrashPlan, will it still show 40GB completed, or it will restart from 0 ?

2 hours ago, Djoss said:

BTW, CrashPlan backup speed is known to be slow.  So expect multiple days/weeks to upload 1.7TB.

Thanks for help.  I deleted the big backup set and broke it into 3 or 4 different backup sets (based on type of data).  Seems to be workign fine but as you said, VERY SLOW.

Has the container been updated to the latest version? I've checked for updates and it says the docker is up to date but I'm still getting errors updating, and I've been getting emails saying that I haven't backed up in awhile, even though it does seem I am plugging away at my initial backup (of several terabytes) still. Thanks!

On 6/18/2021 at 10:49 AM, jademonkee said:

Well, not anymore. I'm having the same problem of 'synchronizing file information' endlessly looping.

I'm about ready to chuck in the towel with crashplan and just install another Unraid box at a friend's house and run an rsync once a week.