[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business)

On 1/29/2022 at 3:24 AM, Trylo said:

but CrashPlan is finding 1TB of data to upload each day.

I have 13TB to backup.  Same issue.  Backups are running every day and when CrashPlan says it is "complete" the next day several of the backup sets have anywhere from a few GB to 4TB left to do again.

I guess it is time to ditch CrashPlan but nothing else is cost effective for that amount of data to backup.

35 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I have 13TB to backup.  Same issue.  Backups are running every day and when CrashPlan says it is "complete" the next day several of the backup sets have anywhere from a few GB to 4TB left to do again.

I guess it is time to ditch CrashPlan but nothing else is cost effective for that amount of data to backup.

Hi Guys,

I don't know if any of this might help, but I was recently troubleshooting why CrashPlan seemed to be running almost constantly on my server and these steps seems to have solved most of my troubles.

1. Hidden files.

For me, I discovered that a number of hidden files looked as if they were being backed up (some of these hidden files were quite large and were changing regularly).

To find them: in the CrashPlan UI: "Manage Files" -> "..." -> "Show Hidden Files" (this will be greyed out, but still clickable).

De-select all files except for those you want to back up. Watch the timestamps to find files that might be driving constant backups.

2. excessive file verification scans.

https://support.code42.com/Incydr/Agent/Backup/File_verification_scan

This scan appears to run daily by default, which was way too often for how long my backup set took (10+ hours). I changed mine to 14 days, and I'm guessing could go even further out. I couldn't find this setting in the UI - i had to log into my web account to change it:

https://support.code42.com/CP/Admin/On-premises/6/Code42_console_reference/Device_Backup_-_Backup_settings_reference#General

After the above updates to my config, and after a complete verification scan (this seems to happen after every reboot... exasperating given how long it takes...), CrashPlan is now idling nicely.

Hopefully some of this helps somebody. If this is all old news, apologies.

Good luck all!

Regards,

RabidYak

PS: i had trouble finding useful logs, but the most useful files i found were in: /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO/log and the log i monitored the most when i was stepping through this was backup_files.log.0

i didn't find all the data i was looking for in the log files, but this was the one i used the most in my troubleshooting.

• Like 1

Hi everyone,

I've lost a significant amount of files during the weekend and when I try to restore them now I can see a "Preparing files" message in the Crashplan GUI but nothing gets restored.

I've tried setting the permissions on the /storage mount point to rw but the issue remains.

This is what I can see in my logs:

restore_files.log.0 shows me this:

I 02/14/22 08:33AM 42 Restore from CrashPlan Central stopped: 0 files restored  @ 0Mbps
I 02/14/22 08:33AM 42 Restore from CrashPlan Central completed: 0 files restored  @ 0Mbps
W 02/14/22 08:33AM 42 1 file had a problem
W 02/14/22 08:33AM 42  - Timed out waiting for restore tool to be started by UI for /data/documenten/Facturen/Proximus/2018/2018-12-09.pdf

I've also tried restoring to other folders such as /data and a newly created /restore of which the permissions were set to rw but none of the settings seem to work.

So, I think there could be a different issue.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them because I really want these files back.

Thank you.

Edited by dialmformumbojumbo
On 1/29/2022 at 5:24 AM, Trylo said:

I've been having a problem recently: my set didn't change at all, but CrashPlan is finding 1TB of data to upload each day.

Support said, that they don't help with container environments and suggest that for my size (17TB) maybe I should look into other solutions. I guess I can make a VM just for CrashPlan, but I'd rather keep it in the docker. Anyone know how to troubleshoot this?

You may look at /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO/log/backup_files.log.0 to see which files are backup.

Also, check @RabidYak answer: maybe the daily verification scan always interrupts the backup of your data.

On 2/14/2022 at 4:44 AM, dialmformumbojumbo said:

Hi everyone,

I've lost a significant amount of files during the weekend and when I try to restore them now I can see a "Preparing files" message in the Crashplan GUI but nothing gets restored.

I've tried setting the permissions on the /storage mount point to rw but the issue remains.

This is what I can see in my logs:

restore_files.log.0 shows me this:

I 02/14/22 08:33AM 42 Restore from CrashPlan Central stopped: 0 files restored  @ 0Mbps
I 02/14/22 08:33AM 42 Restore from CrashPlan Central completed: 0 files restored  @ 0Mbps
W 02/14/22 08:33AM 42 1 file had a problem
W 02/14/22 08:33AM 42  - Timed out waiting for restore tool to be started by UI for /data/documenten/Facturen/Proximus/2018/2018-12-09.pdf

I've also tried restoring to other folders such as /data and a newly created /restore of which the permissions were set to rw but none of the settings seem to work.

So, I think there could be a different issue.

If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them because I really want these files back.

Thank you.

Fix is coming today for this.

Note that if you have any urgent files to restore, you can also do it from the console at crashplan.com.

1 hour ago, dialmformumbojumbo said:

Awesome! Thanks Djoss!

I tried going through the web portal but couldn't find any restore functionality.

Must've overlooked it then.

I'll have another look after work.

It's under "Devices".  The last row has a restore button.

And a new Docker image is now available.

3 hours ago, Djoss said:

It's under "Devices".  The last row has a restore button.

And a new Docker image is now available.

Right! I had found that restore button in the meantime.

However, through the web, one can only restore up tot 250mb or something.

What I was also able to do was install a Crashplan client on a different machine and restore from there.

I'm going to upgrade my docker and give that another go.

Again, thanks a lot for the quick fix!!

My Crashplan has stopped working, tried update, but is is still trying to and failing to update in the app.

image.png.95090b3b7c3a4d3142c68be59ae6361f.png

image.thumb.png.d158e3ee99b894b6158b5b609bae6e3d.png

EDIT: I Think I fixed it by these two steps:

- Increesed "inotify"
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/59647-support-djoss-crashplan-pro-aka-crashplan-for-small-business/page/11/?tab=comments#comment-614099
- Increesed "docker image"
https://forums.unraid.net/topic/40376-no-space-left-on-device-error/

Edited by Flemming
  • 1 month later...

Hi All, having a bit of trouble with this container...it looks like just about hourly the crashplan instance in the container tries to update itself, and creates a temp file to do so, but then the update fails.  That's fine by me, since it's still working, but it leaves the temp update files behind, so after half a day I end up with gigs upon gigs of files like "c42.12976608722313913967.dl" in the /conf/tmp folder of the crashplan container. Is there any way to prevent this from happening, other than setting up a Cron job to delete the contents of the folder?  Thanks in advance for your help!

• 1 month later...
16 hours ago, Gnomuz said:

Hi there,
It seems there's been a new version of Crash Plan for 3 days or so, and it's repeatedly trying to update, ofc without success.
Thanks in advance for an updated image !

Yes, an update will be available soon!

• Like 1

Hi Guys,

Don't suppose any of you have come across this issue?

I've started to shut my server down in the evening when i'm not using it (power costs are getting out of hand) and Crashplan starts "Syncronising Block Information" every morning. The backups don't run while this is in progres. When it eventually finishes, it just about time to shut the server down again.

Do you know if there is any way to change this behavior? Maybe a way to cleanly shut down CP before shutting down the server, or some configuration option that I'm missing?

These maintenance processes are scheduled and they need to complete. If they don't it will keep trying over and over again. This will block routine backups as well. In general, CP is intended to run 24x7.

How big is your server? Does it draw that much power? Daily shutdowns can cause more stress on hardware than leaving it on. I would measure your current draw and do the math. It may not be worth shutting it down every night. unRAID was designed to be low power (spinning down disks in particular). The work by CP should have a minuscule impact on resources.

I'm having a similar issue with "Syncronising Block Information". I am backing up 11.9TB

It seems to take a while to complete, but after it completes it seems to restart doing the "Syncronising Block Information" thing again. This started on May 15th and I've been getting warnings that my server is not being backed up since.

Any idea how to fix this?

On 5/21/2022 at 12:20 PM, jfeeser said:

Hi Djoss, I'm running the latest version of the container and I'm still running into this issue.  Any idea what could be going on?

It still tries to update?  What CP version the UI is showing ?

On 5/22/2022 at 10:18 AM, cromwell said:

I'm having a similar issue with "Syncronising Block Information". I am backing up 11.9TB

It seems to take a while to complete, but after it completes it seems to restart doing the "Syncronising Block Information" thing again. This started on May 15th and I've been getting warnings that my server is not being backed up since.

Does it truly get to 100%? My schedule was interfering with the progress of the maintenance and had to let it run 24x7 to complete.

On 5/22/2022 at 11:18 AM, cromwell said:

On this date there was a new image version.  An update cause block information to be re-synchronized.  At almost 12TB of data, this will take a while for sure.  Does it look like the process is restarting from the beginning ?

On 5/24/2022 at 2:51 PM, Djoss said:

On this date there was a new image version.  An update cause block information to be re-synchronized.  At almost 12TB of data, this will take a while for sure.  Does it look like the process is restarting from the beginning ?

Yes, however yesterday it did something different. It managed to finish the block sync and started backing up files again (yay!). but after maybe 60 minutes it started doing a block sync again and has been doing it since