[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business)

2 hours ago, ScoHo said:

They were. But now I just went in to verify and there are no folders under /mnt anymore.

Incidentally, somehow my CrashPlan Pro Docker got enabled (I swear I disabled it) and the backup ran this morning and appears to have started the upload as if from scratch. It's already more than half done so I guess it's no big deal at this point. Thought it would take a lot longer to upload about 1 TB of data.

But is there anyway for me to go back to to original data set?

I don’t think it is uploading anything. The status can be confusing.  Did you verified (on your router for example) if your upload bandwidth is really used?

I'm in need of some help to make sure I don't screw things up moving to your Crashplan Pro app.  I'm a complete noob with linux so I struggle to understand some of the basics of this discussion, my confidence is feeling pretty low at the moment.  I'm decently competent at Windows stuff, but I learned just enough about unRAID to get it working a couple of years ago, the official setup video was 90% of it.  Normally I'd cowboy it ahead - but with this I just want to back up my data, not really learn a bunch of linux just so I can install this app.  And I'd like to avoid reuploading 3.2tb of backup, if possible.

Here's where I'm at currently:

Have been using Crashplan Home and gfjardim app.

Upgraded to Crashplan Pro around October.

Had a couple of drives fail, been getting back in to relearning how I set unRAID up  :/, have that resolved.

Recently I restarted the rashplan/noVNC thing and now I get a black webUI box instead of Crashplan Pro as before.

I've not done anything or attempted any install of this app.

1.  Have I borked something by restarting the gfjardim app?

2.  My head has exploded just trying to understand the Djoss/jlesage GitHub 'Quick Start' guide.  Does the screenshot of the gfjardim app help out?  Can you walk me through tailoring this command for my setup?

5a8a70bd4ed73_crashplandocker.thumb.JPG.e364699b4b42f77098e2d352ff1fe74a.JPG

3.  I'm looking at the Github doc about 'Taking Over Existing Backup', has anyone done a video of this sequence?

4.  Am I not enough of a linux user to use this?  Should I consider starting my backup over with something else like Cloudberry + Backblaze B2 which I've read a couple of users referring to?  Another can of worms, but if it is more 'user friendly' I would strongly consider it.  It costs a little more, but not the end of the world.

I'm humbled by the level of discussion and thank you for any input.

Edited by Homerr
spelling
6 hours ago, Homerr said:

I'm in need of some help to make sure I don't screw things up moving to your Crashplan Pro app.  I'm a complete noob with linux so I struggle to understand some of the basics of this discussion, my confidence is feeling pretty low at the moment.  I'm decently competent at Windows stuff, but I learned just enough about unRAID to get it working a couple of years ago, the official setup video was 90% of it.  Normally I'd cowboy it ahead - but with this I just want to back up my data, not really learn a bunch of linux just so I can install this app.  And I'd like to avoid reuploading 3.2tb of backup, if possible.

Here's where I'm at currently:

Have been using Crashplan Home and gfjardim app.

Upgraded to Crashplan Pro around October.

Had a couple of drives fail, been getting back in to relearning how I set unRAID up  :/, have that resolved.

Recently I restarted the rashplan/noVNC thing and now I get a black webUI box instead of Crashplan Pro as before.

I've not done anything or attempted any install of this app.

1.  Have I borked something by restarting the gfjardim app?

2.  My head has exploded just trying to understand the Djoss/jlesage GitHub 'Quick Start' guide.  Does the screenshot of the gfjardim app help out?  Can you walk me through tailoring this command for my setup?

5a8a70bd4ed73_crashplandocker.thumb.JPG.e364699b4b42f77098e2d352ff1fe74a.JPG

3.  I'm looking at the Github doc about 'Taking Over Existing Backup', has anyone done a video of this sequence?

4.  Am I not enough of a linux user to use this?  Should I consider starting my backup over with something else like Cloudberry + Backblaze B2 which I've read a couple of users referring to?  Another can of worms, but if it is more 'user friendly' I would strongly consider it.  It costs a little more, but not the end of the world.

I'm humbled by the level of discussion and thank you for any input.

I would install this container using the Community Applications plugin.  For container settings, you can keep the defaults.  Then, follow the 'Taking Over Existing Backup' steps.

The thing to remember is that inside the container, paths to your files are different between your old and new installation.  In the old installation, they were under /mnt/user.  In the new installation, they are under /storage.  For this reason, you need to re-select your folders/files under the correct location (/storage).  Also, don't forget that the paths to your old installation are still shown, so don't be confused by that.

I don't think that you need to be a Linux user to be able to use it.  The most difficult part is not the container installation...  After that, the CrashPlan UI is the same for all users (Linux, Windows,  Mac).  Also, I don't think CloudBerry backup is not more user friendly or easier to use.

On 2/17/2018 at 3:50 PM, Djoss said:

I don’t think it is uploading anything. The status can be confusing.  Did you verified (on your router for example) if your upload bandwidth is really used?

Oddly enough when I look at my upload bandwidth used, it says 33 GB in the last 2 days, which isn't nearly as much as the nearly 1 TB I have backed up, but certainly seems like more than the normal amount I would expect. And looking at the times of the heavy upload, it definitely falls in line with when the backup would have been running.

The sync is now at 94% (with 56 GB to do). The other thing is when I look under 'Get Files' I see both sets of data - the one under /mnt/user and the one under /storage. The /mnt/user shows my full 938 GB backup size, the /storage shows 923 GB. Is it possible they both theoretically point to the same place but the new path isn't fully synced up yet? Something along those lines must be the case because when I login to my Crashplan account, it says I'm using a total of 990 GB.

4 minutes ago, ScoHo said:

Oddly enough when I look at my upload bandwidth used, it says 33 GB in the last 2 days, which isn't nearly as much as the nearly 1 TB I have backed up, but certainly seems like more than the normal amount I would expect. And looking at the times of the heavy upload, it definitely falls in line with when the backup would have been running.

The sync is now at 94% (with 56 GB to do). The other thing is when I look under 'Get Files' I see both sets of data - the one under /mnt/user and the one under /storage. The /mnt/user shows my full 938 GB backup size, the /storage shows 923 GB. Is it possible they both theoretically point to the same place but the new path isn't fully synced up yet? Something along those lines must be the case because when I login to my Crashplan account, it says I'm using a total of 990 GB.

CrashPlan does deduplication on your data.  It's for this reason that even though you theoretically have twice the same data on different locations, the total number of GB in the cloud is not doubled.

18 minutes ago, Djoss said:

CrashPlan does deduplication on your data.  It's for this reason that even though you theoretically have twice the same data on different locations, the total number of GB in the cloud is not doubled.

Thanks Djoss. Is there a way for me to safely clean up or merge the 2 data sets so Crashplan only shows the /storage one? I guess in the end it doesn't really matter but it kind of bothers me. ;-)

3 minutes ago, ScoHo said:

Thanks Djoss. Is there a way for me to safely clean up or merge the 2 data sets so Crashplan only shows the /storage one? I guess in the end it doesn't really matter but it kind of bothers me. ;-)

If you don't care about file history/versions, click the  "Manage Files" button for your device and unselect everything under /mnt/user.

3 hours ago, Djoss said:

If you don't care about file history/versions, click the  "Manage Files" button for your device and unselect everything under /mnt/user.

Conversely get rid of Djoss structure (/storage) and keep your existing structure (/mnt/user) from gfjardim docker to keep file history/versions. I went this route to keep file history/versions and I imagine others would've done the same.

I've been using CrashPlan PROe here in the UK and backing up to a data centre in Amsterdam using a local CrashPlan reseller. I moved to a local reseller, as the speed was much faster.

Is it possible to use this Docker to backup retain that backup, as I've got just over 350GB backed up and don't want to start again if I can avoid it?

47 minutes ago, WannabeMKII said:

I've been using CrashPlan PROe here in the UK and backing up to a data centre in Amsterdam using a local CrashPlan reseller. I moved to a local reseller, as the speed was much faster.

Is it possible to use this Docker to backup retain that backup, as I've got just over 350GB backed up and don't want to start again if I can avoid it?

Ignore this message, I've carried out a connection test to CrashPlan servers and it maxes out my connection and it's cheaper ;D

Time for a change I think.

23 hours ago, Djoss said:

Under Manage Files there is currently nothing showing in the /mnt folder. Even /user is not there anymore. If I got to 'Get Files' the folders and files are still there though (as well as under /storage).

5 hours ago, ScoHo said:

Under Manage Files there is currently nothing showing in the /mnt folder. Even /user is not there anymore. If I got to 'Get Files' the folders and files are still there though (as well as under /storage).

I guess it's because CrashPlan doesn't remove "deleted" files instantly from the cloud.  There is a setting that allows you to specify how long to keep them.

1 hour ago, Djoss said:

@ScoHo and @statecowboy, I think I found how to remove the old paths (/mnt/user/) from CrashPlan's cloud side:

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/6/Configuring/Delete_files_from_your_backup_archive#Remove_unwanted_versions_immediately

Thanks!  That actually did the trick.  I can now see storage under the manage tab.  Curious though, it looks like I am backing up other paths as shown in the attached.  I only need storage, correct?  (only really care about the array - at some point in the future I may add my dockers (on an unassigned device)).

Untitled.png

14 minutes ago, statecowboy said:

Thanks!  That actually did the trick.  I can now see storage under the manage tab.  Curious though, it looks like I am backing up other paths as shown in the attached.  I only need storage, correct?  (only really care about the array - at some point in the future I may add my dockers (on an unassigned device)).

Untitled.png

Correct, all your files somewhere under /storage.

Great, thank you @Djoss.  One other quick question, I have about 9TB of data.  At first it backed up the first 500GB or so in a day or so.  Now it's showing anticipated completion of 78 days.  I've tried optimizing my settings according to crahsplan's recommendations to allow it to use more bandwidth but it doesn't seem to make a difference.  Is this common?

EDIT - I got in touch with crashplan support and they stated "With that being said, we are a shared service, so we are not able to take advantage of your network's full bandwidth. Our upload and download speeds are also influenced by our encryption and de-duplication procedures. We expect our customers to experience speeds in the 1 to 5 Mbps range. "

So, looks like it is actually going to take that long.  Yeesh.

Edited by statecowboy
On 20/02/2018 at 1:15 PM, WannabeMKII said:
On 20/02/2018 at 12:25 PM, WannabeMKII said:

Ignore this message, I've carried out a connection test to CrashPlan servers and it maxes out my connection and it's cheaper ;D

Time for a change I think.

I think I 'may' have spoken too soon on this, especially as my upload speed is about to double.

Does anyone know if docker can support other CrashPlan cloud servers, as I have all the address details etc? I looked at 'Destinations' under device preferences, but it doesn't appear to let you add anything, local or cloud based?

2 hours ago, WannabeMKII said:

I think I 'may' have spoken too soon on this, especially as my upload speed is about to double.

Does anyone know if docker can support other CrashPlan cloud servers, as I have all the address details etc? I looked at 'Destinations' under device preferences, but it doesn't appear to let you add anything, local or cloud based?

With this container, you can add a local destination, but not a cloud one.  To use a different CrashPlan server, it seems that you need the enterprise version of CrashPlan.

However, I don't know if this can work, but you could try to edit the my.service.xml file (under "conf" folder in your container's appdata) and set your server address in the "authority" tag.  You may also need to set the "orgType" to "ENTERPRISE".

8 hours ago, Djoss said:

With this container, you can add a local destination, but not a cloud one.  To use a different CrashPlan server, it seems that you need the enterprise version of CrashPlan.

However, I don't know if this can work, but you could try to edit the my.service.xml file (under "conf" folder in your container's appdata) and set your server address in the "authority" tag.  You may also need to set the "orgType" to "ENTERPRISE".

I guess I can give that a try.

What's the best way to do it, as I don't want to potentially mess up my install? Would it be as simple as stopping the docker, making a copy of the 'my.service.xml' file, changing the settings and restarting the docker? Then if all goes pear shaped, stop the docker and put the original xml file back?

Don't want to risk having to upload over 250GB again... :D

24 minutes ago, WannabeMKII said:

I guess I can give that a try.

What's the best way to do it, as I don't want to potentially mess up my install? Would it be as simple as stopping the docker, making a copy of the 'my.service.xml' file, changing the settings and restarting the docker? Then if all goes pear shaped, stop the docker and put the original xml file back?

Don't want to risk having to upload over 250GB again... :D

Since you just want to test, I would just backup the current appdata and start again with a fresh one:

• Stop the container.
  • Move your current appdata:
  • mv /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO-backup

Start the container (the appdata will be re-created).

• Once CrashPlan is ready, stop the container again.
  • Edit my.service.xml.
  • Start the container again.

To comes back to your original installation:

• Stop the container.
  • Remove the current appdata:
  • rm -r /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO

Restore your original one:

• mv /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO-backup /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO

Start the container.

7 minutes ago, WannabeMKII said:

Gave it a try and when I got to the login screen, it wouldn't let me login with my Code42 details or the local reseller details?

I've contacted support for the reseller, so will see what they come up with.

Any other ideas?

What do you mean by "reseller details"?  You mean the username/password?