[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business)

I haven't looked at my CP config in awhile (nothing has changed in structure in ages). Was just doing some verification today and noticed I can't manage my media files anymore. CP still shows I have 13TB backed up which is on the low side. All I see are the local configuration files and the flash drive. Container config shows /shares is mapped to /mnt/user. However, there is no /shares directory from the WebUI. Not sure how long it's been in this state. I logged into console and I see my mappings there, but not in the WebUI.

Suggestions on where to look on why my mappings aren't showing up in the WebUI? Just seems like an incomplete list and does not match what I see from console (some system items are there, but random).

EDIT: Did some more checking. Clicked on Restore and I see up to date information there including all of my media files (last updated last night). So, this is really weird why I can't manage this from the WebUI to add and remove things.

Edited by snowboardjoe
1 hour ago, snowboardjoe said:

I haven't looked at my CP config in awhile (nothing has changed in structure in ages). Was just doing some verification today and noticed I can't manage my media files anymore. CP still shows I have 13TB backed up which is on the low side. All I see are the local configuration files and the flash drive. Container config shows /shares is mapped to /mnt/user. However, there is no /shares directory from the WebUI. Not sure how long it's been in this state. I logged into console and I see my mappings there, but not in the WebUI.

Suggestions on where to look on why my mappings aren't showing up in the WebUI? Just seems like an incomplete list and does not match what I see from console (some system items are there, but random).

EDIT: Did some more checking. Clicked on Restore and I see up to date information there including all of my media files (last updated last night). So, this is really weird why I can't manage this from the WebUI to add and remove things.

Just to make sure we are on the same page, can you provide a screenshot of what you see?

On 1/14/2019 at 8:57 PM, Djoss said:

Yes this is a known issue.  Note that as a workaround, you can change this setting from the console at crashplan.com/console

Is this something being worked on?

I have been really frustrated with Crashplan, the upload speed has turned to sh*t here is Australia. Its crawling to the point of not being usable. 

May have to look at something else.

14 hours ago, Djoss said:

Just to make sure we are on the same page, can you provide a screenshot of what you see?

Attached here. I've also opened a support request with Code42. The flash is present, but my storage directory is not present (yet, it is backed up nightly without any issue and verified). Very strange to see this inconsistency. Can't add/remove/modify backups of any share right now.

2006745895_ScreenShot2019-01-20at10_57_56AM.thumb.png.31a8f5131276eaa399956851cbb61afe.png

55 minutes ago, snowboardjoe said:

Attached here. I've also opened a support request with Code42. The flash is present, but my storage directory is not present (yet, it is backed up nightly without any issue and verified). Very strange to see this inconsistency. Can't add/remove/modify backups of any share right now.

2006745895_ScreenShot2019-01-20at10_57_56AM.thumb.png.31a8f5131276eaa399956851cbb61afe.png

Did you try to scroll down the list?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I have gotten my monthly email update and noticed that I haven't had a 100% backup completed in nearly 60 days.

When launching the container I see the following errors.

Note my server uptime is only 17 days, so this container has recently been restarted a little over 2 weeks ago.

Would love to know how to fix these for good so I don't have non-completed backups and so that it runs effectively.

EDIT: Also it looks like a partial cause of my backups not being fully complete for 60 days is that 3 files are not backing up?

Where can I find detailed logs that show me which files are having these issues so I can take the appropriate actions?

In the crashplanpro.com "history" for this device I see the following in December

12/29/18 09:00PM [User Shares] Starting backup to CrashPlan PRO Online: 275 files (9GB) to back up
12/29/18 09:10PM [User Shares] Completed backup to CrashPlan PRO Online in 0h:10m:03s: 307 files (16.80GB) backed up, 55.60MB encrypted and sent @ 2.4Mbps (Effective rate: 319.6Mbps)
12/29/18 09:10PM  - Unable to backup 3 files (next attempt within 15 minutes)

And then the following now.

01/20/19 08:45PM CrashPlan for Small Business started, version 6.9.0, GUID 831523038531747495
01/20/19 08:45PM [User Shares] Scanning for files to back up
01/20/19 08:45PM [User Shares] Starting backup to CrashPlan PRO Online: 57 files (1.20GB) to back up
01/20/19 08:46PM [User Shares] Scanning for files stopped
01/20/19 08:46PM CrashPlan for Small Business started, version 6.9.0, GUID 831523038531747495
01/20/19 08:46PM [User Shares] Scanning for files to back up
01/20/19 08:46PM [User Shares] Starting backup to CrashPlan PRO Online: 57 files (1.20GB) to back up
01/20/19 08:47PM [User Shares] Scanning for files stopped

image.png.17080be790ee540b87cc1e3611d5c5d2.png

Edited by CorneliousJD
31 minutes ago, CorneliousJD said:

I have gotten my monthly email update and noticed that I haven't had a 100% backup completed in nearly 60 days.

When launching the container I see the following errors.

Note my server uptime is only 17 days, so this container has recently been restarted a little over 2 weeks ago.

Would love to know how to fix these for good so I don't have non-completed backups and so that it runs effectively.

EDIT: Also it looks like a partial cause of my backups not being fully complete for 60 days is that 3 files are not backing up?

Where can I find detailed logs that show me which files are having these issues so I can take the appropriate actions?

In the crashplanpro.com "history" for this device I see the following in December

12/29/18 09:00PM [User Shares] Starting backup to CrashPlan PRO Online: 275 files (9GB) to back up
12/29/18 09:10PM [User Shares] Completed backup to CrashPlan PRO Online in 0h:10m:03s: 307 files (16.80GB) backed up, 55.60MB encrypted and sent @ 2.4Mbps (Effective rate: 319.6Mbps)
12/29/18 09:10PM  - Unable to backup 3 files (next attempt within 15 minutes)

And then the following now.

01/20/19 08:45PM CrashPlan for Small Business started, version 6.9.0, GUID 831523038531747495
01/20/19 08:45PM [User Shares] Scanning for files to back up
01/20/19 08:45PM [User Shares] Starting backup to CrashPlan PRO Online: 57 files (1.20GB) to back up
01/20/19 08:46PM [User Shares] Scanning for files stopped
01/20/19 08:46PM CrashPlan for Small Business started, version 6.9.0, GUID 831523038531747495
01/20/19 08:46PM [User Shares] Scanning for files to back up
01/20/19 08:46PM [User Shares] Starting backup to CrashPlan PRO Online: 57 files (1.20GB) to back up
01/20/19 08:47PM [User Shares] Scanning for files stopped

image.png.17080be790ee540b87cc1e3611d5c5d2.png

The amount of RAM allocated to that docker is not enough for what the application needs. Change the Maximum Memory setting in the docker config for CrashPlan provided you have enough free RAM for it (but keep it reasonable as you can always increase it later as needed). 

22 minutes ago, snowboardjoe said:

The amount of RAM allocated to that docker is not enough for what the application needs. Change the Maximum Memory setting in the docker config for CrashPlan provided you have enough free RAM for it (but keep it reasonable as you can always increase it later as needed). 

Do you have a resource that you can point me to that shows how to do this? I'm not familiar with the process as I haven't needed to increase it for any other containers yet, so this is new to me - thanks!

EDIT - Have 128GB of RAM in the server running unRAID so I should be able to give it a sizeable bump.

EDIT2 - I see this container has a special place for that, whoops! Increasing it to 2048 for now to just make sure that solves all the issues for me first - I can reduce it later if I feel the need.

Edited by CorneliousJD
1 minute ago, CorneliousJD said:

Do you have a resource that you can point me to that shows how to do this? I'm not familiar with the process as I haven't needed to increase it for any other containers yet, so this is new to me - thanks!

EDIT - Have 128GB of RAM in the server running unRAID so I should be able to give it a sizeable bump.

1. Go to unRAID dashboard.
  2. Go to Docker.
  3. Select CrashPlanPRO.
  4. Scroll to bottom and expand "Show more settings...".
  5. Locate Maximum Memory setting (the default is 1024M).
  6. If you've got plenty of RAM to spare, I would bump up to 2048M.
  7. Click Apply at bottom and container will be restarted with new settings.
39 minutes ago, snowboardjoe said:
  1. Go to unRAID dashboard.
  2. Go to Docker.
  3. Select CrashPlanPRO.
  4. Scroll to bottom and expand "Show more settings...".
  5. Locate Maximum Memory setting (the default is 1024M).
  6. If you've got plenty of RAM to spare, I would bump up to 2048M.
  7. Click Apply at bottom and container will be restarted with new settings.

Had found this out from the github page right as you posted it. I didn't realize when I was asking that it was something container-specific, I thought it was something I could increase/decrease for each container somewhere in unRAID settings. 

Thanks for the post - I'm back up and running and I found the file at hand that was causing the issue, a database file I'm backing up another way every week anyhow and that's only a big log for HomeAssistant - excluded that from the backups and I think we should be good to go now, thank you very much!

For the inotify watch limit, is that a setting somewhere in unRAID that I can change though if I keep getting that error? 

Thanks in advance!

6 hours ago, CorneliousJD said:

For the inotify watch limit, is that a setting somewhere in unRAID that I can change though if I keep getting that error? 

I think the way to go is to use the "Tips and Tweaks" plugin to adjust the inotify limit.

• Upvote 1
On 1/19/2019 at 11:25 PM, Lebowski said:

Is this something being worked on?

It's not clear yet if the issue is on the container or CrashPlan side...

On 1/19/2019 at 11:25 PM, Lebowski said:

I have been really frustrated with Crashplan, the upload speed has turned to sh*t here is Australia. Its crawling to the point of not being usable.

Did you try to contact CP about this?  Something they can switch you to another server.

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided to give Crashplan a try, it is backing up right now.

So in case my unraid server wouldn't boot up anymore because all drives died over night, how exactly would I restore my files? I'm just curious because there doesn't seem to be a way to just download (certain) backed up data?

EDIT: my mistake, thought the web service would restore to the machine instead of offering a download...

Edited by lixe
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/1/2019 at 8:03 AM, lixe said:

my mistake, thought the web service would restore to the machine instead of offering a download...

Yep! That's how it works. You can even install a CP client on another system and restore that way too once you're logged into it with your account. Web is super easy, so multiple options available.

Hi, just got this up and running with the trial account but all my backup sets seem to be stuck at the "Preparing to backup" status for the past few days.

Looking through the web interface it shows that the device is online however nothing has been uploaded.

The only setting I have changed since installing the container are:

• Set Security Connection = 1 (although I have since changed this back to 0)
  • Changed device to use Custom Key for Archive Encryption.

Also checked the logs and nothing jumps out.

Any ideas?

sc_2019224_125645_742.thumb.png.cee958a81235f026eab84a02dd62357f.png

17 hours ago, unRaide said:

Hi, just got this up and running with the trial account but all my backup sets seem to be stuck at the "Preparing to backup" status for the past few days.

Looking through the web interface it shows that the device is online however nothing has been uploaded.

The only setting I have changed since installing the container are:

• Set Security Connection = 1 (although I have since changed this back to 0)
  • Changed device to use Custom Key for Archive Encryption.

Also checked the logs and nothing jumps out.

Any ideas?

The secure connection setting only applies to attaching to the local client running on your unRAID host. Has it ever completed a backup? Does CP on the server end show it's getting a connection?

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what's happening, looking at my logs and the Engine just keeps trying to run.  I have restarted the docker, the server, removed the docker and reinstalled today but no luck.  The GUI just gives the spinning circle of doom and says "Code42 cannot connect to its background service."  Any ideas on how to get it going?

image.png.af30da60b0dec0bf1e5ba8e1209676aa.png

7 hours ago, RAINMAN said:

Anyone notice extremely slow upload speed the last week or 2?  Trying to figure out if its me somehow or crashplan.

I've not noticed, but you can try to contact CrashPlan support to see if there is a known issue on their side.