[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business)

6 hours ago, Djoss said:

Did you check if a recent file that has been backup could be restored?

Yes.

Funny thing that just now I see that the status of the backup is correct - in both of their console and the new android app.

Might be they had a glitch on one of the servers holding my data .. ?

I opened a ticket yesterday anyway, will see what they're saying

Thanks for your help :)

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Trftimes said:

I need an installer for a version that is compatible with Mac OS 10.8. Mine was working fine until 3 days ago. I tried reinstalling but my version 3 is too old to connect to their server. Support told me to buy a new computer or upgrade but that is not in the budget. If I could try version 4 I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

You have posted to the support thread for running Crashplan as a docker under Unraid. Our forum is not about Mac OS, except perhaps when running that OS as a virtual machine under Unraid.

Are you trying to use Unraid for anything?

Not sure if this is the right thread...  But I figured this would get the most traction...

Since my promotional period for crash plan ended,  I'm now paying about $10/mo.  This is like about 4x what the promotional

price was.

Is everyone still using crashplan?  Is there something better? Cheaper? with unlimited storage?

Oh and kudos to folks that maintain this great docker! :-)

Edited by jbuszkie
1 hour ago, jbuszkie said:

Not sure if this is the right thread...  But I figured this would get the most traction...

Since my promotional period for crash plan ended,  I'm now paying about $10/mo.  This is like about 4x what the promotional

price was.

Is everyone still using crashplan?  Is there something better? Cheaper? with unlimited storage?

Oh and kudos to folks that maintain this great docker! 🙂

It depends on how many data you need to backup... You can have a look at BackBlaze B2 (https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html), which have great price but not unlimited storage.

54 minutes ago, Djoss said:

It depends on how many data you need to backup... You can have a look at BackBlaze B2 (https://www.backblaze.com/b2/cloud-storage-pricing.html), which have great price but not unlimited storage.

@jbuszkie Unless you are backing up less that 2TB to CrashPlan it remains a better option than Backblaze.  They charge $.005 per GB per month to backup data.  I backup 9TB to CrashPlan.  At BackBlaze prices that would be $45 per month.  They also charge $.01 per GB downloaded in case you need to recover data.

For backing up a lot of data, Crashplan, even at $10 a month is better than competing options as it is truly unlimited backup.  For smaller amounts of data, you can find lower-cost options.

Djoss alluded to all this, but, you need to do the math and project future needs so you don't get blindsided by the cost.

Edited by Hoopster

Crap..  I may have to switch to something else.  I'm only backing up 210GB worth of data.

One of the past updates must have canned all my Acronis backup files.

I remember they said they were going to exclude some backup files and VM's but last time I checked it was still there.  Now it's not.

I really want to keep my acronis files (all my PC backups) protected in the cloud.

If I can't do that with crashplan, then I'm screwed.  Is there anyway around this?

Jim

6 minutes ago, jbuszkie said:

If I can't do that with crashplan, then I'm screwed.  Is there anyway around this?

That's why I have a backup server in the basement and I periodically back up really important stuff (Like my Acronis backups of all the household computers) to a USB hard drive that can be stored offsite.

CrashPlan explicity excludes .tib files (Acronis backups).  You could try renaming them with a different extension and try to 'fool' CrashPlan into backing them up.  If it takes them and does not delete them, you could then try downloading one and renaming it with the .tib extension to see if Acronis still likes it.

Looks like Acronis is trying to take advantage of CrashPlan's recent changes in file exclusions that resulted in the elimination of lots of data from customer backups.

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/blog/posts/crashplan-code42-announces-new-file-exclusions-and-deletes-client-historical-backups

https://www.acronis.com/en-us/lp/business/backup/welcomehome/

Edited by Hoopster

Man this is a real bummer...

I can rename the extension and it seems like CP will back it up...

So this will work for backups for computers that don't exist anymore. (Why do I need them??? stupid hoarder of backups! :-) )

But for active backups, I'll have to do something  more creative...

I'll have to try softlinked tib files to renamed extension files for active backups...

this last f up regarding exluding certain customer data type, the move from me paying 10 per month to suddenly 50 ( 5 servers) the crazy slow speed (even with all tricks) and the final straw when i lost 6tb of uploaded data from a share that moved to a different server and i used the nice feature to take over uploaded data from another server which wiped all the uoloaded data from the existing server instead of adding it to it, made me move to backblaze b2 instead of waiting for months for a new upload.

Billion times faster as they recently opened a new dc next door and i pay roughly the same adding it all up. Also feels like i have way more control over my data instead of some black box with crashplan on the other side. Use my old faithfull syncovery to do all the backups to b2 now.

One more week to go and all my uploads are already finished (crazy fast) and will trash the last crashplan node after 6 years with them. Time to move on......

2 hours ago, jbuszkie said:

Man this is a real bummer...

I can rename the extension and it seems like CP will back it up...

So this will work for backups for computers that don't exist anymore. (Why do I need them??? stupid hoarder of backups! :-) )

But for active backups, I'll have to do something  more creative...

I'll have to try softlinked tib files to renamed extension files for active backups...

Well the soft-linked files may work.   I just tried to validate an Acronis backup set using soft links.  Acronis validated the backup just fine.

We'll see if it will add to the incremental backup...  I will have to keep up with it as every time it updates, the update file will have to be renamed and then linked back if I want to be completely protected..

What a pain...

Maybe I will move to backblaze...   I'll have to see what I really *need* to be backed up...

hey guys, just started using this.   Tried deleting a file in my keep directory on my server.  I then went to restore it from Crashplan but it said it was a read only file system.  Probably a permissions error or something, any ideas how to fix this?

Sorry found the fix editing the container's storage permissions..

Edited by xman111
  • Like 1
On 10/30/2019 at 4:12 PM, xman111 said:

oh, i didn't know that, is that just a safety check so no files get overwritten by mistake?

It's a good practice to provide minimal permissions.  And this provides you an extra protection to make sure CrashPlan and/or the container don't touch your data.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been running this for a couple of years and never had any issues. Today I got an email that my server hasn't been backed up in 6 days. I went to the UI for the container and it asks me to login, but all I get is "Unable to sign-in". I've checked my password about 30 times, logged in fine to crashplanpro.com, restarted my server (thinking maybe it had lost internet connection), and verified things look correct. Anyone have any recommendations? 

2lc7tMd.png

OZcvGdL.png

On 11/28/2019 at 9:19 AM, jtenman said:

I've been running this for a couple of years and never had any issues. Today I got an email that my server hasn't been backed up in 6 days. I went to the UI for the container and it asks me to login, but all I get is "Unable to sign-in". I've checked my password about 30 times, logged in fine to crashplanpro.com, restarted my server (thinking maybe it had lost internet connection), and verified things look correct. Anyone have any recommendations? 

2lc7tMd.png

OZcvGdL.png

Can you have a look at /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO/log/service.log.0 to see if there is any details that could help?

26 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Can you have a look at /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO/log/service.log.0 to see if there is any details that could help?

I'm an idiot. Just ignore me. I have a capital i in my password that looks like a lower case L...too bad I can't copy and paste in to the ui. Thanks for responding.

Edited by jtenman
Figured out the problem - removing unnecessary logs.
On 12/1/2019 at 8:42 PM, jtenman said:

I'm an idiot. Just ignore me. I have a capital i in my password that looks like a lower case L...too bad I can't copy and paste in to the ui. Thanks for responding.

Note that you can copy past to the UI using the "Clipboard" button.

I don't think this is possible, since this file is not expected to be manually edited

Yeah. I get that. I needed to backup my media files which amount to 18Tb. I tried it before and was going to take years so I gave up only to come back to the idea after part of my server caught fire. :(

Anyway, after researching the slowness I found a way to speed things up by disabling deduplication in the my.services.xml file. It isn’t recommended for normal things, but these files rarely if ever change. And I have some huge files from ripping discs without compression.

So with a couple edits I’ll be able to upload everything in 3 months vs years. Not a bad trade off.

Is it possible to have the items editable in the docker config so even after an update or restart the edits are mad automatically? If so I can supply the items needing editing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro