[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business)

2 hours ago, DBJordan said:

When /user/local/sbin/mover runs, it exits with status 1. Because mover redirects its logging to /dev/null, I executed it manually from the command line and it complained because this link is invalid:

root@Truesource:/mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO/log# ls -ld log
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 11 Jun 12 10:20 log -> /config/log

The link is valid within the container's context, just not outside the container.

Is anyone else seeing this? If so is there any way to fix it? I'd prefer to see mover exit 0 in my syslog!

Thanks.

The mover tries to move the file from where to where ?  By default /mnt/user/appdata resides on the cache pool only, so files should not be moved (unless your cache pool was full).

2 hours ago, Djoss said:

The mover tries to move the file from where to where ?  By default /mnt/user/appdata resides on the cache pool only, so files should not be moved (unless your cache pool was full).

Not sure -- is there a way to make mover's output more detailed? It just says this:

root@Truesource:~# mover
Specified filename /mnt/disk6/appdata/CrashPlanPRO/.code42/log does not exist.

Edit: I got it working now that I realized it ws in CrashPlanPRO/.code42/log and not CrashPlanPRO/log. Just deleted the directory in the /mnt/user/appdata share, cycled the docker container, and invoked the mover again. It finished without error. Not sure how it got borked in the first place, but all is working now. Thanks!

Edited by DBJordan
solved issue

CrashPlanPRO cannot connect to its background service.

I'm at my wit's end. I've had this issue for 5 months and I haven't been able to configure my client in that time. I finally have had a couple of days where I could deep dive on it but I'm coming up empty. Full disclosure: I'm no Linux/UNRAID/CL master by a long shot.

What I haven't been able to do is restart the "engine", even after several uninstall/reinstall cycles. At least, I don't think I've been able to. My command line skills are a 2 out of 10, at best, but I was finally able to at least get to the engine logs. I've attached the error log. Does anybody have any ideas as to what's going on? I really want to get this back up and running.

engine_error.log

On 6/16/2020 at 5:43 PM, Wildcat76 said:

CrashPlanPRO cannot connect to its background service.

I'm at my wit's end. I've had this issue for 5 months and I haven't been able to configure my client in that time. I finally have had a couple of days where I could deep dive on it but I'm coming up empty. Full disclosure: I'm no Linux/UNRAID/CL master by a long shot.

What I haven't been able to do is restart the "engine", even after several uninstall/reinstall cycles. At least, I don't think I've been able to. My command line skills are a 2 out of 10, at best, but I was finally able to at least get to the engine logs. I've attached the error log. Does anybody have any ideas as to what's going on? I really want to get this back up and running.

engine_error.log 140.94 kB · 0 downloads

Do you have created the container with default settings ?

22 hours ago, johnwhicker said:

CrashPlan Performance Question & Guidance

Am I doing something wrong?  I have gigabit ISP and yet I am pushing just 4 megs up   I will be at this for 70 some days   Is this common?  Any tweaking I can do?  Anything I should know?  Best practices? 

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 8.27.52 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-23 at 8.28.26 PM.png

Yes, this is common and expected.  CrashPlan service is known to be slow.

However, with deduplication, you may end up with faster completion time...

On 6/25/2020 at 7:09 AM, Djoss said:

Yes, this is common and expected.  CrashPlan service is known to be slow.

However, with deduplication, you may end up with faster completion time...

Thanks partner.  So reading up on the deduplication matters I don't think this will make a difference in my case honestly.  All I am backing up is pretty much pictures and videos which are very static and metadata does not change at all.  I add more pictures or videos after a photoshoot job but everything else stays the same.  Am I understanding your point and this write up correctly Sir?

https://support.code42.com/CrashPlan/4/Configuring/Unsupported_changes_to_CrashPlan_de-duplication_settings

Thanks again for making the time to comment and guide

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2020 at 3:27 PM, repomanz said:

@Djoss just wanted to make sure you got this notice today.  Please note the path changes coming up in the next version.  Not sure if this will break our current container installs or not.

https://support.code42.com/Administrator/Small_Business/Troubleshooting/Code42_app_version_8.2.0_changes_for_Small_Business

repo

Thanks for the heads-up!  I will have a look at this once the new version comes out.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Wildcat76 said:

Circling back around on this. Any ideas as to what may be causing my issue? Thanks again for your help.

So were you able to perform an initial backup ?  If not, you can try to start from a clean state:

• Stop the container.
  • Remove /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO
  • Start the container.
On 7/9/2020 at 10:12 AM, Djoss said:

So were you able to perform an initial backup ?  If not, you can try to start from a clean state:

• Stop the container.
  • Remove /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO
  • Start the container.

By "Remove", do you mean remove that text from the Config Directory line in the container settings, or do you mean entirely delete that directory from the file system?

4 hours ago, Wildcat76 said:

By "Remove", do you mean remove that text from the Config Directory line in the container settings, or do you mean entirely delete that directory from the file system?

IT WORKED! I deleted the /mnt/user/appdata/CrashPlanPRO directory and restarted the container and all is well. I'm starting a new backup from scratch just to be sure. Thanks for your help, DJoss! 🙌

On 7/18/2020 at 7:09 PM, Alex.b said:

Do you recommend CrashPlan Pro as backup off-site ? 

I have 1Gb/500mb fiber. I have around 4 Tb to upload, is upload good to crashplan, how about download ? 

thank you

Upload speed is very slow with CrashPlan.  Expects several weeks to complete the initial backup.  For download, I think the speed is better, maybe someone else can confirm.

Takes both ways times, download seems a bit faster then upload for the times i did restore some matters from it.

On 7/18/2020 at 9:29 PM, Djoss said:

Yes working on this :) 

Thanks, trying it now :D

Edited by LMD
  • 2 weeks later...

Anyone else have issues where the UI seems to semi-freeze? Particularly while a backup is running?

Sometimes I get into a state where I open the web UI to view my crashplan upload progress, and I'm shown the login screen which is normal if I havent been on in a bit, and I send my password through the clipboard, paste, and then when I hit login nothing happens. I can move the text cursor, highlight the password, but backspace doesnt do anything. It gets stuck in this weird limbo state where I just cant really do anything. If I open the help window, I cant exit out of it.

Last time this happened, I eventually logged on like a day later and it was fine, but it's annoying because I want to know where a backup is at so I can make some plans to schedule some work.

54 minutes ago, johnwhicker said:

Well, something is very WRONG with this service.

Sorry I can't offer constructive advice, but I dumped crashplan when they killed the option to back up to another device you own and forced all backups into their server farm. Do you have any relatives with fast internet that would be willing to host a box that you provide in exchange for space on your local server and or shared payment for power and internet?

2 hours ago, jonathanm said:

Sorry I can't offer constructive advice, but I dumped crashplan when they killed the option to back up to another device you own and forced all backups into their server farm. Do you have any relatives with fast internet that would be willing to host a box that you provide in exchange for space on your local server and or shared payment for power and internet?

Thanks partner....

Well I could find someone, but then is like setting up another box and dealing with support and all that, not like I don't have enough computers :(  I am trying to simplify my life here :)  

Looks like is stuck at 4 megs up, full stop, period.  BASTARDS.  What good is my gigabit ISP if they can't take a decent upload speed.

1569990141_ScreenShot2020-08-04at6_47_48PM.thumb.png.707c74045bfe7c0cfb2b0945f7122e2f.png

On 8/3/2020 at 1:35 PM, ryancacophony said:

Anyone else have issues where the UI seems to semi-freeze? Particularly while a backup is running?

Sometimes I get into a state where I open the web UI to view my crashplan upload progress, and I'm shown the login screen which is normal if I havent been on in a bit, and I send my password through the clipboard, paste, and then when I hit login nothing happens. I can move the text cursor, highlight the password, but backspace doesnt do anything. It gets stuck in this weird limbo state where I just cant really do anything. If I open the help window, I cant exit out of it.

Last time this happened, I eventually logged on like a day later and it was fine, but it's annoying because I want to know where a backup is at so I can make some plans to schedule some work.

Not sure if we can do something with the issue, but in CrashPlan settings, you can disable the need to periodically login to the UI...

Per my last issue (Crashplan freezing), I think some combination of raising the default memory and updating the docker container fixed it (I'm also getting much better upload speed now, though still not maxing out my connection, but that's crashplan for ya)

I do have one issue that's consistently bothering me though. I'm not sure if its caused by crashplan or some setting on UNRAID - every day at 3am my crashplan backup stops, and I have to restart it when I get up in the morning. the only think I had scheduled then AFAIK is my SSD trim (which crashplpan is accessing my array not SSD, largely) and I set that to only once a week but it still happens every day. Any idea what might be causing it? is there a log I can check?

On 8/11/2020 at 8:58 AM, ryancacophony said:

Per my last issue (Crashplan freezing), I think some combination of raising the default memory and updating the docker container fixed it (I'm also getting much better upload speed now, though still not maxing out my connection, but that's crashplan for ya)

I do have one issue that's consistently bothering me though. I'm not sure if its caused by crashplan or some setting on UNRAID - every day at 3am my crashplan backup stops, and I have to restart it when I get up in the morning. the only think I had scheduled then AFAIK is my SSD trim (which crashplpan is accessing my array not SSD, largely) and I set that to only once a week but it still happens every day. Any idea what might be causing it? is there a log I can check?

Do you have configured a backup schedule in CrashPlan ?