Jump to content
Djoss

[Support] Djoss - CrashPlan PRO (aka CrashPlan for Small Business)

777 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Unfortunately everything looks normal.

Did you try to remove the config directory from container's settings?

Looks like you have found the solution! I removed the config directory, applied the setting which automatically restarted the container - I logged in, created a new device, set the destination and restarted the container - the service started normally. Hooray! I will now try to take over the old device or just re-upload the data and report back the results.

 

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Michael_P said:

Looks like you have found the solution! I removed the config directory, applied the setting which automatically restarted the container - I logged in, created a new device, set the destination and restarted the container - the service started normally. Hooray! I will now try to take over the old device or just re-upload the data and report back the results.

 

Thank you very much for your assistance!

Well unfortunately it's not a solution.  By removing the config directory the container has no persistent storage.  This means that re-creating the container (by updating the image or by changing a setting) will make you start from scratch (i.e. you will need to log in, take over the device, etc).

 

However, this test shows that there is something wrong happening when the container is writing stuff to a folder mapped to the host.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Well unfortunately it's not a solution.  By removing the config directory the container has no persistent storage.  This means that re-creating the container (by updating the image or by changing a setting) will make you start from scratch (i.e. you will need to log in, take over the device, etc).

 

However, this test shows that there is something wrong happening when the container is writing stuff to a folder mapped to the host.

Well that's a downer, what do you suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Michael_P said:

Well that's a downer, what do you suggest?

Do you have any (disk related) errors in the system log?  Do you have the "Fix Common Problems" plugin installed?

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Do you have any (disk related) errors in the system log?  Do you have the "Fix Common Problems" plugin installed?

No disk errors noted (just a random IRQ 16 nobody cares that I haven't gotten around to addressing) - I have Fix Common Problems installed, only lists the IRQ16 problem

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Michael_P said:

No disk errors noted (just a random IRQ 16 nobody cares that I haven't gotten around to addressing) - I have Fix Common Problems installed, only lists the IRQ16 problem

Can you make the following test: Configure the config directory to "/tmp/CrashPlanPRO".

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Can you make the following test: Configure the config directory to "/tmp/CrashPlanPRO".

How do I do that?

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Michael_P said:

How do I do that?

If you still have the version without the config directory set, delete your container and re-install it.

Then, in the container settings, click on "Show more settings" and set the "Config Directory" to "/tmp/CrashPlanPRO".

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Djoss said:

If you still have the version without the config directory set, delete your container and re-install it.

Then, in the container settings, click on "Show more settings" and set the "Config Directory" to "/tmp/CrashPlanPRO".

OK, I've done that - added a new device and stopped and started the container and it restarts properly

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Djoss said:

If you still have the version without the config directory set, delete your container and re-install it.

Then, in the container settings, click on "Show more settings" and set the "Config Directory" to "/tmp/CrashPlanPRO".

OK, following your lead - I tried to re-create the folder in appdata a few times, without success - service wouldn't restart. SO, I created a new share to stuff the container into, and it works - so something is wrong with my appdata folder.

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Michael_P said:

OK, following your lead - I tried to re-create the folder in appdata a few times, without success - service wouldn't restart. SO, I created a new share to stuff the container into, and it works - so something is wrong with my appdata folder.

Is your new share has the same settings has the appdata one?

 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Is your new share has the same settings has the appdata one?

 

As far as I know. One of my troubleshooting steps was to delete and re-create the appdata share

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Michael_P said:

As far as I know. One of my troubleshooting steps was to delete and re-create the appdata share

Did this work?

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Djoss said:

Did this work?

 

Using appdata does not work, but using my new "app" folder does. There must be a permissions problem with my appdata folder.

 

I'm happy to leave it run in the new folder since it's working there but if you know which permissions should be assigned to appdata manually, I would appreciate the knowledge

Share this post


Link to post
On 5/25/2018 at 3:13 PM, Michael_P said:

 

Using appdata does not work, but using my new "app" folder does. There must be a permissions problem with my appdata folder.

 

I'm happy to leave it run in the new folder since it's working there but if you know which permissions should be assigned to appdata manually, I would appreciate the knowledge

The appdata folder doesn't seems to have anything special regarding permissions:

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 562 May 15 20:34 appdata

Also, if it was a permission issue, no file would be written.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Djoss said:

The appdata folder doesn't seems to have anything special regarding permissions:


drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 562 May 15 20:34 appdata

Also, if it was a permission issue, no file would be written.

It is an odd issue, for sure. It's running fine now in the new folder, so thank you for your help!

Share this post


Link to post

Has anybody figured any ways to optimize memory usage? Right now I've got the cap set at 8GB (`8192M`) - half of the 16GB in my system.  After a few hours, I'm still getting warnings that I'm hitting 85 or 95 percent of the memory limit, and the GUI gets unresponsive.  

 

Before I resort to buying more RAM, is there any config settings to help tame that? Or does one just need 16GB dedicated to Crashplan to back up 10TB of data? Or will it chew through 16GB just as fast as it chews through 8GB? ? 

 

(Not related to @Djoss's dockerization work - that's working perfectly :) - , but this thread is where the most active CP discussion is..) 

Share this post


Link to post

Just an FYI for somebody trying to use CrashPlan for Small Business for their unRAID server. 

 

Some info; I am a completely new user to this docker and CrashPlan, no previous CP home backups etc. 

I have a 10TB system with 7.58TB used. Biggest offenders of space are movies, tv shows, music, photos, pretty much the regular stuff. 

Most active docker is Plex and it's metadata refreshing etc. 

I'm backing up flash and appdata and storage, which comes out to 7.5TB. 

Even though I have almost 8TB to backup, I have my CP docker memory set to 4G, as I only have 8GB in the system total. I have never gotten a crash from memory issues with this setting. 

 

When I first setup  the docker CP  was reporting that it would take around 5 months to complete the backup. This seemed ridiculous to me, and after letting it run for a month and only backup up 2TB I started tweaking settings. This  is what I landed on that seems to be working as it's done 10% in the last 12 hours and is showing 4.4 days remaining for the 5TB that are left. 

 

The first thing I changed was Frequency and Versions, which I don't think make a difference, but I'm including here for completeness. 

Setting are; 

Back up changes every: 30 minutes

For one week, keep a version: Every week

After one week, keep a version: Every month

After 90 days, keep a version: Every 6 months

After one year, keep a version: Every year

Remove deleted files: Never (I will likely change this as when I delete a file, I do it for a reason)

 

The next thing I changed, which has to be done on the CrashPlan for Small Business website, is to change the Data de-duplication to Minimal. I kind of wish you could turn it off completely, but this is the lowest setting. I also pushed the settings to devices with the radio icon button as I assumed that was important and didn't know how long it would be until the device picked up the setting from CP. 

 

I shut down the docker and remembered a previous post here (thanks @denishay ) about dedupe settings; 

Quote

• Stop the Crashplan docker

• Go to your appdata folder, navigate to your Crahsplan folder

• Edit the "my.service.xml" file in the "conf" folder

 

And change the following value to 1:

          <dataDeDupAutoMaxFileSizeForWan>1</dataDeDupAutoMaxFileSizeForWan>
 

• This will effectively disable the data de-duplication for any file larger than 1 byte for any backup done over the internet

• Start your Crashplan docker again

 

When I looked at mine the value was set to 0, which to my mind would say that no deduping was happening at all, I don't know if it was changed to zero from the Minimal push setting or if it was zero before. Regardless, as people in this thread had some success before, I changed it to 1. 

I probably should have left it, as I really don't know EXACTLY what setting made a difference, but after restarting, it reduced the backup time from 5 months to 5 days. 

 

Thanks to Djoss, and other contributors, things are now working beautifully!

Share this post


Link to post

Quick question -  is Crashplan Pro still a good deal for the $10 month - $120 year?

Not really other options with docker for Unraid?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Share this post


Link to post

All I can say is it is a good solution as it works really well but it really depends on how much data you have to back up as to whether or not it is best for you.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, ajgoyt said:

Quick question -  is Crashplan Pro still a good deal for the $10 month - $120 year?

Not really other options with docker for Unraid?

 

Thanks in advance!

 

Depending on the amount of data you have to backup, you can backup to Backblaze B2 with CloudBerry Backup. 

Share this post


Link to post

Hello All, 

 

Need some help i keep getting a error when using this docker 

 

i have attached a screenshot but error reads 

 

The Application crashed because of a lack of memory more memory is needs to be allocated. 

 

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 9.54.38 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, rguinn said:

Hello All, 

 

Need some help i keep getting a error when using this docker 

 

i have attached a screenshot but error reads 

 

The Application crashed because of a lack of memory more memory is needs to be allocated. 

 

Any ideas?

Screen Shot 2018-07-08 at 9.54.38 AM.png

 

In container's setting, set a value for the ''Maximum Memory'.  You could start by setting it to '4G'.  If you still get the error, increase it again.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.