unRAID freezes and not even console respond [6.3.5]

VoNpo

Hi,

I have problem that my unraid system totally freezes randomly. (max 1-2 times in month.) 

Whole system freezes and it won't even response to keyboard which is connected to unraid box.

Not even _ letter blinking in command line, so only way to fix is do unclean reboot.

Any ideas which could cause this?

Parts:

Motherboard: Supermicro X11SSM-F

Ram: 8GB Samsung M391A1G43DB0-CPB x 2 (16GB total)

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1240v6

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA P2 850w

Edited by VoNpo
1 hour ago, johnnie.black said:

Did you already update your bios to fix the Skylake HT bug?

Haven't heard of that bug before, will try update bios.

EDIT:

Just updated bios and firmware, let's see if this solve my problem! :)

Edited by VoNpo

I updated BIOS and IPMI firmware and server has worked without any problems until now.

Now it freezed in different way.

Connected monitor shows repeately these two lines, never seen these before

crond[1785]: exit status 137 from user root /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/monitor &> /dev/null
crond[1785]: exit status 137 from user root /etc/rc.d//rc.diskinfo --daemon &> /dev/null

Edit:

I just run few passes of memtest86 without any errors

Edited by VoNpo
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/29/2017 at 5:00 PM, VoNpo said:

Connected monitor shows repeately these two lines, never seen these before

crond[1785]: exit status 137 from user root /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/scripts/monitor &> /dev/null
crond[1785]: exit status 137 from user root /etc/rc.d//rc.diskinfo --daemon &> /dev/null

This is from the preclear plugin. Check if there is an update available.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, stormense said:

Fine till today. Starting Krusader and Unraid freeze. I think it was a mistake to purchase this buggy system. Fun but unstable, Ubuntu server is boring but solid.

Million possible reasons for random crashes.  Most are related to hardware.  And, without diagnostics / a syslog from Fix Common Problems in troubleshooting mode, or a screenshot of what's on the locally attached monitor, not much anyone can do to help you.

Have you tried to run a memtest as a start?  If you're running 4 sticks of RAM, are they a match set and on the QVL list?  How's the power supply doing?

Edited by Squid

21 hours ago, Squid said:

Million possible reasons for random crashes.  Most are related to hardware.  And, without diagnostics / a syslog from Fix Common Problems in troubleshooting mode, or a screenshot of what's on the locally attached monitor, not much anyone can do to help you.

Have you tried to run a memtest as a start?  If you're running 4 sticks of RAM, are they a match set and on the QVL list?  How's the power supply doing?

Fix Common Problems: 

No errors found, 
no Warnings found

I have a UPS "unclean shutdown detected of your server" and that because I must force a shutdown when the system freeze. Memtes = nothing.  And here the log when I run the docker Krusader and system freezes.

Nov  5 21:35:17 Tower ntpd[1715]: line 86 column 10 syntax error, unexpected T_String, expecting T_EOC
Nov  5 21:35:17 Tower ntpd[1715]: syntax error in /etc/ntp.conf line 86, column 10
Nov  5 21:35:17 Tower ntpd[1715]: line 87 column 10 syntax error, unexpected T_String, expecting T_EOC
Nov  5 21:35:17 Tower ntpd[1715]: syntax error in /etc/ntp.conf line 87, column 10
Nov  5 21:35:17 Tower ntpd[1715]: line 88 column 10 syntax error, unexpected T_String, expecting T_EOC
Nov  5 21:35:17 Tower ntpd[1715]: syntax error in /etc/ntp.conf line 88, column 10
Nov  5 21:36:19 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: unclean shutdown detected of your server ** Ignored
Nov  6 19:26:27 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: unclean shutdown detected of your server ** Ignored
Nov  6 19:42:05 Tower root: Fix Common Problems: Error: unclean shutdown detected of your server ** Ignored

Edited by stormense