Building a Ryzen NAS ($1.9k AUD) - please review

MattFaz

Hi everyone!

I need a new home server/NAS and have come up with the following build below.

I have built several PCs however this will be my first time using unRaid.

Looking for it to be reviewed before I purchase to make sure there is no noticeable issues or flaws, also have a couple questions at the bottom.

Storage

• 1x 250GB - Cache Drive
  • 1x 8TB HDD - Parity Drive
  • 4x 3TB HDD - Data Drives (already own)
  • 3x 4TB HDD - Data Drives

Purpose
The NAS will run the following applications/roles/Docker containers:

• Media Storage
  • 1x Virtual Machine (Windows)
  • 1x Virtual Machine (Linux Mint)
  • Kodi Headless
  • Emby (Transcode 2-3 1080p streams)
  • MariaDB
  • PHPMyAdmin
  • Sonarr
  • Radarr
  • Sabnzbd
  • Transmission
  • Wordpress
  • PiHole
  • UniFi Controller

Parts List: 

Note: HDDs 7+8 are not included as they will be purchased separately later in the year.

Prices are Australian Dollars (AUD).
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 - $165 
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 1600 - $289 
Motherboard: Asus Prime x370 Pro - $229
RAM: G.Skill Fortis 16GB 2400 (2x8GB) Ryzen DDR4 - $199

GPU: Radeon HD 5450 - Already own
HDD 1: Seagate Ironwolf 8TB - $415 
HDD 2: Seagate Ironwolf 4TB - $209
HDD 3-6: 4x WD Red 3TB - Already own
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVMe M.2 250GB - $185
PSU: SilverStone Strider Gold 550W - $129

Total: $1,909

Questions:

1. I have read that the 8TB do not mount in the Drive Cages of the Node 804 properly. Does anyone know if the R5 has the same problem?
  2. The motherboard does not say using the NVME M.2 SSD Port will disable any of the 8x SATA 3 ports. Can anyone confirm if this is true? If so I have the perfect amount of slots.
  3. Do I need the GPU after initial setup?
  4. Any issues or noticeable flaws that stand out to anyone?

Thank you for your help!

Edited by Mattyfaz
Formatting
28 minutes ago, 1812 said:

Read the ryzen threads before deciding to commit to this. It's not 100% plug and play.

From having a quick read over at the Anybody planning a Ryzen build? thread, it appears the main issue is GPU pass through to VMs. Is that correct? I am not planning on having any GPU pass through. I actually wasn't intending to use a GPU at all but thought I may need it to assist with initial setup and then thought I might need it to boot etc.

Looks like as long as I use unRaid v6.4rc7 I should be okay.

Maybe I should post my build to that thread and see if they identify any issues?

Edited by Mattyfaz
3 minutes ago, Mattyfaz said:

From having a quick read over at the Anybody planning a Ryzen build? thread, it appears the main issue is GPU pass through to VMs? I am not planning on having any GPU pass through. I actually wasn't intending to use a GPU at all but thought I may need it to assist with initial setup and then thought I might need it to boot etc.

Maybe I should post my build to that thread and see if they identify any issues?

That would be the best approach. They know more of the specifics than the at-large forum and will be best suited to help.

Good luck!

1 hour ago, TinkerToyTech said:

on my Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 when I put a NVME Samsung 950 pro on that motherboard I lost half my SATA ports, YMMV

I'm running 8TB WD REDs in my Fractal Node 804 no problem

My two Cents worth

@TinkerToyTech

Hmm this is definitely a concern of mine, I had a look around on the Asus site and could not see it mention anywhere that the SATA 3 ports get disabled if you use NVME m.2 drives. I might have to contact Asus to find out, I need all 8 SATA 3 ports.

These are just my observations, I'm by no means an expert :)

13 hours ago, TinkerToyTech said:

on my Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 when I put a NVME Samsung 950 pro on that motherboard I lost half my SATA ports, YMMV

I'm running 8TB WD REDs in my Fractal Node 804 no problem

My two Cents worth

@TinkerToyTech

Looking at the manual for your board (http://download.gigabyte.eu/FileList/Manual/mb_manual_ga-z170x-ud5_e.pdf page 30) it looks like one of the M.2 slots (M2D_32G) disables certain SATA ports in certain configs. Using the other slot (M2H_32G) doesn't disable any of the SATA ports (although it looks like it disables one of them if you use a SATA SSD in it) however using this M.2 slot will disable the bottom PCIe x16 slot (PCIEX4), this is mentioned at the bottom of page 10.

12 hours ago, Mattyfaz said:

Hmm this is definitely a concern of mine, I had a look around on the Asus site and could not see it mention anywhere that the SATA 3 ports get disabled if you use NVME m.2 drives. I might have to contact Asus to find out, I need all 8 SATA 3 ports.

The manual for your intended mobo (http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/PRIME_X370-PRO/E12344_PRIME_X370-PRO_web_only_20170712.pdf?_ga=2.123104200.256215769.1503493061-627808063.1501325058) doesn't specify a similar limitation, but it wont hurt to check with support to be sure.

Don't forget about the option of using a PCIe SATA card to give you more ports to work with if needed. Although it's easier to have enough ports on the mobo, there's always this option if you want to consider other boards.