[SOLVED] W10: You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access

Hi,

I used to be able to access the \\TOWER smb shares from my w10 vm (16273 build) but it doesn't work anymore.

I've tried to put shares on 'secure' but the same error appears. 

I've tried various solutions such as https://serverfault.com/questions/720332/cannot-connect-to-linux-samba-share-from-windows-10 and http://getadmx.com/?Category=Windows_10_2016&Policy=Microsoft.Policies.LanmanWorkstation%3A%3APol_EnableInsecureGuestLogons to no avail.

Any ideas ?

Thanks,

M.

Untitled.png

adwd.png

adawdawdaw.png

Edited by mathieuNls
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, publicENEMY said:

This is helpful. Put it in wiki.

If this proves to be the solution to the OP's problem, could you add a post to this thread:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/53172-windows-issues-with-unraid/

And include links to this thread and to the entry in the WIKI.  I have a feeling this will be the first of many posts about this type of problem as MS tightens overall security on Win10. 

Indeed, you need to enable guest access. But, if you cannot or do not want, with Windows 10, you need to have the same username and password created on unraid. That shouldn't be a problem if you are using a local account, but given how Microsoft has been forcefully pushing their Microsoft accounts, if you made the mistake of going with a Microsoft account for login in to Windows, you can also simply create on Unraid a user with your MS email and password. That works too.

for those who have enabled guest access, the very first time you will try to access Unraid shares after that, enter ".\Guest" as username and leave the password field blank. Check the "Remember credentials" option if wanted.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2020 at 9:07 AM, ScytheNoire said:

Had to perform registry edit as show in previous link to once again make active and restore connectivity.

Regedit Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

SHOW LESS

This needs to be pinned. Save my butt. Same issue. Upgraded today to 2004 and the registry did not match the group policy.

Thank you!

• JorgeB changed the title to [SOLVED] W10: You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access
On 9/26/2019 at 4:39 AM, fnfsms said:

You can follow this video link

On 6/11/2020 at 9:07 AM, ScytheNoire said:

Just wanted to add that Windows 10 Update Version 2004 broke access for both computers I applied the update to.

While the GPO showed Lanman Workstation allowing insecure guest logons, it wasn't working.

When investigating the Registry, it showed a value of 0, so it was not active, and the GPO was not being applied.

Had to perform registry edit as show in previous link to once again make active and restore connectivity.

Regedit Path: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters

SHOW LESS

Double-click AllowInsecureGuestAuth and change "Value data" from 0 to 1

This worked for me after updating Windows 10 Education to 2004, thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wow!! After months of head scratching why I couldnt access the shares on a new Win 10 laptop from my Win 10 PC (but I could the other way round), this was the reason!!  It was enabled in the GPO on my PC but yes, the reg key above was 0!  As soon as I changed it to 1, it worked a treat!! Thank you so much!

Jimbo

• 6 months later...

Thank you very much. It has been driving me nuts for many days. After 20h2 windows update.

Can't believe registry was not changing when setting changed through local policy editor.

All my network now working again wow! No thanks to microflopt. Thanks again Clive

Edited by Clivoss
Added detail about my windows version.

I don't believe that the two are logically connected together (setting one changes the other to conform). If you notice they have two different names for the parameter being set.  Ideally, only one of these parameters exists on a system but if they are both there, they do interact.  Not sure which one might have precedence.  Safest bet to check to make sure both (if both exist) are set to a 1.