request a docker for sshd

As I move away from crashplan and move to duplicati I would like to have a docker that just runs sshd.  This allows me to limit the exposure of the entire unRaid server to just one partition.

I have it all working with the system sshd using the helpful ssh config plugin, but don't like that the ftp user has access to more stuff than they need.  I guess I'm just paranoid, but even requiring certs to log in, I don't like having an external port into my entire server.

I'm up for trying to create it myself, but I've not found a how to guide.  I see many guides on how to setup and use dockers, and I'm sure I've seen something over the years on how to create one, but my search kung-foo is weak.

thanks

david

This seems like a nice tiny base container with what you may be looking for.   https://github.com/panubo/docker-sshd It's not using similar layers that some other unraid specific containers would use, but its Alpine, so it is tiny. I don't run this one, but do run some other Apline based images on my server with no issue

I faced the same issue as you, and thought about going down this route, and ended up just installing NextCloud.  This gave me the ability to host a Dropbox like service for myself and family. I then had each user create a folder in their NextCloud instance called Backup which they don't sync back to their machine.  Then I use Duplicati clients and the WebDAV protocol to send the data to that Backup directory.  I don't know the performance impacts of using WebDAV vs sshd (my guess is the simplicity of sshd may make it faster) but a simplified web interface for administering users has been nice, and my parents have already been taking advantage of some of the Dropbox like features

That does look like a nice docker, it even supports users.

I tried using Owncloud, but get errors with Duplicati and I figured that sshd is the lightest weight way to get it working.

thanks

david

UPDATE:  Got it working, now I have only a single volume mounted for this sshd.  thanks again for the pointer.

Edited by lovingHDTV