Unformatted disk after data rebuild

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It only seems to when you have the array stopped, that I could figure out anyway. In the Disk Management tab, unassigned disks will have a mount button. unMenu does have a file browser tab for the mounted disks where I think it would display but also just browsable normally I guess once mounted. I'm sure I could console command it too with some Google. I think I still have an Ext3 reader on my Windows 7 box and a USB Sata adapter I was using so many years ago. I also have 2 drives with identical serial numbers, but one is n and m. I would bet I mixed those up along the way. Going to fix with a sharpie.

I just stop maintenance mode and start up normal now right?

Edited by dogfluffy

This was kind of interesting. I was first starting with the lost+found, then wanted to see what this chromebook could do, since it's already my 1st laziest option. Found @ Play store CX File Explorer and eventually connected to the lost+found and browsed around. My top dir is 2_4 and filled with data in the app. On my windows 7 machine I couldn't view 2_4. I also for fun downloaded Midnight Commander for windows, although I'm sure you mean to install it on my Unraid machine or just another linux machine? At any rate the MC in windows couldn't open 2_4 either. It was just dumb luck I knew there was actually data there. The file copy speed is awful due to wireless, but I'm sure I can rig something up to clean up this folder structure...possibly even in a future project. I kinda wanted to play with a Pi or I could easily install linux real fast on some old hardware with gigabit ethernet ports already. I'm assuming native linux file systems are why it succeeds?

3 minutes ago, dogfluffy said:

I also for fun downloaded Midnight Commander for windows, although I'm sure you mean to install it on my Unraid machine or just another linux machine?

I didn't mean for you to install it anywhere. It has been built-in to Unraid as long as I have been using it (v4.7).

5 minutes ago, dogfluffy said:

I'm assuming native linux file systems are why it succeeds?

Filesystems aren't presented on the network, it's all just folders and files. Remember what I said about filesystems? It's all about the metadata, and the metadata is all about how to interpret all those bits on a disk as files and folders. There is no reason for other computers to even know what filesystem is used.

The files and folders in lost+found are just files and folders. Whether or not any particular application can read those files and present them to you in any meaningful way is all about the specific application you are trying to open the file with. Because files are just a bunch of bits, and the software (the application) is what gives those bits meaning.

It would be necessary to run the New Permissions utility agains the lost+found folder if you want to access it over the network.    By default the contents will have been set to only be accessible by root.    Running Midnight Commander (mc) on the Unraid machine will have been able to access it as mc runs as root.

1 hour ago, dogfluffy said:

I'm still on 5.05 version, but it looks like the New Permissions utility is global and not able to run it against a single folder. Would this be a good time to upgrade to 6?

You can run it from the command line using a command of the form:

newperms path_to_check

this will run agains the path_to_check location and all its contents.  If no parameter is supplied to the ‘newperms’ command then it runs against all disks.

in v6 you can do a similar thing via the GUI.

• 2 weeks later...