**VIDEO GUIDE** How to setup a virtual VPN router to route any device through a vpn

@SpaceInvaderOne hope all is well! Any chance you could update the video the simpler way you mentioned?

Or anyone know if this could be easier to set up with a windows VM? 

I can have my vpn app running on a windows VM, I just don't know how to set everything up to actually turn it into a virtual router

The issue that I'm having is my VPN provider changed servers, and now I don't remember any more how I set this up and have to relearn everything as it has been months and I don't know how to copy a configuration file easily into the ubuntu VM from my computer. Any advice?

Edited by maxse
  • 2 months later...

@SpaceInvaderOne Hope you are safe and well at the moment.

As usual, thanks for all your work and great tuts... but I have been trying to set up a Virtual VPN router following this tut, but am failing at the last hurdle. I believe that PIA have changed their systems and killed being able to connect Binhex Privoxy - which in turn has killed Sonarr/Radarr... hence deciding to try and set up a VPN router VM to use. Anyway, every time I try to test the connection I get a " TLS Error: TLS key negotiation failed to occur within 60 seconds (check your network connectivity)" message. I have checked that the VM has access to the internet 🙂 - I tried using a different endpoint, but get the same error. I am using Ubuntu 16.04, so I could follow your instructions. But having spent two days on this I was wondering if anyone could give me any pointers... or perhaps theres a newer tut for 18.04 or 20.04 which I have missed?

Any help really appreciated...

image.thumb.png.3884700932891175d8be094ddb2a66bc.png

Edited by SliMat

I have just done another test using a completely unedited .ovpn file...

sudo openvpn --config "UK London.ovpn"

And get an error - "Options error: Unrecognized option or missing parameter(s) in UK London.ovpn:15: compress (2.3.10)"

I realise that in the .conf file you created from the PIA supplied .ovpn file it has an option "compress" which in your modified file you change to "comp-lzo"... but it certainly looks like there is an incompatibility between the currently supplied .ovpn files from PIA and OpenVPN 😞

• 4 months later...

Hi folks,

Everything has been working flawlessly! Thank you @SpaceInvaderOne!

Do you folks know if it is possible to get this running on a raspberry pi instead? I already have an rpi running a home vpn, and pi-hole, it would be great if I could also offload this to the rpi, but I believe it is not ubuntu... Will the same commands and instructions still work on the rpi? Any suggestions?

• 2 weeks later...

If this isn't getting attention anymore is there a better way?  I am not getting anything at the early step of setting the static ip using either /etc/network/interfaces or the updated one in the comments /etc/netplan/50-cloud-init.yaml.  This happens on the latest version of Ubuntu Server as well as the 18.04 version.  All I get is a blank screen where I can type whatever I want and save it I guess, but nothing pre-populated like the output in the video

Obviously very new to ubuntu, so all I can really do is follow paint by number instructions. Where am I going wrong?

• 7 months later...
On 3/21/2021 at 10:49 PM, maxse said:

Hi folks,

Everything has been working flawlessly! Thank you @SpaceInvaderOne!

Do you folks know if it is possible to get this running on a raspberry pi instead? I already have an rpi running a home vpn, and pi-hole, it would be great if I could also offload this to the rpi, but I believe it is not ubuntu... Will the same commands and instructions still work on the rpi? Any suggestions?

Can you share your settings using Windows VM?

• 7 months later...

Heute probiert mit ubuntu server 22.04, irgendwie hat es nicht geklappt. Sbet hsbe bios on vm nicht suf ses gewechset, sondetn omv 

Habe so gemacht wie in video  habe mehrmals nachricht bekommen dass rs in VM nicht funktioniert. Vlt wegen bios? 

Und noch was.: in ubuntu 22.04 openvpn hat Dateien server und Client. Ich habe alles in client Datei ungezipt.

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2020 at 3:23 AM, maxse said:

@SpaceInvaderOne hope all is well! Any chance you could update the video the simpler way you mentioned?

Or anyone know if this could be easier to set up with a windows VM? 

I can have my vpn app running on a windows VM, I just don't know how to set everything up to actually turn it into a virtual router

The issue that I'm having is my VPN provider changed servers, and now I don't remember any more how I set this up and have to relearn everything as it has been months and I don't know how to copy a configuration file easily into the ubuntu VM from my computer. Any advice?

I'm trying to setup Windows virtual router too. Can you share your step-by-step guide?

Many thanks!