Weird GPU issues (passthrough to Win 10 VM etc)

AcidRaZor

Hi,

So I got 4 GPU's installed that I wanted to pass through to 1 Windows 10 VM to play around with. Unraid recognized all 4, I was glad, all 4 passed through, except Windows reported that the 4th card could not be enabled due to lack of system resources (I'm assuming PCIe lanes all used up)

There was a suggestion to change the BIOS setting to "Gen 1", which I did. When booting up again, Unraid now only showed 2 out of the 4 cards (4 out of 4 before the change).... but wait... it's showing me that I can pass through my integrated graphics? HUH????

Since 3 cards worked fine, I figured I'd disable sound card/parallel ports/serial ports and bring back the settings to what it was (after trying Gen 2 and then Gen 3). I disabled those 3 things in the hope that it would free up some resources and allow me to use the 4th card in Windows 10 VM as well... but even having my settings back to the way it was (except for disabling the aforementioned), unraid still showed only 3 out of 4 GPU's (previously 4 out of 4) AND showing my onboard graphics card as an option to pass it through.

WTF? Can anyone explain why all of a sudden Unraid will allow me to bypass my onboard graphics? and not show my 4th GPU anymore? 

I'm very confused. Because it never worked this way before and I always had to use my onboard graphics if I wanted to see what unraid was doing etc.

MSI H97 Gaming 3. I upgraded the BIOS just now, which essentially reset everything (which was annoying because I had to plug out the GPU's just to force it to use IGD to set the boot order again) and everything is up and running again with the same strange behavior where 3 out of the 4 is picked up, and my IGD is given as an option to pass through to the VM... very weird.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm using the HDMI port on the motherboard to use the IGD, the last time I connected to the board (was a full 2 years ago almost), I used the normal VGA. But since then I got a new monitor with only HDMI. Could this have triggered the weird behavior I wonder