lionceau

[6.3.5] UPS plugin setting + Cyberpower UPS causes uncontrolled poweroff

8 posts in this topic Last Reply

Description: 

UPS plugin schedules 60 minute (one hour) poweroff after graceful shutdown/halt

How to reproduce: 

execute a graceful UPS shutdown with the "Turn off UPS after shutdown" setting in unRAID enabled and the Cyberpower CP900EPFCLCD connected via USB

Expected results: 

UPS shuts down seconds after computer halts gracefully, enabling the computer to power back on automatically after mains power is restored

Actual results: 

UPS continues running and schedules a hard poweroff 60 minutes (one hour) after computer halts, even if the server is running with mounted filesystems at that point. This schedule also persists through resuming mains-power and — from what I can tell — cannot be canceled with any of the three buttons. A 59 min countdown is displayed on the UPS' LCD screen which automatically turns off after 5 seconds of inactivity. 

Other information: 

I have a new Cyberpower CP900EPFCLCD which is detected correctly by unRAID.

There's one bug though, the "Power Off UPS" option in the unRAID UPS settings panel schedules a hard power-off n one hour (60 minutes) instead of the presumably intended 60 seconds after halting the computer. This schedule persists through mains-resume/power on and will be executed no matter what.

You can probably guess the rest and how I found out about this bug. :(

Can anybody reproduce this?

One explanation would be that APC uses seconds and Cyberpower uses minutes as the default unit. I know the feature worked fine with my old APC and shut the UPS down after a minute.

Edited by lionceau
version in title; formatting; exact name of option

Unfortunately I don't see an option to change anything regarding the "Turn off UPS after shutdown" option. (I'm no longer in the office and detached the UPS for now)

Screen Shot 2017-09-02 at 19.38.45.png

Doesn't the UPS have a setting for that time so you can adjust it?  I don't think unRAID has any control over the delay to shut off the UPS.  It just tells the UPS to turn off after a power failure.

The UPS itself doesn't have an option to change this on its LCD, but perhaps there's a way to change this with the Windows software. I've never installed that software (and didn't plan to) but will try it via a VM.

As I mentioned the UPS is no longer attached and I'm at the office right now, so I can't debug it any further right now.

based on the command list here I do suspect that it's a linux daemon passing the command for the delayed shutdown via USB , perhaps with load.off.delay :

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/cyber-power-systems-cp850pfclcd-working.18673/

Maybe something in the UPS firmware changed and it now expects minutes instead of seconds? Of course I could be wrong and it really is some EEPROM setting stored in the UPS, but then it'd be helpful if the "Turn off UPS after shutdown" setting came with a warning for these cases.

Edited by lionceau

Ok, I'm at the UPS now and did some research. You're right in that unRAID doesn't control the delay. This "Turn off UPS after shutdown" functionality doesn't work with Cyberpower UPS and should be set to "NO" or you will experience behaviour such as the scheduled hard shutdowns I experienced.

There's also no way to change the default 1 hour shutdown delay/schedule, not even in the Windows software or unRAID's apctest. APC units default to 90 seconds. I'm going to do some more research on this considering the poster in the freeNAS forum seems to be able to control this via USB.

There's a longer thread here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13411.0

On 9/2/2017 at 8:19 PM, lionceau said:

Ok, I'm at the UPS now and did some research. You're right in that unRAID doesn't control the delay. This "Turn off UPS after shutdown" functionality doesn't work with Cyberpower UPS and should be set to "NO" or you will experience behaviour such as the scheduled hard shutdowns I experienced.

There's also no way to change the default 1 hour shutdown delay/schedule, not even in the Windows software or unRAID's apctest. APC units default to 90 seconds. I'm going to do some more research on this considering the poster in the freeNAS forum seems to be able to control this via USB.

There's a longer thread here:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=13411.0

Did you ever do more research into this? I am just now discovering this issue myself :P 

I also confirm this issue!! i am using cheap CyberPower ex850e, unraid determined it as Cyber Power System, Inc. CP1500 AVR UPS