A proper login page

Guest zin105

On 7/12/2018 at 7:29 PM, MrMwh said:

I'm all for something like this, if you can makes changes to the login page to make it your own. Changeable background and logo would probably be the only thing needed. I made a quick example of how it could look.

unraid login.png

I'm curious why this would be a requirement?  I get it as a nice to have, but genuinely curious what the use case is that would require it.

On 10/23/2018 at 9:54 PM, bionicrocky said:

I'm curious why this would be a requirement?  I get it as a nice to have, but genuinely curious what the use case is that would require it.

Well the changeable stuff would probably be if someone set this up at a place of work and wanted to brand it or something. The proper login page is because things like chrome do not save just the auth box but fire fox does. I also use unraid on my phone all the time and without a proper login page it constantly prompts for a login at times and makes it where you just have to keep hitting cancel until it stops or you can't use the browser anymore.

40 minutes ago, Jerky_san said:

chrome do not save just the auth box but fire fox does

I've got no problems with Chrome doing that.  And without a PW manager. 

41 minutes ago, Jerky_san said:

use unraid on my phone all the time and without a proper login page it constantly prompts for a login

My phone never prompts me for a password (using Chrome)

Of course, I am logged into Chrome on both the phone and desktop.

So from my point of view, I could also never understand why this req needed to be a thing..

If you are using a password manager (like LastPass and others that are NOT a browser build-in), you will not have the fields filled nor the Password Manager even recognize the existence of the login box.  You are forced to cut-and-paste to fill the  required fields.  This started to become an issue sometime ago apparently as a result of a security issue (my guess would be a popup based phishing attack) and the really secure Password Managers switched to require a truly secure connection.   Most Websites have a proper login app that meets the security requirement.  However, many of the hardware devices that are LAN based (printers, routers, etc.)  have not done so.  I have two or three of those as well as Unraid!  

I would like to tighten up my password by increasing its complexity and have separate password for both my servers but I really don't want the issue of having to write down those PW's or do a cut-and-paste every time a login is required. 

Just now, Frank1940 said:

I would like to tighten up my password by increasing its complexity and have separate password for both my servers but I really don't want the issue of having to write down those PW's or do a cut-and-paste every time a login is required. 

Totally agree ... working on it!

3 hours ago, Jerky_san said:

Well the changeable stuff would probably be if someone set this up at a place of work and wanted to brand it or something. The proper login page is because things like chrome do not save just the auth box but fire fox does. I also use unraid on my phone all the time and without a proper login page it constantly prompts for a login at times and makes it where you just have to keep hitting cancel until it stops or you can't use the browser anymore.

The Chrome piece I totally get.  Was just curious why the branding would be so important.  Probably good for Ts and Cs of use too, I guess.  I don't see a lot of company branded login pages in enterprise gear.  Would be fun to have though.

On 10/25/2018 at 10:13 AM, Squid said:

My phone never prompts me for a password (using Chrome)

Of course, I am logged into Chrome on both the phone and desktop.

So from my point of view, I could also never understand why this req needed to be a thing..

How did you get chrome to do that? It never offers to save the password for me.

On 10/25/2018 at 8:13 AM, Squid said:

Chrome without a password manager isn't the problem.  It is Chrome with a password manager (LastPass) that isn't able to work with basic auth.

Custom branding on the login page is not important (to me, anyway)

• Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/28/2017 at 11:05 AM, matthope said:

Well, root can access eveything and modify everything and that's ok. At the moment, I have 3 VM working on my server (mac, linux & windows) and they are used by more than one user. We are programmers and sometimes we crash the OS that need to rebooted from the webGUI. I would like to give access to only VM management to certains users instead of giving them root access. This could be extended to about every tab in the webGUI.

+1 . YES PLEASE!!!

On 9/4/2017 at 1:12 PM, 1812 said:

I am neither for this, nor against this.

But if it is done, then I want to be able to customize it and put whatever image on it I want. A SUPER COOL IMAGE!

+1 . custom = cool

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

I really would like a proper login page. I started using UnRaid a few months ago and was really suprised that there isn't one. I know it's a petty thing, but as far as first impressions go, it made UnRaid look really outdated to me - which is not true, UnRaid is awesome. But I'm sharing the hassle that others mentioned regarding password managers. The only other appliance I have that uses this kind of login is my Netgear Orbi, and it irks me.

Just to add to the list of inconveniences: if I open a browser which has multiple tabs to open on startup, these kinds of logins always pop to the foreground and need to be dealt with.

9 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

I am another one who was hoping this feature would make it into 6.7.

Who says is won't? Limetech has proven that they are not tied to the traditional definition of release candidate, and may very well add features into the rc cycle. Don't know that they will or won't, just pointing out that around here rc's aren't feature frozen like normal software companies.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/18/2018 at 6:03 PM, limetech said:

FYI: the keypass plugin for FireFox also works with Basic auth.  That said, we are working on different authentication method because that's necessary for proper Safari websocket support.

Another Major release of Unraid (6.7.0) and still no proper login method that will work with the password managers.  It seems to be on the inclusion schedule but never seems to make it into the active development cycle.   Any idea in which future release we will finally see it? 

• Like 1
On 8/31/2018 at 3:12 PM, OmgImAlexis said:

Sorry for not replying before but this is being worked on.

I'm curious to hear an update on this. Perhaps there's a entertaining story to be told from behind the scenes where our heroes @OmgImAlexis & @limetech ventured forward 🏇 to enhance this feature but ran into some unforeseen challenges along the way.... 🐙🤺

• Like 1