A few Questions Regarding VPN and unRAID

mcjfauser

Hey,

I'm trying to do all the research I can before I complete my build and install unRAID, so I know what I'm doing beforehand. Warning: this is my first time using unRAID and the various server functions. Also, my first time messing around with VPNs.

1. I want to run Plex, Sonarr, Radarr, Headphones, Omni and SABnzbd. How would I go about running the downloading components (Usenet and Torrents) behind a VPN (Sonarr, Radarr, Headphones, Omni and SABnzbd)? Router level or set up on unRAID somehow? Let's assume I have a router that can use DD-WRT.
  2. I want to be able to connect to the server externally when away from home.
  3. Would this VPN setup interfere with external users being able to send requests through Omni?

Thanks in advance!

You'll need to distinguish between inbound and outbound VPN.  Inbound VPN (I am remote and want to access my server) is commonly achieved via router based VPN or the OpenVPN Docker.  Outbound VPN (I want my downloader to use a VPN) is commonly achieved by using VPN enabled Dockers (see Binhex's Dockers in Community Applications).  There are other solutions, but that's a starting point.

22 minutes ago, tdallen said:

You'll need to distinguish between inbound and outbound VPN.  Inbound VPN (I am remote and want to access my server) is commonly achieved via router based VPN or the OpenVPN Docker.  Outbound VPN (I want my downloader to use a VPN) is commonly achieved by using VPN enabled Dockers (see Binhex's Dockers in Community Applications).  There are other solutions, but that's a starting point.

Legend, thanks for that.

Archived