[6.3.5] Can I still use array while preclear is running?

Can I perform other tasks on an array such as running Mover or building Parity while new disks are going through the preclear script?

The situation is that my array healthy but is currently stopped. I have three out of four new 8Tb disks coming to the end of their preclear (using the preclear plugin) but I now have even more disks that will need to be precleared (shortly to be followed by the warranty replacement for the one failed disk).

I would like to remove some small but empty drives, incorporate the first three successfully cleared disks into the array,  start the array and rebuild parity but also want to have the next batch of disks running through the preclear. Can I do this all at the same time?

While you can certainly use your array and preclear disks while parity is being built I prefer that the server be untouched (no shares available and nothing else running) while I'm building parity.  Once that is done I feel OK in hammering the server AFTER the data is fully protected.  I just start the parity build and forget I even have a server for the duration of the build.

1 hour ago, BobPhoenix said:

While you can certainly use your array and preclear disks while parity is being built I prefer that the server be untouched (no shares available and nothing else running) while I'm building parity.  Once that is done I feel OK in hammering the server AFTER the data is fully protected.  I just start the parity build and forget I even have a server for the duration of the build.

I used to feel this way, but recently did a parity build while a Docker was running and it was doing some background DLs. And it did fine. But I do prefer to keep the array pretty quiet while doing a parity build.

But I will sometimes preclear in parallel. The preclearing disks are totally independent of the I/O I do on the array. Never had a problem.

It is just really just the preclear that I was needing to know about. I agree that the first parity build is the critical one and that is running now while I wait for the warranty replacement drive to arrive.

Once that parity  is completed at least I know I can let the array start and I can do the preclear of the drives I need. Thanks.