turbo/reconstruct write and 'sync' commands

ogi

I'm noticing my sync commands are running what feels like indefinitely on occasion since I enabled turbo write.  For example, when I have attempted to stop an array, I've had 'syncing filesystem' last for an hour (before I finally verified the disks were unmounted and powered off the system manually).  Currently, I'm attempting to restart a Plex Docker container, and it's stuck on [s6-finish] syncing disks.

It should be noted, that I'm also currently attempting to shrink my array with the use of clear an array drive script by following the procedure in shrink array here:

https://wiki.lime-technology.com/Shrink_array

Anyway I'm puzzled as to how I'm supposed to handle these hangs, I can't seem to kill the s6-sync commands through the console via the kill command.

Suggestions would be appreciated.

a sync basically ensures that any information in ram waiting to be flushed to the drives gets done.  Anything that's continually writing continually (eg: Preclears and what you're trying to do) will impact a sync.

As to how to handle these situations, not quite sure beyond not trying to stop the array when you're doing a preclear or the shrink array.

Oh, definitely won't be stopping the array during a preclear or shrink!  In the first example, the clear disk script finished, then I attempted to stop the array (per the instructions) and it hung on sync filesystem for an hour (before I power cycled, ..had already made sure the drives were unmounted).

This time around, I'm just trying to stop a docker container (clear disk script is still running), I'll wait until the script finishes before I try anything more drastic (umounting disks/powercycling/etc).