Asking dumb question now instead of much dumber questions later (parity drive replacement+upgrade)

skyking376

Unraid V 6.3.1

6 discs total all 2TB:

1 Parity = 2TB

5 Data  = 10TB

Had errors on parity disc and confirmed from forum post from my diagnostics file. Decided to replace/upgrade parity disc from 2TB to 4TB. I have not started preclear (which I plan to do). 

I just want to make sure I understand the order of how to complete this process.

1) stop array

2) power down the unit

3) Run preclear on new 4TB parity replacement

4) After preclear is complete then replace failed parity disc with new bigger drive (4TB instead of 2TB)

5) power up unit

6) assign new 4TB disc to parity

7) start array

Will it rebuild automatically? or do I have to check "are you sure you want to do this" button?

Like title of my post says I much prefer looking like an idiot now instead of later doing things wrong.

Thank you

4 hours ago, skyking376 said:

Unraid V 6.3.1

6 discs total all 2TB:

1 Parity = 2TB

5 Data  = 10TB

Had errors on parity disc and confirmed from forum post from my diagnostics file. Decided to replace/upgrade parity disc from 2TB to 4TB. I have not started preclear (which I plan to do). 

I just want to make sure I understand the order of how to complete this process.

1) stop array

2) power down the unit

3) Run preclear on new 4TB parity replacement

4) After preclear is complete then replace failed parity disc with new bigger drive (4TB instead of 2TB)

5) power up unit

6) assign new 4TB disc to parity

7) start array

Will it rebuild automatically? or do I have to check "are you sure you want to do this" button?

Like title of my post says I much prefer looking like an idiot now instead of later doing things wrong.

Thank you

I think your steps at a high level are correct. The pedantic me has the steps as follows

1. Stop array

2. Power down unit

3. Replace 2TB drive with new 4TB drive

4. Power on unit - it will not automatic start as it will detect a change in drives

5. Preclear the new 4TB drive

6. When the preclear completes, assign the 4TB drive as the new parity drive

7. Start the array - which should start a rebuild

Hope that's helpful