New Permissions utility ran - EMBY broke

knoorda

I was having issues deleting items so I ran the New Permissions utility. The Error I got said I didn't have permission.   Currently running 6.3.5.     I was able to remove the old data that was giving me problems but now EMBY is broke.  It will power on, I can browse to the interface on both a PC and tablet but when I click on a movie to play it just spins and no content is ever provided.  

Any ideas?  

Is there a way to un-run the permissions utility?

Help???

21 hours ago, BRiT said:

This wont help you now, but for future reference to everyone else ... This is why you should have used CommunityApplication's Docker-safe New Permissions instead.

How exactly do you access this?  I have CA installed but the only thing I see for new permissions is in tools-->UnRAID OS-->New Permissions

EDIT:  Did you mean the "Fix Common Problems" CA Plugin and the Extended Test?

Edited by betaman
2 hours ago, betaman said:

How exactly do you access this?  I have CA installed but the only thing I see for new permissions is in tools-->UnRAID OS-->New Permissions

EDIT:  Did you mean the "Fix Common Problems" CA Plugin and the Extended Test?

Tools > UnRAID OS > "Docker Safe New Perms".

It's somehow related to CA, not sure on which plugin provides it but it's associated with CA.

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/11/2017 at 6:36 PM, CHBMB said:

There's no way to un-run the utility,  to be honest, looking at permissions for Emby I'd be surprised if it did break it.

I'd actually take a look at the Emby logs if I were you.

So I was having an issue with my Emby app (for AFTV) as well as web playback.  I can't be 100% certain but I believe the root cause was the New Permissions utility changing the attributes of two files.  I ran the utility on my cache disk because one of my dockers assigned attributes that wouldn't allow me to copy the file from the cache to the server manually from a Windows VM.  Basically, I think it removed the executable attribute from ffmpeg and ffprobe (i.e. from -rwxrwxrwx to -rw-rw-rw-).  Once I did a chmod 777 ff* to these two files, Emby started working again.  What made the matter most confusing is I wasn't having any issue with Kodi playback using the Emby addon.  I presume this is because Kodi has its own playback engine and wasn't relying on the ffmpeg install from Emby but I could be wrong.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, betaman said:

So I was having an issue with my Emby app (for AFTV) as well as web playback.  I can't be 100% certain but I believe the root cause was the New Permissions utility changing the attributes of two files.  I ran the utility on my cache disk because one of my dockers assigned attributes that wouldn't allow me to copy the file from the cache to the server manually from a Windows VM.  Basically, I think it removed the executable attribute from ffmpeg and ffprobe (i.e. from -rwxrwxrwx to -rw-rw-rw-).  Once I did a chmod 777 ff* to these two files, Emby started working again.  What made the matter most confusing is I wasn't having any issue with Kodi playback using the Emby addon.  I presume this is because Kodi has its own playback engine and wasn't relying on the ffmpeg install from Emby but I could be wrong.

If you are using dockers then you should use the 'Docker Safe New Perms' version as it version leaves the appdata share alone.

6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you are using dockers then you should use the 'Docker Safe New Perms' version as it version leaves the appdata share alone.

Yeah, I got that now.  Problem is I didn't know about it beforehand.  Would be nice if there was a toggle in the built-in permissions script but I realize it was really meant for one-time use.