[Support] Clowrym's Docker Repository

clowrym

Hi all

Finally decided it was time for VPN and set up this wonderful docker. Everything is working flawlessly using PIA, except for some permissions weirdness. I'm not used to transmission taking control of all files and folders so forcefully.

As in, I can't even use my watch directory because of it.

Can anything be done to facilitate this? Medusa hasn't run yet, but I'm betting that stuff like unpacking will become problematic as well.

Edit:

I've fiddled about some more with UMASK mentioned on the previous page with no luck.

Here's what it's setting in the log for the docker:

Enforcing ownership on transmission config directories
Applying permissions to transmission config directories
Setting owner for transmission paths to 99:100
Setting permission for files (644) and directories (755)

Basically I want to be able to use my watch folder via SMB share and for stuff like Medusa to be able to move stuff around. Nothing too fancy.
I have it set up very neatly with a regular transmission container. Is there any reason that this particular instance has to play naughty with the permissions? Is it to do with privileged access mode? If I disable that, it won't run at all.

Edited by Froberg
On 1/18/2020 at 6:27 PM, Froberg said:

Hi all

Finally decided it was time for VPN and set up this wonderful docker. Everything is working flawlessly using PIA, except for some permissions weirdness. I'm not used to transmission taking control of all files and folders so forcefully.

As in, I can't even use my watch directory because of it.

Can anything be done to facilitate this? Medusa hasn't run yet, but I'm betting that stuff like unpacking will become problematic as well.

Edit:

I've fiddled about some more with UMASK mentioned on the previous page with no luck.

Here's what it's setting in the log for the docker:

Basically I want to be able to use my watch folder via SMB share and for stuff like Medusa to be able to move stuff around. Nothing too fancy.
I have it set up very neatly with a regular transmission container. Is there any reason that this particular instance has to play naughty with the permissions? Is it to do with privileged access mode? If I disable that, it won't run at all.

I have only created the template for this Docker, That being said, looking through my folders & permisisons etc. Mine are all set to nobody:users and I have no issues with Sonarr / radar managing all my files. I do have the watch directory, PUID etc. all specified in my Docker template.

image.png.eeab5923241acbb50dc9e624da062c6e.png

image.thumb.png.7f889c178f014a154dd057f09c9fbc54.png

you could also check your transmission settings:

image.png.edbd0c97680b300a9b2f45db1839893f.png

1 hour ago, clowrym said:

I have only created the template for this Docker, That being said, looking through my folders & permisisons etc. Mine are all set to nobody:users and I have no issues with Sonarr / radar managing all my files. I do have the watch directory, PUID etc. all specified in my Docker template.

you could also check your transmission settings:

image.png.edbd0c97680b300a9b2f45db1839893f.png

Hi man, thanks for responding.

Looking at the directory structures, I just realized that the data folder specified is the actual transmission application data. I'll move that now and check around for further settings. I was unaware that changes to settings.json would be persistent..

But it seems like the docker is setting the file permissions even before transmission is started, effectively making me unable to use the share from another workstation over SMB. If you look at the log while starting it up, you'll see the same behaviour I'm sure. Is it a byproduct of privileged access and thus not something that can be avoided?

I mean, it'll be a bit more to manage, but I figure I can work around it.. but it's been very insistent about not even loading anything I manually put in to the watch directory even after setting permissions manually too. It's a bit odd. Anyway, I'll test out some more on my end and see if I can learn something. Thanks again.

Okay, I did some cleanup and appdata folder is now moved to a cache drive instead. I've set the TRANSMISSION_UMASK setting at 000 and that does get replicated in the settings.json file. (Anything entered manually gets removed on restart..)

It still sets permissions to this when looking at the log during bootup;

Generating transmission settings.json from env variables
sed'ing True to true

umask value is 0 in settings.json - chaned from "2".

No change.

So what's setting the permissions? 🙂

10 hours ago, Froberg said:

Hi man, thanks for responding.

Looking at the directory structures, I just realized that the data folder specified is the actual transmission application data. I'll move that now and check around for further settings. I was unaware that changes to settings.json would be persistent..

But it seems like the docker is setting the file permissions even before transmission is started, effectively making me unable to use the share from another workstation over SMB. If you look at the log while starting it up, you'll see the same behaviour I'm sure. Is it a byproduct of privileged access and thus not something that can be avoided?

I mean, it'll be a bit more to manage, but I figure I can work around it.. but it's been very insistent about not even loading anything I manually put in to the watch directory even after setting permissions manually too. It's a bit odd. Anyway, I'll test out some more on my end and see if I can learn something. Thanks again.

CHanges to setting.json are not persistant, if you want them to be persistant you have to add them to your Docker template. using "TRANSMISSION_SETTING_TO_BE_PERSISTANT". theres some good information HERE on how / what to change.

10 hours ago, Froberg said:

Yes I figured as much, it doesn't change how the docker behaves when starting up though. It still sets restrictive permissions on the entire transmission directory. I haven't been able to figure out what is responsible for that.

you could try changing this:

#GLOBAL_APPLY_PERMISSIONS=true

looking through the usersetup.sh on git, this is where the permsissions are set:

echo "Enforcing ownership on transmission config directories"
    chown -R ${RUN_AS}:${RUN_AS} \
        /config \
        ${TRANSMISSION_HOME}

echo "Applying permissions to transmission config directories"
    chmod -R go=rX,u=rwX \
        /config \
        ${TRANSMISSION_HOME}

if [ "$GLOBAL_APPLY_PERMISSIONS" = true ] ; then
	echo "Setting owner for transmission paths to ${PUID}:${PGID}"
        chown -R ${RUN_AS}:${RUN_AS} \
            ${TRANSMISSION_DOWNLOAD_DIR} \
            ${TRANSMISSION_INCOMPLETE_DIR} \
            ${TRANSMISSION_WATCH_DIR}

echo "Setting permission for files (644) and directories (755)"
        chmod -R go=rX,u=rwX \
            ${TRANSMISSION_DOWNLOAD_DIR} \
            ${TRANSMISSION_INCOMPLETE_DIR} \
            ${TRANSMISSION_WATCH_DIR}
    fi

That did it.

Documentation for those that want it:

Permissions are now persistent. That's awesome.

Kind of want to suggest this become a part of the main image, but hey, at least there's an option to get it workin'.

Now to see if the watch directory will function. ;-)

Thanks man, made my life a whole lot easier.

billede.png

Edited by Froberg
1 hour ago, ajstaley33 said:

the normal java edition minecraft

Locations of the server files would be dependent on the folder mapping you have added to your docker, For me personally, My Server files are lcoations in /mnt/cache/appdata/minecraft/servers

image.png.33648b01247dbefb89ca4c320e198f6c.png

If you have mapped your docker different then myself, they would be located based on your mapping

image.thumb.png.4d2cc185f5a3d45614880c87340cc83d.png

14 minutes ago, clowrym said:

Locations of the server files would be dependent on the folder mapping you have added to your docker, For me personally, My Server files are lcoations in /mnt/cache/appdata/minecraft/servers

image.png.33648b01247dbefb89ca4c320e198f6c.png

If you have mapped your docker different then myself, they would be located based on your mapping

image.thumb.png.4d2cc185f5a3d45614880c87340cc83d.png

ok i got there but i cant seem to find the profile.js file to change the file so i can get to ftb profiles

16 hours ago, ajstaley33 said:

ok i got there but i cant seem to find the profile.js file to change the file so i can get to ftb profiles

for that you will have to go into the actual container (click on the mincraft docker and click console) from there you will find profiles.js at:

\usr\games\mincraft\

I could be wrong, but I dont believe changes here will survive a restart of the container though... 

• Haha 1
On 1/24/2020 at 11:20 AM, clowrym said:

for that you will have to go into the actual container (click on the mincraft docker and click console) from there you will find profiles.js at:

\usr\games\mincraft\

I could be wrong, but I dont believe changes here will survive a restart of the container though... 

thanks! so do i use the console in unraid?

4 minutes ago, clb92 said:

I updated the TransmissionVPN container today or yesterday, and suddenly a new public share T_media has appeared in Unraid, and it's been mapped to this TransmissionVPN container. What's going on with that?

Post your docker run command as explained at the first link in the Docker FAQ pinned near the top of the Docker Engine subforum. 

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Post your docker run command as explained at the first link in the Docker FAQ pinned near the top of the Docker Engine subforum. 

Sorry.

I just realized that it's because the template changed, so it added some new default path to the container when I clicked update. And apparently Unraid just automatically creates new shares if a new folder is created in /mnt/user it seems. No help needed anyway.

On 2/3/2020 at 6:21 PM, clb92 said:

I updated the TransmissionVPN container today or yesterday, and suddenly a new public share T_media has appeared in Unraid, and it's been mapped to this TransmissionVPN container. What's going on with that?

I barely touch my server in how tuned up it is. But this threw me off completely. I removed that setting as I had mine already set.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this is the right place or not but the "support" link for docker-transmission-openvpn brought me here.

I've noticed that Privado VPN has been added to github but it is not showing up as an option in the Docker Setup.

https://github.com/haugene/docker-transmission-openvpn/tree/master/openvpn/privado

Any assistance in getting this working would be great as the previous VPN service is going offline tomorrow and everyone is migrating to Privado.

I found this guide for custom VPNs but it didn't work : https://haugene.github.io/docker-transmission-openvpn/supported-providers/#using_a_custom_provider

Edited by phoenixdiigital