Using a private registry? Non-https / insecure or a azure registry with authentication?

Spacemolte

Hi Guys

I'd like to deploy a custom docker image to docker in unraid, but i don't know how to make unraid retrieve the image.

I have tried spinning up a docker registry in docker, by using the registry:2 image. But this doesn't work for unraid as it is not https, and thus needs to be marked as an insecure registry before docker on unraid will pull images from it.

I then tried to create a azure docker registry, this is https, but has credentials, so docker needs to login before it can retrieve images. I don't know where to input these credentials, and i tried ssh'ing into unraid, and doing a "docker login" which works fine, but when i try to make it pull the image in the unraid webUi afterwards, it still doesn't work.

How do i push my own images to unraid the easiest way?

I skimmed through the docker faq, but found nothing about authentication or private registries.

Thanks in advance.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just to update on this, I just tried to do exactly this on the latest version of unRAID and got it working.

First, ssh to the unRAID server as root.

Next, run "docker login your.repo.com" (I also logged in to the Docker Hub, just because).

Now run "cat ~/.docker/config.json", which should print out a bunch of JSON-formatted text. If it does, good, as this means it's now properly storing your Docker repository credentials for the root user.

Finally, all that's left is to deploy a container from the web-interface, remembering to add your private repository url to the beginning of the image path.

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2018 at 1:03 AM, Didstopia said:

Just to update on this, I just tried to do exactly this on the latest version of unRAID and got it working.

First, ssh to the unRAID server as root.

Next, run "docker login your.repo.com" (I also logged in to the Docker Hub, just because).

Now run "cat ~/.docker/config.json", which should print out a bunch of JSON-formatted text. If it does, good, as this means it's now properly storing your Docker repository credentials for the root user.

Finally, all that's left is to deploy a container from the web-interface, remembering to add your private repository url to the beginning of the image path.

Hi, I'm just trying to follow your instructions but I'm a bit confused. Did you abandon the Azure container registry? Or are your instructions above using that?

On 11/13/2019 at 7:15 AM, paulbram said:

Hi, I'm just trying to follow your instructions but I'm a bit confused. Did you abandon the Azure container registry? Or are your instructions above using that?

Sorry, should've mentioned it doesn't matter which Docker registry you're using. Just replace "your.repo.com" with your registry's URL, and the Docker CLI will attempt to log in to it.

If you don't specify any registry, it'll default to logging in to Docker Hub (hub.docker.com).

You can also login to multiple registries.