Config files not being installed on cache drive.

Two Wire

Hello, I'm trying to install some dockers, and the config files are not installing where  I want them to.  I'm trying to install them on the cache drive, but they are being installed on other drives of the array instead . I think this might be due the settings I've chosen for the cache drive or other drives of the array . 

I'm trying to use the cache drive for config files only.     Can someone give me advice on how to prevent this from happening?        

Thanks for the reply

Attached are pics of the cache, docker user share, and television user share` settings. The television settings are typical of the other user share settings.

Below are the config directions of the two docker templates I have been trying to install.

1. Minidlna

Directions:

Configuration
/config This is where minidlna will store it's configuration file, database and logs.

What I did
 /mnt/Cache/Docker/appdata/binhex-minidlna    
Container Path: /config

2. Subsonic

Directions:
/subsonic : set this path to where you wish Subsonic to store it's configuration.

What I did

/mnt/cache/Docker/appdata/subsonic/
Container Path: /subsonic

Both dockers work but I would like to have the config files located on the cache disk.

cache settings.jpg

docker share settkngs.jpg

television settings.jpg

I recommend that you not have a user share named Cache. It can only lead to confusion, and will literally confuse Windows if you ever try to look at the user shares and the disk shares.

And, it may have already confused you. The correct path to a user share named Cache is /mnt/user/Cache. And the correct path to the cache disk is /mnt/cache.

There is no path /mnt/Cache. Perhaps it is just a typo in your post, but if you are actually specifying /mnt/Cache/Docker instead of /mnt/cache/Docker, then your minidlna config is in RAM and will not persist.

Thanks, Trurl for the reply. I will follow your advice, and if I understand it correctly, all I have to do is to change the lettering of the Cache drive to all lower case letters. That will make it a disk share rather than a user share? I was not aware of this requirement and it probably explains why some things never worked for me in the past.

After making this change, then the docker config files should look like this?

Minidlna - /mnt/cache/Docker/app data/binex-Minidlna

Subsonic - /mnt/cache/Docker/appdata/subsonic

Question: should the folder named Docker also be in lower case letters 
Edited by Two Wire
32 minutes ago, Two Wire said:

Thanks, Trurl for the reply. I will follow your advice, and if I understand it correctly, all I have to do is to change the lettering of the Cache drive to all lower case letters. That will make it a disk share rather than a user share? I was not aware of this requirement and it probably explains why some things never worked for me in the past.

After making this change, then the docker config files should look like this?

Minidlna - /mnt/cache/Docker/app data/binex-Minidlna

Subsonic - /mnt/cache/Docker/appdata/subsonic

Question: should the folder named Docker also be in lower case letters 

This is a little long, but I suggest you study it and let me know if you need further clarification.

Linux is case sensitive, so you must always be careful with case. It is not a question of using all lower case letters, it is simply a question of being consistent. Cache is not the same as cache, and Docker is not the same as docker.

Probably you accidentally created a user share named Cache. User shares are just the combined top level folders of cache and array disks. You will get a user share if a top level folder exists, even if you don't explicitly create that user share in the webUI.

Your screenshot seems to indicate that you do indeed have a user share named Cache, so at some point you must have specified /mnt/user/Cache or something like that. Or maybe you did create a user share named Cache in the webUI. So you now have a top level folder on cache and/or 1 or more array disks named Cache.

You also mentioned a path that started /mnt/Cache. That is not the same as the cache disk, which is at /mnt/cache. It is also not the user share named Cache, which is at /mnt/user/Cache. When you specify /mnt/Cache, that path isn't actually located on any disk. Instead, it is in RAM, since everything that is not on flash or a disk is in RAM. Anything at /mnt/Cache will actually disappear when you reboot.

Before you do anything else to clean this up, you need to fix your dockers so they are specifying the correct paths. Otherwise, you will just get the same mess again.

Then, you will need to delete all the files and folders in the Cache user share before you can delete that user share in the webUI.

And here is where it gets tricky. If you have your cache disk shared, and you also have a user share named Cache, Windows won't be able to tell them apart, and will just pick one to show you. So if you are trying to use Windows to delete the files/folders in the user share named Cache, it is possible that you will end up deleting everything from your cache drive instead.

Trurl, your discussion describes exactly how I screwed up. Except, it was not unintentional, it was,as the saying goes, "Stupid is as stupid does." But in my defense, I had no idea Linux was case sensitive. Lol Thanks for explaining this to me.

Now, the question. I have a user share called "Cache" created from a a top level share on disk 4 by that same name. My cache disk is labeled "cache.

I need to delete the "Cache" share. Once I do this I think I will be fine. The problem is that I cannot delete the Cache share on disk 4. I have Googled this , but most solutions discuss what to use, and very little about what syntax to use. I can open telnet. but do not know where to go from there. With Midnight commander I am at a lost as to how to get my network, and the server. Someone suggested using a delete button on the share's setting page, but did not find one. By the way, the Cache directory on disk 4 is empty.

I would appreciate a tip on how to delete this share.

Thanks

I have 6 disks plus the cache drive. Disk 4 only has the Cache share and it is empty. However, the cache drive has identical shares, and they are also empty.  I have included a pic for each of the two disks in question.

Just as a double check, where exactly should I find the delete button, previously described.

cache.jpg.da428a29c4e62df3fe427594751d2dcc.jpg

59c1bd4163f33_disk4.jpg.cdde8a469beb309c15759ac0304ad6f5.jpg

Note: While looking for the button again, I noticed the Cache share status  indicates the share still contains data. SO, I don't know......

Edited by Two Wire
Add more info

If these are screenshots from Windows, then like I said, Windows can't tell the difference between a user share named Cache and a disk named cache. So we don't know what you have there.

Go to Global Share Settings and turn off Disk Shares. You don't really need them to fix this problem, and I don't think you need Disk Shares at all if you use User Shares correctly. I always recommend not sharing disks and only using user shares. Not only can disk shares cause this problem, but you can also cause actual data loss if you mix user shares and disk shares when moving or copying files.

I never suggested that you turn off user shares. And I don't recommend doing that, I recommend turning off disk shares. And however you have things shared on the network should have no effect on whether or not you can work with those files and folders from the command line.

So, I don't really understand what you mean, but if you think it is good now I guess we will just let it go.

Trurl,

When I turned off the disk shares I had a thought. Thinking about the Windows explorer confusion you mentioned in earlier posts,  I wondered if that confusion would still be there with these shares removed.   So I brought the disk shares back on line and removed the user shares. Having done this, I was then able to  delete the old Cache directory on disk 4. I then brought the user shares back online and discovered that my missing plugins and other shares had returned to cache drive. They had not been missing after all. Just lost in the confusion

Once again, thanks for the replies. I learned a lot