External (non unRAID webui) Start of VMs

DDock

I tried looking for somethings, but not finding anything right now. Is there a way to have other users to remotely start their VMs without having access to the unRAID webui? I have a brother and a friend who have game servers on my unRAID box, but they are those who find a game, play it for a couple weeks and move to something else. Is there a plugin/other utility that I could use to allow them to start their own VMs when they have been shut down. At times they go weeks without using it and I would like to free up some resources when they are not using it. I have a web server that SSL proxy forwards everything including Guacamole in which they use for accessing the VMs. 

I'm sure there is s command. I've never seen it documented. @bonienl might be able to help. If you run the command "ps -ef|grep STRING" where STRING is the name of your VM, you might find the command line associated with the running process. Doesn't always work, but often points you in the right direction.

Once you find it, post it. Would be handy info for the forums to have.

19 hours ago, BobPhoenix said:

Think that is what Tuftuf said didn't work in his post.

Thank you, my message was a bit rushed but I thought that was still pretty clear!

On 20/09/2017 at 3:21 PM, dvd.collector said:

I use the addon "Virtual Machine Wake On Lan" and just use my phone to send a wake on lan request.

Can you enlighten us on any changes you needed to make other than installing the plugin? I can't recall what I tried now but a couple of thoughts now are there might be a bios setting for it (I think I looked for this) or maybe my firewall is blocking it but based my understanding I allowed through the required traffic.

How is your VM networking setup? VLAN? Bridge?

12 hours ago, Tuftuf said:

Thank you, my message was a bit rushed but I thought that was still pretty clear!

Can you enlighten us on any changes you needed to make other than installing the plugin? I can't recall what I tried now but a couple of thoughts now are there might be a bios setting for it (I think I looked for this) or maybe my firewall is blocking it but based my understanding I allowed through the required traffic.

How is your VM networking setup? VLAN? Bridge?

I had no idea "LibvirtdWOL" and "Virtual Machine Wake On Lan" were the same thing.  Sounds like you know more than I, so I'll leave you to it.

14 hours ago, dvd.collector said:

I had no idea "LibvirtdWOL" and "Virtual Machine Wake On Lan" were the same thing.  Sounds like you know more than I, so I'll leave you to it.

And the point in replying when you have decided to offer no help what so ever was and would seem quite capable of offering some.

Edit - Take a look at the icon for the plugin you installed.

Edited by Tuftuf
On 9/19/2017 at 8:19 AM, bjp999 said:

I'm sure there is s command. I've never seen it documented. @bonienl might be able to help. If you run the command "ps -ef|grep STRING" where STRING is the name of your VM, you might find the command line associated with the running process. Doesn't always work, but often points you in the right direction.

Once you find it, post it. Would be handy info for the forums to have.

If you run that command, you'd find the command line associated with your running VM.

Here is the beginning of the command for my Win10 VM - it is extremely long! Probably 3000 characters or longer.

/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 -name guest=Epsilon,debug-threads=on -S -object secret,id=masterKey0,format=raw, ...

Good luck with wake on lan or whatever you choose.

I use the Virtual Machine Wake On Lan plugin with iOS app Mocha WOL to wake two VMs without problems. One is LibreElec ant the other Mac OS. Never tried it with Windows.
Apart from installing the plugin and enabling it under Settings/VM manager, i also have assigned static IPs to the VMs in my router.
In the mocha app I've configured each VMs MAC address and static IP.
Can't remember if I had to change any settings within each VM but don't think so.

Don't think it would work via a reverse proxy though, as you're not on the same LAN as the host.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1