mini ITX possible????

I don't have hard numbers to work from, so what follows is simply my understanding based on perusing the forums, etc. Those with better information than I can confirm or deny my comments.

Disclaimer out of the way, here's my take: the minimum requirements are based on the fact that the parity calculations are performed by the CPU. If by "a few HDD", you mean 3-6, and you are willing to accept very slow performance when writing files or (especially) performing full parity calculations, then I would think it would work. For routine data reads you should be fine, although multiple simultaneous reads might also show some performance issues.

If you decide to go with this configuration, I'm sure Tom would love to see a performance report. So would a lot of the rest of us. :) Let us know how it goes.

I don't have hard numbers to work from, so what follows is simply my understanding based on perusing the forums, etc. Those with better information than I can confirm or deny my comments.

Disclaimer out of the way, here's my take: the minimum requirements are based on the fact that the parity calculations are performed by the CPU. If by "a few HDD", you mean 3-6, and you are willing to accept very slow performance when writing files or (especially) performing full parity calculations, then I would think it would work. For routine data reads you should be fine, although multiple simultaneous reads might also show some performance issues.

If you decide to go with this configuration, I'm sure Tom would love to see a performance report. So would a lot of the rest of us. :) Let us know how it goes.

When testing a disk rebuild of  a failed disk on my 8 disk array while simultaneously serving 4 DVD ISO images from the failed drive my 2gHz Celeron processor was nearly 70% idle. (my unRaid server was therefore doing 5 sets of parity calculations and the CPU was not stressed) I have a feeling you will not notice much difference with your 1 GHz processor. 

The biggest issue you will face is memory usage.  I do not know if unRaid will run in 256 Meg of ram.  I do know that I've read of Slackware 2.6 being run with less, so it might work, especially if you have fewer disks. (unRaid is based on Slackware 2.6)

Another issue will be the network card driver.  unraid includes driver modules for  many of the gigabyte LAN chipsets, but you may need to ask Tom about an older slower chipset on an older motherboard.

In any case, just download the trial version and see if will boot in your motherboard.  Log in as root and check out /var/log/syslog to see if your network card and disks were detected.  Don't start the array, or assign and re-format any drives unless you are ready to clear them.    their existing contents will be deleted as part of the clearing process.

Joe L.

Thanks guys. I will give it a whirl. Im only going to be streaming to a XBMC. I wont be streaming multiple files. I can take a performance hit there. I can also put up to a gig into the mITX's one dimm, the boards just coming with 256. Ill give it a whirl. Should get all the components this week, and get it setup early next.

Chris

Just to add a point that was not mentioned (but may be overlooked by a new-comer):

For the newer 2.6 kernel and the widest hardware support, make sure you test with the latest V4.0-beta (currently beta9) that is available from the announcements area of the forum.

Tom has already mentioned that new installations should utilise the latest V4.0 beta (which so far seems to performing well on my new unRAID server build), however for new-comers the link on the main "unRAID Server Basic" web page still of course points to the current V3.0 release (which is based on the older 2.4 kernel).

Instead of waiting for Tom to update unRaid, is it worth picking up a gigabit PCI card? If so what do you guys recommend. Is gigabit backwards compatible with 10/100MBps?

yes, it is backwards compatible. 

Also... Yesterday Tom said he was going to try to get the next release of unRaid out either later that evening, or today... so... you might not need a new network card if you can wait a tiny bit longer. 

Joe L.

Hey guys so its up and running,  Ill be getting my data drive this weekend then we can really get it going. To login as root, I just type root at Tower Login right? Im trying to see /var/log/syslog but im getting permission denied. Please advise, Im a linuix noob but learn quick

• 8 months later...

May I ask which specific mobo you got this working with??

I have an VIA Epia ME 6000 (M series, CLE266 chipset)  that I can't get to boot with the latest release (or any previous).

I either get a message during boot:

"Panic: CPU too old for kernal" (or something like that)

or it gets pretty deep into loading the OS from the usb key then it spontaneously resets.

I have 1 GB RAM

I'd be pretty happy to get it running with this mobo since it's just sitting in a desk drawer.