Slow GUI (all of a sudden)

DavidIrwin

This is going to sound really odd, and I have been unable to work out what is going on so hope someone can help me.

Firstly I will say that unRAID is (and has been) running really well for me. I have a simple setup which is an HP MicroServer with 4xHDD (3d+1p), 1xSSD (cache) running unRAID 6.3.5.

Today when I was starting my periodic updates (docker image updates & plugin updates) the unRAID gui started being really unresponsive. All of the docers run fine, share access is fine but any time I try to load a page in the unRAID GUI which shows anything to do with Docker images it takes AGES for the page to load. Most pages load in <2 seconds, ones with Docker stuff on (e.g. Docker or Dashboard) well over 2 minutes.

I rebooted the server with a clean shutdown of each docker image, stop of the array, etc. and all started back up fine (although maybe slower than normal) so thought I would ask the question. I am seeing some odd display of the docker images (missing icons - see screenshot) and have attached a diagnostics in case this helps.

Anyone able to point me at what may have started causing this? it is a real pain waiting for the ui to load when checking things.

2017-09-22 18_22_52-DavidServer_Dashboard.png

davidserver-diagnostics-20170922-1822.zip

39 minutes ago, markiii said:

I am indeed using sky broadband, tell me more?

I've not managed to work this out (I don't have traffic monitoring on my home network) but my theory is that during the process of looking at docker related pages in the unRAID UI a call is going to somewhere on the internet which is timing out before the UI is returned.

I am on Sky BB so was looking for correlations. I am currently trying to work out how to start monitoring network traffic (a-la-wireshark) on a network without a managed switch.

Can anyone who knows more about unRAID than me comment on whether I am chasing dragons?

Edited by DavidIrwin
correct typo

hopefully not speaking to soon but I think I fixed it

I found this article

http://odino.org/cannot-connect-to-the-internet-from-your-docker-containers/

so tried changing my DNS servers to use googles, and it seems to have solved the problem.  Before using Sky I was with BT Broadband and was using their DNS servers, this hadn;t seemed to be an issue before

wondering why it might now be an issue I came across this

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Forum-Info-Off-Topic-Chat/NOW-TV-Smart-DNS-block-INSIDE-the-UK/td-p/352954/page/2

which I think may explain why.

I'm going to try skys own DNS server and see if that works

2 hours ago, bonienl said:

Can you check if there is any corruption on the flash device. This can be done by taking the USB stick out and let it check on a Windows machine.

Shutdown, removed memory stick, put in my Windows 10 desktop. No issues.

Backup of USB taken.

Reinserted in server and booted again. Took absolutely ages to start, but I assume this was waiting for the docker images to all start or the UI to update once they had.

Edited by DavidIrwin
1 hour ago, markiii said:

hopefully not speaking to soon but I think I fixed it

I found this article

http://odino.org/cannot-connect-to-the-internet-from-your-docker-containers/

so tried changing my DNS servers to use googles, and it seems to have solved the problem.  Before using Sky I was with BT Broadband and was using their DNS servers, this hadn;t seemed to be an issue before

wondering why it might now be an issue I came across this

https://community.nowtv.com/t5/Forum-Info-Off-Topic-Chat/NOW-TV-Smart-DNS-block-INSIDE-the-UK/td-p/352954/page/2

which I think may explain why.

I'm going to try skys own DNS server and see if that works

Where did you change your DNS settings? In the unRAID configuration or at the router?

18 hours ago, markiii said:

in the unraid network settings,

I too could resolve and ping fine from an unraid console

Thank you.

I had my doubts but the server was quiet enought to stop everything this morning, the DNS is now 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 and everything is working at full speed.

I really wonder what Sky broke in their DNS resolution but will leave my curiosity alone for now :)