Jump to content
lankanmon

(Solved) Access unRAID GUI Remotely?

11 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Hello all, I have recently started using the built-in GUI on unRAID due to an install requirement and actually like it. In fact, I would like to dedicate a separate monitor to have system stats always visible at a quick glance. The issue that I have is that I do not want to dedicate a mouse and keyboard just for GUI when most of the CLI stuff is done from my main pc by SSH. 

 

So my question is:

- Is there a way to pass mouse or keyboard signals straight to unRAID GUI with something like Synergy (https://github.com/symless/synergy-core), which I have used with multiple Linux pcs.

or, at least

- access the GUI via VNC?

 

So that I can make any changes to the content shown on the dedicated screen without leaving my Main PC or having to dedicate a mouse and keyboard for it?

 

Any ideas will be much appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post

The normal way to access the GUI is with a web browser from any computer on your LAN.

 

And it is not typical to use CLI to control unRAID.

 

So it sounds like you aren't really doing things the normal and recommended way.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, trurl said:

The normal way to access the GUI is with a web browser from any computer on your LAN.

 

And it is not typical to use CLI to control unRAID.

 

So it sounds like you aren't really doing things the normal and recommended way.

 

Oh yeah for sure, I use the web interface. I only learned about the GUI one recently. What I want to do is to open up firefox and have netdata running on the dedicated monitor to or to have htop running.

 

I just want to be able to access the gui on occasion which is why I don't want to dedicate any interfaces. 

 

I only use CLI for some transfers via RClone or other admin tasks. Never on a regular basis. 

 

52 minutes ago, CrimsonTyphoon said:

If your board supports IPMI then you can see the screen remotely via KVM, although you really don't need to...

 

My board does support IPMI, but KVM is really laggy (its an older supermicro board). If there were a way to access via VNC like with VMs it would be a bit easier to use.

Share this post


Link to post

I don't understand your issue. For the few occasions that you want to access the GUI, just open it in a web browser?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, NeoDude said:

I don't understand your issue. For the few occasions that you want to access the GUI, just open it in a web browser?

Sorry, I don't think I am explaining my question. The GUI that I want to access is the Desktop GUI because I want to leave it displayed on a monitor (so I can see things at a quick glance). I am aware of the Web GUI and use it often for actual unRAID maintenance. I need to access the Desktop GUI only because I want to show server stats on a dedicated monitor.

Edited by lankanmon

Share this post


Link to post

I don't understand what the desktop gui gives you that you can't get from either an SSH connection or the webui?

 

But in answer to your question, no I don't think there's a way to open a VNC connection to the Unraid Desktop GUI that you're referring to.  I'm sure it would be possible with some jiggery pokery, but you'd be going a little off piste with that.

Share this post


Link to post

If you are referring to the System Status plugin, it is accessed from a web browser. In the case of the "desktop GUI", that web browser is Firefox, but there is no reason you can't use any web browser on any computer on your LAN to access the same thing.

 

So, we really don't understand what you are trying to accomplish that isn't already available.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, CHBMB said:

I don't understand what the desktop gui gives you that you can't get from either an SSH connection or the webui?

 

But in answer to your question, no I don't think there's a way to open a VNC connection to the Unraid Desktop GUI that you're referring to.  I'm sure it would be possible with some jiggery pokery, but you'd be going a little off piste with that.

 

41 minutes ago, trurl said:

If you are referring to the System Status plugin, it is accessed from a web browser. In the case of the "desktop GUI", that web browser is Firefox, but there is no reason you can't use any web browser on any computer on your LAN to access the same thing.

 

So, we really don't understand what you are trying to accomplish that isn't already available.

 

Okay, so I see that there is no possible way to remotely control the desktop UI from another device. 

 

What I wanted to do was simply connect a monitor to the servers VGA port and have it open to the browser url for netdata (localhost:19999) or have htop running or to have a terminal open with a screen session.

Just whatever server thing I wanted to be displayed on that monitor.

 

But doing more research, it does not seem possible since you cant really install anything to the unRAID os.

 

So what I think I need to do is have a separate VM with GUI and have the display of that output over my VGA and have that display the content. It won't be as efficient but seems like the simplest solution under the circumstances.

 

When I opened the thread, I was hoping there was a way to connect to the Desktop GUI via VNC or to install something like synergy, but that does not seem to be possible (for good reason).

 

Sorry for the confusion folks.

 

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post

Hola! lankanmon,

 

The way I did it (which worked fantabulous) was through straight hardware, but I can only really speak for my monitor setup.

 

I have a motherboard with three x16 pci-e slots, so I just put a crappy nvidia on top and two decent video cards following suit.

 

Card A: (Nvidia) connects VGA to Monitor1

Card B: Connects DVI to Monitor1; hdmi to Monitor 2

Card C: Connects hdmi to Television; dvi to Monitor 3

 

Whenever I just want to pop on over to WebGUI Unraid running out of Card A. I just hit the Input button on Monitor1.

 

I haven't solved the keyboard problem yet, but if I did I'd have "one keyboard to rule them all!!!!" type of situation going, with a single hotkey to switch between all the operating systems.

 

Lemme know if you find a solution to that.

 

Maybe this will help?

 

Hope this helps?

 

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.