SMART report errors Reported Uncorrect

Well, the rebuild is done and it yielded a very large number of fixes, deletes, etc.  Right now navigating to the lost+found share has drives spinning and an unresponsive terminal.  

Is the next step to copy files from the old disk2 (i.e., the one in the Unassigned Devices) selectively over to the new disk2 or should I copy whole folders?  What is best practice?  Should I do this via the command line or with MC?  are there reasons NOT to mount the disks via GUI (the MacOS in this case)?  

thank you.

4 hours ago, smellthebean said:

s the next step to copy files from the old disk2 (i.e., the one in the Unassigned Devices) selectively over to the new disk2 or should I copy whole folders?

You can copy files or folders, but don't overwrite the rebuilt disk in the beginning because you can get a read error on the old disk and the file on the new disk will be deleted, create a temp folder there and copy as much data as there's available space, then move all successfully copied files overwriting the existing ones, repeat that with all files on the old disk.

Once this problem is fixed I would recommend converting all disks to xfs, reiserfs is a dead filesystem and there are known issues with it, including terrible performance when disks are close to full and stability issues in some cases, since you're doing large writes to a reiser disk it may have cause problems, though I'm not saying it's the reason for the current issue still recommend converting when possible, more info here:

https://forums.lime-technology.com/topic/54769-format-xfs-on-replacement-drive-convert-from-rfs-to-xfs/

I still notice, btw, that if I do a direct mount to disk2 via Mac OS the folders have 'no permission' icons on them.  This is not the case for direct access to other disks.  Do I still need to do any sort of permission repair or rebuild?

Also, I am doing verbose copies which give results for every single file transfer.  If I do have a read error as you describe above, what the wording will be?  I have 47k lines of output and I don't know where to look for notices of errors.  Or is there a log file I can examine?

Thanks.

15 minutes ago, smellthebean said:

I still notice, btw, that if I do a direct mount to disk2 via Mac OS the folders have 'no permission' icons on them.  This is not the case for direct access to other disks.  Do I still need to do any sort of permission repair or rebuild?

You can run the newperms script, should fix any incorrect permissions:

newperms /mnt/disk2

17 minutes ago, smellthebean said:

Also, I am doing verbose copies which give results for every single file transfer.  If I do have a read error as you describe above, what the wording will be?

If there's a read error the copy will abort on that file.

I rebooted my Mac, attempted to connect to unRAID, but it was unresponsive so was forced to hard boot the latter.

I am now able to mount shares successfully.  However, when I attempt to mount a disk directly, i.e. smb://10.0.0.x/disk2 I get the 'no permissions' icons.  I could be mistaken, but in the past I believe I was able to mount volumes this way?  Is this not correct?  If not, then I can attempt the process of moving over files from the temp folder i created on disk2 over to the appropriate folders via Midnight Commander or the CLI.  I would prefer to do it via GUI, but it's not a requirement.  Diags posted.  These were from after rebooting unRAID but before starting the array.  Also, a screenshot of the 'no permissions' mount.  Thanks.

Screen Shot 2017-10-13 at 10.52.13 AM.jpg

tower-diagnostics-20171013-1046.zip

13 minutes ago, smellthebean said:

I could be mistaken, but in the past I believe I was able to mount volumes this way?  Is this not correct? 

Yes, as long as disk shares are enable, though I don't regularly use OSX so I'm not familiar with that no permissions error, go to the shares page and check if settings are correct for the disk shares.

16 minutes ago, smellthebean said:

then I can attempt the process of moving over files from the temp folder i created on disk2 over to the appropriate folders via Midnight Commander or the CLI

Yes, midnight commander is easier to use.

Diags are before array start, so not much info, if there are more issues grab new ones after array start or after any issue.

Well, it took a bit of work but i think that i am finally done moving files around.  I have to say that I am not sure what I did wrong but recovering from my mistake has taken over a week of file transfers, etc.

Right now I have a few, less used shares still have permission issues.  Can I run new perms on shares rather than disk(s)?

More importantly, I've had to do hard reboots three or four times over the last week including just now, after I thought I had reached an endpoint wrt file transfer.  This is a problem I recall happening very rarely:  stability is one thing I have not had a problem with.  I've attached diags in case something sticks out?  thanks.

tower-diagnostics-20171017-0946.zip

5 minutes ago, smellthebean said:

Right now I have a few, less used shares still have permission issues.  Can I run new perms on shares rather than disk(s)?

You can run on shares, if you go to Tools -> New Permissions you can choose which ones.

11 minutes ago, smellthebean said:

I've attached diags in case something sticks out?

Only thing that jumps out is the already mentioned reiser disks, they can cause system hangs for some users, especially after larger writes.

As I have confirmed that I have, in fact, lost data, I am trying to look at the lost+found share to see if there is any resurrectable data there.  On Midnight Commander (or by the CLI) it takes a VERY long time to open up the directory.  I have tried to open it in the Mac Finder and I just get beachballing.  I attempted to move its contents to a newly created share; this didn't help.  When I go to the web UI and try to open up the lost+found directory, I get this message:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 134217728 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 4096 bytes) in /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/include/DefaultPageLayout.php(383) : eval()'d code on line 25

Any suggestions on what to do?  I am not even sure what the contents of the lost+found directory might contain?  Sub-directories?  Thanks, yet again!

Thanks again.  It's slow going as there are thousands of directories.  My strategy now is to use regex to find files of certain types and to move these selectively.  If anyone has any other tips I would much appreciate them.  Not all of the lost files need to be recovered, but I'd like to now what I've lost.