Plex problems

nkn56

I'm not sure what the correct forum should be for the following questions, but if I have erred in posting this here, please tell me which forum I should use.  This is not an unRAID problem (or at least I don't think it is), but I am using Plex with unRAID, so that's why I'm reaching out to the unRAID community.

I am having problems with Plex and as near as I can tell, they have no tech support -- or at least I've not found a way to get them to answer my questions.  Specifically, I can't get Plex to play videos shot in portrait mode correctly.  They are always either rotated and/or the aspect ratio is completely fubar.  On my Android phone, I got around this by displaying my videos with VLC rather than the Plex internal viewer.  I just bought a Smart TV for the express purpose of watching these videos, but once again, the videos are all either rotated or otherwise completely messed up.

I know that there are alternatives to Plex, such as Emby, but Emby isn't supported on my TV (and I don't know if it would work any better anyway).  I'm wondering what my other alternatives might be.  Perhaps with a Roku connected to the TV, I might have better luck with that version of the Plex app, or I might be able to use Emby with the Roku?

Has anybody experienced and overcome problems like I'm describing?

Edit: Oh, one more thing I haven't tried.  I know that I can boot unRAID into the GUI.  Is this GUI as full-featured as connecting with a browser?  Specifically, would I be able to launch the Plex WebGUI from the console GUI?  In a few days I'll have a new video card with HDMI output (which I can then connect to my new TV) and I'll be able to answer that question for myself, but if anybody can answer me before then, please do.

Edited by nkn56
Added another question.