Protools Bounce to unRAID Server crashing PT

Falcowe

Hello all,

First off I'm new to unsaid so sorry if my information is incomplete. I have recently been working on a ProTools 12 project off my 45drives unRAID server and I was getting errors every so often during the project saying that a backup of the project couldn't be saved because it was trying to copy some weird, long-named PT session file but PT or I didn't have permission to modify the file. Again when I went to save the session a similar error presented saying I didn't have permission to write or access the folder. And finally when I tried bouncing to the server (after restarting PT because I couldn't save the session to the server folder) PT would freeze either after the first bounce, or the second bounce I attempted. And when I went to delete the files from the server (since they were useless anyway) I found that I didn't have the permission to modify them (including deleting them). Any ideas why this may be happening? In other uses (i.e. streaming mkv files, Adobe Prelude logging, or even playback on PT) everything seems to be fine. 

TechSpecs:

- unRAID 6.3.5

- Mac Pro 6,1 (Trashcan) 

- Mac OS 10.12.6 (Sierra)

- Mounting SMB share to MacOS from unRAID

- ProTools 12.8 (non-HD)

I will attach some images of the exact errors I am getting as soon as I can, and any other info that is requested. Thanks in advance for your help! 

Edited by Falcowe

Thanks for the suggestion wgstarks. I tried that with my SMB share and I was still getting the same issue. But with your idea in mind I tried the AFP export that unRAID supports and found that with both guest and user login there didn't seem to be any issues (at least in this initial testing that I have done). So I guess it seems to be something with the permissions of SMB and OSX talking to each other. Intrestingly I should also note that in further testing I found that only the mp3 (of a wav and mp3 bounce) and the PTX session file would get locked. I'd like to still get SMB shares working however with AFP functioning at least it will work for now. 

Edited by Falcowe
  • 1 month later...

I just wanted to update this thread. So it seems as if this is working pretty well. However there are a few problems left.

1. Protools isn't able to do its automated session backup process. So I'll get a warning messages saying I don't have sufficient privileges to write to the disk (or something close to that). Annoying but since I can save the project via [command] - s or the "File" menu its not a deal breaker. Just really annoying. 

2. Sometime when I mount the "Production" share that all of my Protools data is on, I'll get a bunch of little red circles with white horizontal lines in them (indicating that I don't have sufficient privileges to access the folders). If I then disconnect from the server and relaunch Finder, this seems to fix the problem consistently. However I have tried just disconnecting and reconnecting and that will occasionally work. As will cycling the network connection. Again I have been able to work around this successfully, but any ideas on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks!

Russ Uno, I checked it and R/W permissions for the folder in question are for all users. Although interestingly the mounted share (network drive) is only R/W for the "(unknown)" user.  However I am trying to use the SMB shares since in my testing I was getting higher throughput on SMB and about half the throughput on AFP. 

On 11/9/2017 at 10:12 AM, Falcowe said:

1. Protools isn't able to do its automated session backup process. So I'll get a warning messages saying I don't have sufficient privileges to write to the disk (or something close to that). Annoying but since I can save the project via [command] - s or the "File" menu its not a deal breaker. Just really annoying.

Do you have this issue with auto save? Or is it just the Auto Backup? Auto backup is not the same, it creates new files labeled with .bak and only keeps X number of them. So say it is set for 10 then when it reaches 11 it will delete the first one and replace it with the newest. Maybe the issue is deleting the old files and not the save process since you can use Command+S without issue. You can test it by deleting all the backups (if you want to live dangerously) and see how long it takes for the error to appear. If you set the backups every 10 miniutes with 10 backups it should take 100 minutes before the error shows up. I've only used a backup maybe twice in 17 years..Running PT 4, 5, 6, 7 and 10 HD, I skipped 8 and 9.

Edited by Russ Uno

Yes, you're correct, no auto save, just auto save for the backup files.... don't know why I even said that. I've only been using it since v4.

And that auto save for backups has been a source of problems for some users, as I recall for a long time. Though I have never had any issues with it.

Protools is a fussy app if things are not exactly how they, Avid, expect it to be but it's fantastic if you follow the rules to the letter.

You could run and save the session files from a local drive and save your audio files to your external, NAS, UnRaid, thereby getting around the problem of the auto save issue to the NAS.. When you're done you could copy the local files back to the NAS (for backup).

You need to set up the session locally so all associated files are local then move/copy the session folder to the NAS,  run the session locally, re-link the audio to the NAS then delete the local Audio..