Out of Memory and Call Trace, help please? 6.3.5

dyker

Hi, for the first time since I set up (March 2017) I have call trace and out of memory errors starting last week.  Attached is the log.  I would really appreciate it if someone would kindly review and tell me what is wrong, and please provide me with guidance.

I'm sure the log will reveal all of this but I am running Unraid 6.3.5 with 16GB ECC memory.  I am not running VMs but I am running 2 dockers (3 installed).

• Mineos-docker (running for a few months)
  • stuckless-sagetv-server-java8 (updated around 25 days ago) (this is software to record over the air TV and also has a program within it call comskip which marks commercial breaks on the recordings) 
  • Zoneminder (not running)

I just let these two dockers run with defaults and I don't limit any memory, nor do I know if I can within the docker space.

Thanks you!

Out Of Memory errors detected on your server  

Your server has run out of memory, and processes (potentially required) are being killed off. You should post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums

and

Call Traces found on your server  

Your server has issued one or more call traces. This could be caused by a Kernel Issue, Bad Memory, etc. You should post your diagnostics and ask for assistance on the unRaid forums

vdunraid-diagnostics-20170930-0909.zip

OK Thanks I did click the link and read the thread... I'm installing tips and tweaks now.  I've got a pretty vanilla Unraid and didn't want to make changes without double checking.  Wanted to be sure it wasn't one of my dockers causing the issue.

@johnnie.black I really appreciate the reply. 

You helped me understand that because I have 16GB memory and currently have defaults for RAM cache, a lot of data gets cached up over time, and when it hits the limit and finally streams off to disk it's a very busy time on the server during which an out of memory error occurred, more or less. 

I posted the below references for anyone who happens to find this thread by "searching".

Per Tips and Tweaks Plug-in

6.3 and 6.4

• Some people are reporting OOM (out of memory) errors in 6.4. This seems to be occurring more now because of the large amounts of memory being installed in unRAID and the default disk cache settings defaulting too high. If you are experiencing OOM errors try adjusting the Disk Cache settings on the Tweaks page.

vm.dirty_background_ratio is the percentage of system memory that can be filled with “dirty” pages — memory pages that still need to be written to disk — before the pdflush/flush/kdmflush background processes kick in to write it to disk. My example is 10%, so if my virtual server has 32 GB of memory that’s 3.2 GB of data that can be sitting in RAM before something is done.

vm.dirty_ratio is the absolute maximum amount of system memory that can be filled with dirty pages before everything must get committed to disk. When the system gets to this point all new I/O blocks until dirty pages have been written to disk. This is often the source of long I/O pauses, but is a safeguard against too much data being cached unsafely in memory. 

reference

Edited by dyker
  • 3 years later...