Audio/Video Sync Issues in VM's

I am having issues with audio/video going out of sync when watching videos within any web browser, from any website. Netflix, hulu, youtube, chrome, firefox, edge...

Running 2 different Windows 10 VM's. Video cards are Radeon 7850 and a 6450. Passing through the card integrated audio and running via HDMI.

Never used to have an issue, really not sure what caused the issue to crop up. Anyone else experiencing it or can point me in some direction for a fix?

Same problem here, with Nvidia card.

- Only desyncs from websites/browsers (Using Chrome, haven't checked with other browsers), no problem using media players.

- Only happens on HDMI Audio passthrough (Does NOT happen when using 6-channel audio).

- Have tried both enabling/disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome.

NotYetRated: I've read some threads here talking about enabling MSI.

Some people have enabled MSI with success. I have had it enabled (and confirmed enabled) but it made the problem even worse, audio was suddenly stuttering like crazy. So currently living with having to refresh the page every once in a while when watching streams from Twitch or similar, and have had to resort to using my Chromecast a lot more xD.

Wiki: https://wiki.lime-technology.com/UnRAID_6/VM_Guest_Support#Enable_MSI_for_Interrupts_to_Fix_HDMI_Audio_Support

Others have talked about CPU pinning fixing the problem, I have yet to try that.

Edited by cyberdude

I have pinned CPU cores for a while now, so doubt that will fix the issue. Just checked, and both of my VM's shows MSI as enabled. I have never tinkered with this to turn it on or off, so I assume its always been on, even when I was not having audio/video issues.

It is quite maddening! I too have been using chromecast for a lot of stuff now.

Also, I noticed I have this issue on my VMs using Plex Media Player, but not Plex Home Theater. Quite odd.... Still no luck identifying the issue or any solutions.

I'm having the same issue on a rebuilt Win10 VM. I changed out the graphics card and ensured MSI+ and that had no impact. Really odd behavior. 

Definitely did not happen on any of my previous VMs. Hopefully someone can identify a potential solution.

Edited to add that I built 2 more VMs and it is happening on all of them.

Edited by bhinkle50

I believe that this is related to the DirectPlay. If I watch video with VLC or MPC, there is no fading out of sync. But with Plex using DirectPlay, it happens readily.

Dragging the slider to advance or back up the current watching position does not re-establish sync, but reloading the video and then advancing to the point near where you were watching works. A bit annoying for sure.

Not sure why it affects VMs but not bare metal Windows.

@gridrunner, any thoughts on this?

After installing a Windows 7 VM and letting Windows pick the audio/video drivers for my card, I have had a problem free experience for multiple hours across multiple different shows. On chrome, Internet Explorer, within Plex Media Player as well as Open Plex Home Theater. I have plex set to not transcode anything, all playing direct.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, just a quick update on my status/progress/findings.

I was never able to correct the issue using AMD 6450 w/Windows 10. I was able to get it working perfectly using Windows 7 and the AMD 6450.

I replaced the AMD 6450 and dropped an Nvidia 1050 Ti into the original Win10 machine having issues, and all is well with that! I did have to extract the ROM from the NVIDIA card, but it was only about a 5 minute process performing it for my first time.

• 1 month later...
On 11/10/2017 at 9:39 AM, NotYetRated said:

Hi all, just a quick update on my status/progress/findings.

I was never able to correct the issue using AMD 6450 w/Windows 10. I was able to get it working perfectly using Windows 7 and the AMD 6450.

I replaced the AMD 6450 and dropped an Nvidia 1050 Ti into the original Win10 machine having issues, and all is well with that! I did have to extract the ROM from the NVIDIA card, but it was only about a 5 minute process performing it for my first time.

Another update, girlfriend accidentally took and installed windows updates and viola, the sync issues have reappeared. Im out of patience and ideas.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this to see if a solution was ever found. 

I installed a fresh Win10 VM off the newest ISO directly from Microsoft this week and am encountering this problem.  I'm running a GTX1080 card, using the hdmi audio on it, and keep getting the audio losing sync on Chrome streaming video.  The weird thing is the audio is moving ahead of the video, and a refresh of the stream seems to fix it.  Have all the MSI stuff enabled and double checked, along with the drivers.  

Thanks in advance for any help. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Guys, I think I found a solution that really works, it is, VoiceMeeter, is a free application that is intended to mix several audio inputs and have several audio outputs, works to streams (like twitch an so) but it can be used as a good solution for audio. Basically you will use this app to "FORCE" an DirectPlay Output all the time.

The app adds an Virtual Sound Device, you can choose that device as a default audio output, and then from the app handle which devices will output them.

I've been using it for a while and it remove the sync problems I have. In my case I'm using an AMD FX-8350 and the solution of emulators pins doesn't totally works as AMD cores doesn't seem to be the same ones after each reset, so core 1 can be core 7 in next restart, so I need to reconfigure it every time I restart unraid.

I'm using the "Banana" edition as is the most balanced for what I do and the devices I have.

Hope this helps