[SOLVED] [V6.3.5] Unmountable cache drive

I have an 8 drive 40TB array (7 data plus one parity drive) and a cache pool consisting of two 500GB SSD drives. I am still at the stage where I am transferring data from my other PCs to my NAS and have temporarily switched off using the cache in the various user shares I have set up.

I was taking the array offline to enable me to switch settings so I can use two LAN ports and it seemed to take ages to go offline - the progress message near the bottom of the screen was still showing "Spinning up all drives... Stopping services...". I clicked away from Main to another page and when I went back to the Main page, I noticed some inconsistent messages. Firstly it was still showing "Spinning up all drives... Stopping services...", but underneath in Red it said "Array Stopped", yet above in the Array Operation section the green light was still alongside "Started" (but with the "Stop" on the same line greyed out). I then noticed a "Fix Common Problems" message popping up and that the first drive of my cache pool was now showing as unmountable.

The "Fix Common Problems" warning is telling me to "run  the file system checks" in unRAID Main but I can't see that option on the page. There won't be any media data on the cache but I'm not quite sure what I should be doing next.

Many thanks

Alan

Edited by soulman1949

Hmm looks like I've got major problems here.

I managed to get the system to finally accept a format but that doesn't complete. It starts OK but the format process seems to freeze after a few minutes.

I notice that the installed Plug-ins are there ok and all my shares are showing and seem to be correct content-wise. But the Dashboard no longer shows PlexMediaServer and Konqueror and I can't get a network connection to my Windows PC even though my router recognises the connection and web access is available. It looks like the config is well and truly screwed and unfortunately I hadn't yet taken a backup. :-(

Unless I'm mistaken I need to do a full reinstallation. I have a number of array drives with media on them and presumably the data on them needs to be removed before I do anything else. Fortunately I have a number of unassigned drives attached which I can use to accommodate the data and presumably I can attach some external drives via USB to accommodate my data. Do I need to redownload a new image of unRAID? I'm not sure if that gets changed during configuration changes.

Perhaps someone could confirm how I should proceed.

Thanks

Alan

1 hour ago, soulman1949 said:

I managed to get the system to finally accept a format but that doesn't complete. It starts OK but the format process seems to freeze after a few minutes.

If you can get them current diagnostics may have some clues.

59 minutes ago, soulman1949 said:

Unless I'm mistaken I need to do a full reinstallation. I have a number of array drives with media on them and presumably the data on them needs to be removed before I do anything else

If you mean redoing the flashdrive, you can keep the current array data, just redo it and copy only the key and config\super.dat from current flash.

• Like 1

Thanks johnnie.black, I redid the flashdrive and copied the files you recommended. I've added the two SSDs to the cache and all is well and also now have my network back, many thanks.

I'll start a new topic on restoring the various plug-ins etc as this particular issue has been resolved. Many thanks again.

Edited by soulman1949