[6.3.5] Windows 7 VM crashes daily

Lately we’ve been having some issues with my unRAID 6.3.5 installation, specifically with the VM host function.

Currently we have 4 VMs installed, two of them always running, and one of those crashes daily. I have attached the diagnostic files, the VM with issues is called ‘Tango Server’, and the log entry for the crash is the following:

2017-10-12 16:09:23.104+0000: shutting down, reason=crashed

I'm suspecting it's a hardware issue, since the PC running unRAID is quite old and we've had some issues with another desktop with the same parts. 

Any help would be appreciated.

tower-diagnostics-20171013-1250.zip

Hi Juan,

Your logs just look littered with call trace after call trace relating to memory management issues.  These are not OOM (out of memory) messages that would appear if your VMs are consuming too much system RAM, but rather, kernel panics that are likely the result of hardware errors.  I also see call traces relating to XFS errors.

Almost the entirety of your system log is just riddled with call trace after call trace.  The only suggestion I might have is to check and see if a motherboard BIOS update is available for that system which may or may not resolve the issues.  If that doesn't work or isn't available, I would have to suggest new hardware at this point.

Hi Jon, thanks for the reply.

I'll see if there's a BIOS update available for this board, and I'll try running memtest to see if it's another bad stick of RAM, although at this point I suspect a bad board, or some problem that's constantly breaking any new RAM sticks I install.

I'll post any updates I have.