Windows 10 v1709 (Fall Creator's Update), 2 unRAID servers, one SMB works, one doesn't

I'm at a loss, and could really use help troubleshooting this issue.

I have two unRAID servers on my home network, both running version 6.3.5, both configured with static IP addresses.

I'm using basic WORKGROUP setup for windows networking, not a Domain or Active Directory.

(I'll refer to my older server as Server A and my newer one as Server B)

Server A = AMD Athlon, 8GB RAM, 16TB, no Docker or VMs configured

Server B = Core i5 4950, 24GB RAM, 20TB, no Docker, KVM is hosting one vm

I have one Windows 10 Pro x64 client is running as a pass-through VM on Server B. That VM just auto-updated from Windows 10 v1703 to v1709 (Fall Creator's update).

I've been able to access both servers via server name or IP address from any Windows machine or VM on my network for some time.

From that VM only, I'm seeing weird behavior trying to browse files in Windows Explorer.

I cannot ping either server by machine name.

I cannot browse files on either server by machine name

I can ping both Server A and Server B by IP address.

I can browse files on Server B by IP address.

I cannot browse files on Server A by IP address

I get Error Code 0x80004005, Unspecified Error

From other machines on my network, both Windows 10 v1703 and Windows 7, I can browse files by name or IP address just fine.

If I change the static IP assignment on Server A (say from x.68 to x.168), I can browse files by IP address from the VM.

If I change that static IP back to its original value, I can't browse files by IP address.

I've tried resetting the network settings (netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt)

I've tried updating the VM's network driver,  using the latest RedHat KVM drivers (virtio-win-0.1.141.iso)

I've tried switching which unRAID server is set up as the WINS master browser.

I've entirely disabled the Windows Firewall and my AVAST antivirus software.

I've tried clearing the DNS and WINS caches using these Windows commands

ipconfig /flushdns

nbtstat –R

After searching for hours, I just found the solution

Control Panel\User Accounts\Credential Manager

I deleted all saved credentials for that server, every entry, listed by server name and by IP address.

After removing those saved credentials, I can browse the server again.

I'm going ahead and posting this for documentation, in case anyone else runs into a similar issue.

<edit - corrected references to Windows 10 v1703, and corrected typo in title>

Edited by stewartwb
  • Like 1

I am running 1703. Not sure when 1709 is coming.

I have had similar problems with DNS name being recognized, and added my unRAID server and IP to my "hosts" file a while back. That cleared up my problems at the time. Might try that.

If the IP address has changed, there is caching that occurs (separately for browser and Windows). I've had cases where the browser would not open my unRAID server by IP, but that I was able to open a putty session in Windows. Google can help you with methods of clearing these two DNS caches. And also time will take care of it.

Watching this with interest. Please keep us updated!

Control Panel\User Accounts\Credential Manager

I deleted all saved credentials for that server, every entry, listed by server name and by IP address.

After removing those saved credentials, I can browse the server again.

@meoge - you seem to have the same issue I was seeing, unable to connect via name or IP address.

Have you tried deleting any credentials directed at your unRAID machine? That's what fixed it for me.

I figured it out after I'd typed up my post, so I went ahead with the initial post and solution for others who may need it.

7 hours ago, SSD said:

If the IP address has changed, there is caching that occurs (separately for browser and Windows). I've had cases where the browser would not open my unRAID server by IP,

@SSD - I was able to connect by name and/or IP to the unRAID web interface for both servers. Ping also worked fine for both by IP address. I just couldn't browse files using Windows Explorer (SMB).

I tried adding a HOSTS entry to the server I couldn't reach, but that didn't help.

Apparently after my Windows 10 VM was upgraded to 1709, the credentials it had saved to connect to Server A by IP and by Server Name would not work correctly, and it threw an unhelpful (Microsoft-standard?) error message each time I tried. The credentials are anonymous, not a custom name / pwd created in the unRAID GUI.

Using Control Panel\User Accounts\Credential Manager, I deleted the saved credentials, and everything started working properly again.

47 minutes ago, stewartwb said:

Using Control Panel\User Accounts\Credential Manager, I deleted the saved credentials, and everything started working properly again.

Thanks @stewartwb!  Gotta love this Windows 10 world where beta code can land our your hard disk with no warning.

I just looking in my Credentials Manager and don't see what I would need to delete if I was hit with this problem.

See screenshot below. Can you indicate what you saw and what you did. (BTW - no idea what that generic credential is, but did a search and evidently it is normal).

Capture.thumb.PNG.cfd18f8b174e0386900b5941a8c3219d.PNG

12 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

There's no general problem with unRAID and latest Windows update, I can connect fine without any issues, and as you can see it's using SMB3:

smb.png.c572507eac2ef8bee22bd8afd35a5400.png

Assuming you have tested using Private shares (I have no issue otherwise), do you mind posting your current unraid smb config ?
I've seen many different threads recommending many different variations in the smb config, so in my case it might be a simple misconfiguration ?

note: I have cleaned my credentials (many times)

Worked out the issue, well sort of...

Most threads with samba issues had advised add "ntlm auth = yes" to samba config.

Removing it (to default config like johnnie) meant I lost access to everything, including previously accessible non-private shares.

Then it dawned on me, there are also name resolving issues, and sure enough all my shares are using the server name not IP.
Connected via IP address instead of server name, no longer an issue!

Now to work out why names aren't resolving properly :/

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I recived the Fall (Fail) update. It caused issues similar to those in this post. I could not fix it though be deleting the credentials. I googled some and found this Windows Support article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education does not longer allow anonymous connection to SMB by default. I run Education version and managed to fix it by changing this registry entry to 1.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]
"AllowInsecureGuestAuth"=dword:1
On 08/12/2017 at 4:56 PM, SM411 said:

Yesterday I recived the Fall (Fail) update. It caused issues similar to those in this post. I could not fix it though be deleting the credentials. I googled some and found this Windows Support article:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4046019/guest-access-smb2-disabled-by-default-in-windows-10-server-2016

Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Education does not longer allow anonymous connection to SMB by default. I run Education version and managed to fix it by changing this registry entry to 1.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanWorkstation\Parameters]

I have Windows 10 Enterprise. I also updated to "Fall Creators Update" a few days ago and suddenly couldn't access my shares, even though I could ping Unraid.

This registry update fixed the issue for me. Many thanks @SM411

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

My enterprise version of Win 10 Pro - 1709 would not work with what I tried...

I tried:

1. Reverting back to SMB 1

2. AllowInsecureGuestAuth = 1

various other tips/tricks/hacks found on google to get rid of the 0x80004005 error message when I type: \\myunraidserver.domain

Reboot after reboot...nothing worked.

So, I installed NFS client for Win 10. Worked like a charm.

• 2 months later...

Just FYI - after countless attempts with different hints & tips (see above)  enabling SMBv1 finally worked for me - I can see my NAS again.

Strange thin, though, is that I have to do the same (use SMBv1) when I want to access the NAS from my Android phone.

For me that means, it can't just be Windows, can it?

Edited by whauk
  • 6 months later...
On 12/8/2017 at 4:56 PM, SM411 said:

You absolute legend. Stupid Microsoft and their stupid hidden settings.